• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Sound Bites Of Jesus

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
One of my favorites because it calls out the majority of Christians as hypocrites. They can't help but constantly testifying loudly and publicly to their belief. They wear their faith on their sleeves for show.

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Mark 10, Luke 12, 14, 18, Matthew 19
Sell all you have and give to the poor.

Luke 14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

Christians: "Jesus didn't mean ME!".

Luke 14
26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Christians love this one.

(A Pauline sound bite...doesn't he explain Jesus' teachings to us?)
Romans 13: Obey all state authorities, because no authorities exist without God's permission. (Just think for a minute at history's murderous dictators to see how stupid this teaching of Paul actually is.) Divine right of kings as pure Christian doctrine. Note how today's Christian righties would no way see this as applying to Clinton, Obama, or Biden.
Paul goes straight from that teaching to "This is also why you pay taxes, because the authorities are working for God when they do their work. Pay, then, what you owe them." Take the label of Romans 13 off this teaching and ask Trump rally attendees what they think of it. Then step way back. "Hold m'beer, darlin', I'm gonna have a word with this reporter here."

...But these are quotes from JC himself.
Luke chapter 6: "Give to everyone who asks you for something, and when someone takes what is yours, do not ask for it back." (Holy shit...come to think of it, my neighbors have a sweet motorbike. And I think they're Christians.)
Luke, chapter 14: "None of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has." (See, I'd actually be helping my neighbors. And helping myself!)

Back
Top Bottom