• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Travel Ideas

nataliadonnelly

Banned
Banned
I am planning a 2 month trip to Scotland and Ireland I am really interested in smaller towns and villages that aren't overrun with tourists. Any ideas or suggestions on a place where we can get the feel of what it is like there instead of just tourist hot spots would be greatly appreciated . Also any place you think is visit worthy, local pubs , cafes etc.

Any place that isn't a tourist place, you'll get a feel for the culture. You would have to, I would think.

The best travel plans are no plans.

When stationed in the Philippines, my buddy and I had a three day class on base. Meanwhile, the ship we were attached to got underway for a week. We had four free days. We decided to drive to Camp John Hay. That's Subic Bay to Baguio. We just got in his Camaro and off we went. Excellent cruise. Stopped at a little roadside nipa hut for a refreshing beverage along the way. Tried to figure out their word for restroom. Kasilyas wasn't working. Finally landed on toilet. Go figure. Once in Baguio, we spent the evening in a bar there. Very comfortable. Very inviting. Lots of rather effeminate men there. Very friendly. Then we spent the night at Camp John Hay. Woke up in the morning, stepped outside and it was cold. Oh so cold. What a feeling for the Philippines. Lovely. What a wonderful memory.

I wouldn't say the best plans are no plans, that tends to mean you miss things. My travel planning consists of finding things in the area I want to see/do and otherwise winging it. Other than noting things like what days something is possible I avoid trying to do a day-by-day schedule. I tend to favor things that are subject to weather issues, doing something indoors on a good day and getting rained out on something outdoors sucks.

Back
Top Bottom