• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump threatens to adjourn both chambers of Congress

ZiprHead

Substitute Looney
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/493044-trump-threatens-to-adjourn-both-chambers-of-congress?rnd=1586989804

President Trump on Wednesday threatened to use his executive power to force both chambers of Congress to adjourn if the Senate did not confirm his nominees for vacancies across the administration.

The president, during a coronavirus briefing in the Rose Garden, offered a lengthy diatribe against what he described as congressional obstruction and argued confirming his nominees was more urgent than ever amid the pandemic.

"The Senate should either fulfill its duty and vote on my nominees or it should formally adjourn so I can make recess appointments," Trump said. "We have a tremendous number of people that have to come into government. And now more so than ever before because of the virus and the problem."

Lawmakers in both chambers are not expected to return to the Capitol until May 4 but both the House and Senate have been conducting pro forma sessions in the meantime. That means the Senate is technically in session and Trump may not make recess appointments.

"The current practice of leaving town while conducting phony pro forma sessions is a dereliction of duty that the American people can not afford during this crisis," he said. "It is a scam, what they do. It’s a scam. And everybody knows it and it’s been that way for a long time."

Article II, Section 3 of the Constitution grants Trump the power to "on extraordinary occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in case of disagreement between them, with respect to the time of adjournment, he may adjourn them to such time as he shall think proper."

The founding fathers sure fucked up by not anticipating someone like this asshole.

I remember three years ago, when it was mentioned thast he had a LOT of official vacancies, my coworkers were all, 'Great! Smaller government? He's reducing the bloat!'

I also remember how Obama closed down Congress when McConnell tried to steal a Supreme Court Justice appointment, and how The Right just shrugged, and said, 'Heh, guess you done outsmarted us on thet one, hoss.'

I remember three years ago, when it was mentioned thast he had a LOT of official vacancies, my coworkers were all, 'Great! Smaller government? He's reducing the bloat!'

And I was thinking he was consolidating power.

Trump's attempts at looking strong backfire when they fall apart
Trump wants to appear powerful, unaware of the extent to which these efforts backfire when he discovers that he doesn't have the authority he wishes he had

Part of the problem is that Donald Trump has never fully familiarized himself with how the federal government works, and his civic blind-spots lead him to blurt out ideas he doesn't recognize as foolish.

But the other part of the equation is nearly as important: Trump wants to appear strong and powerful, unaware of the extent to which these efforts backfire when he discovers that he doesn't have the authority he wishes he had.

Indeed, it was just this week when the president adopted a radical posture, stating his belief that he has "the ultimate authority" over state decisions regarding the coronavirus crisis. "The president of the United States calls the shots," Trump told reporters, adding, "When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total, and that's the way it's going to be. It's total. It's total. And the governors know that."

A day later, apparently having been told that his declarations were completely wrong, Trump retreated.

Back
Top Bottom