• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump Using DHS To Find Out People Behind Alt-Government Twitter Accounts

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
https://news.vice.com/story/twitter-is-suing-to-stop-trump-from-unmasking-an-alt-government-account

Twitter said in a Thursday filing that it seeks to prevent U.S. Customs and Border Protection (a DHS agency) from “unlawfully abusing a limited-purpose investigatory tool to try to unmask the real identity of the operator of the @ALT_USCIS account. Since Donald Trump was inaugurated as president, many “alt”-government agency Twitter accounts — @AltStateDpt, @Alt_NASA, and so on — have emerged, either claiming to be operated by anti-Trump government staffers or anti-Trump activists.

Those people better be very careful if they enter the USA. The government likes to use immigration control to snoop on phones of people it thinks are doing bad things.

Those people better be very careful if they enter the USA. The government likes to use immigration control to snoop on phones of people it thinks are doing bad things.

AS a US citizen, immigration control reentering the US is quick and routine... they match my picture to my passport, ask how my trip was, and then off to customs with my declarations...

Are non-US citizens on a tourist visa asked to provide a phone number? When I enter other countries, I am always asked to document the address where I will be staying and maybe if I plan on traveling from or within the country of my destination... but never a phone number... or email address.. or any personal contact information at all.

They're making people hand over their phones and passwords. Don't know if that's a new thing.

AS a US citizen, immigration control reentering the US is quick and routine... they match my picture to my passport, ask how my trip was, and then off to customs with my declarations...

Are non-US citizens on a tourist visa asked to provide a phone number? When I enter other countries, I am always asked to document the address where I will be staying and maybe if I plan on traveling from or within the country of my destination... but never a phone number... or email address.. or any personal contact information at all.

I'm talking about US citizens. We are seeing more and more cases of CBP searching electronics belonging to US citizens.

I'm talking about US citizens. We are seeing more and more cases of CBP searching electronics belonging to US citizens.
Who is "we"?

A guide to your rights at the border - CNN.com
What to do if asked to hand over your phone, computer at the US border - Business Insider
What Are Your Rights if Border Agents Want to Search Your Phone? - The New York Times

Searching phones is not new. You have no choice even if citizen. Citizens do have a choice on giving password, but can still be hassled and delayed over it, even seizing your device. Asking for social media logins is new, but you do have a choice. There was a big jump in searches from 2015 to 2016. Only anecdotal data on 2017.

How to Get Past Customs Without Giving Up Your Digital Privacy | WIRED

What to do if asked to hand over your phone, computer at the US border - Business Insider
What Are Your Rights if Border Agents Want to Search Your Phone? - The New York Times

Searching phones is not new. You have no choice even if citizen. Citizens do have a choice on giving password, but can still be hassled and delayed over it, even seizing your device. Asking for social media logins is new, but you do have a choice. There was a big jump in searches from 2015 to 2016. Only anecdotal data on 2017.

Yipes.

You realize, the government can find out that information directly from providers without you being the wiser, right?

Who is "we"?

Those of us who pay attention to such matters. As someone who travels internationally with electronics it's something of personal relevance.

There have been multiple cases that have actually made the news, one of an elected official. (He's since been charged with multiple offenses, presumably over what they found on his phone.)

Yipes.

See why I said it applies to US citizens?

Solution. Throw away phones and throw away computers. If you don't have one to report or show you are free to go. If you really need to send information to a computer of yours in the US all you need do is send it from the place you leave before re-entry. NSA isn't supposed to monitor US citizens even abroad.

Who is "we"?
Those of us who pay attention to such matters. As someone who travels internationally with electronics it's something of personal relevance.
So you me "I".

Yipes.

See why I said it applies to US citizens?
Well, thanks to blastula actually posting something useful.

Solution. Throw away phones and throw away computers. If you don't have one to report or show you are free to go.
Okay, see, my big fear is that I don't have a cell phone.
They probably won't believe me.

I'm going to get detained like an Aussie Children's Author for lack of compliance when they ask for my phone, my facebook password, etc.

They'll snort with derision and say, 'how dumb do you think we are' and i'll answer, and it'll go downhill quickly from there...

Solution. Throw away phones and throw away computers. If you don't have one to report or show you are free to go.
Okay, see, my big fear is that I don't have a cell phone.
They probably won't believe me.

I'm going to get detained like an Aussie Children's Author for lack of compliance when they ask for my phone, my facebook password, etc.

They'll snort with derision and say, 'how dumb do you think we are' and i'll answer, and it'll go downhill quickly from there...
The bigger issue is that these officers really have little accountability. So you could be mistreated and in the end that'll be it.

Back
Top Bottom