• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump vs. John Bolton

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Five takeaways on Trump's ouster of John Bolton | TheHill
President Trump announced Tuesday that John Bolton was leaving his post as national security adviser, citing disagreements between the two over how the administration should tackle key foreign policy challenges.

Trump chaos takes another turn
With Bolton’s ouster, Trump is now searching for his fourth national security adviser in less than three years, reviving concerns about instability among the president’s top advisers as he faces a series of pressing national security matters.

Pompeo's strength grows
Bolton’s exit further crystallizes Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s influence with the president.

Strange marriage ends
Trump brought Bolton aboard in March 2018 as a more hawkish alternative to then-national security adviser H.R. McMaster.

GOP left explaining once again
Whenever Trump does anything surprising, Republicans in Congress are asked to react. And Tuesday was no exception.

Bolton may not go quietly
Bolton made waves within minutes of Trump announcing his ouster by pushing back on the president’s accounting of events.
Another rumor is that Trump likes men clean-shaven while JB is well-known for his mustache.

Tucker hails firing of John Bolton: He was 'fundamentally a man of the left' | Fox News
Tucker Carlson hailed the firing Tuesday of White House National Security Adviser John Bolton, calling him a "man of the left" whose exit should be celebrated by young service members.

“It is great news for America. Especially for the large number of young people who would have been killed in pointless wars if Bolton had stayed on the job. They may not be celebrating tonight, but they should be," said Carlson, noting that oil prices dropped on the news of Bolton's firing, since global investors "knew for certain that Bolton planned on launching another Middle Eastern conflict that would inevitably spike energy prices."
:rotfl:
"If you are wondering why so many progressives are mourning Bolton’s firing tonight, it's because Bolton himself fundamentally was a man of the left. There was not a human problem John Bolton wasn’t totally convinced could be solved with the brute force of government. That’s an assumption of the left, not the right. Don’t let the mustache fool you," said Carlson, accusing Bolton of "promoting Obama loyalists within the National Security Council."
:confused:

"If you are wondering why so many progressives are mourning Bolton’s firing tonight, it's because Bolton himself fundamentally was a man of the left. There was not a human problem John Bolton wasn’t totally convinced could be solved with the brute force of government. That’s an assumption of the left, not the right. Don’t let the mustache fool you," said Carlson, accusing Bolton of "promoting Obama loyalists within the National Security Council."
:confused:
This is the stuff that is beginning to scare me. I was listening to Gallagher last week-ish and he was going on about how Comey and what not were intentionally interfering with investigations where as Flynn got caught up in things accidentally.

Bolton is a Neocon. He was with the group of people that gave us the Iraq Occupation. The likes of Carlson are no longer spinning things... they are flat out changing history (which isn't even a decade old). And all of this to protect the tariffing, Taliban negotiating, Kim BJ'ing Trump Administration?! This is a dictatorship blooming.

Also, the Left's reaction yesterday was of uncertainty. Was Bolton fired because he was ineffective and too radical or was Bolton fired because he wasn't radical enough?

If you are wondering why so many progressives are mourning Bolton’s firing
I'm wondering what progressive was mourning?

NOBODY on the Left, to my knowledge, wanted Bolton anywhere near power, but we would like a little more stability in Trump's carnival. Some stability, any stability. If this goes on for another 5 years it'll be a reality show on Fox.

"Agustus Schisskopf, of Bloomington, Illinois! Social Security Number ending in 284! If you're watching tonight, dial the number on your TV screen to become the new contestant on Who Wants A Cabinet Seat?"

It's amazing how many hard core right wingers suddenly had been radical leftists all along.

Chicken Hawk Bolton could never find a reason not to start a war. Yeah. In that respect he's worse than Trump. Of course, the two toddlers are arguing over whether he resigned or was fired. How did we end up with such childish men running the country?

Was Bolton fired because he was ineffective and too radical or was Bolton fired because he wasn't radical enough?
It seems that Bolton is too much of a hawk for Trump. Remember when US was supposed to retaliate against Iran for the downed drone and Trump cancelled the response?

Was Bolton fired because he was ineffective and too radical or was Bolton fired because he wasn't radical enough?
It seems that Bolton is too much of a hawk for Trump. Remember when US was supposed to retaliate against Iran for the downed drone and Trump cancelled the response?
Trumpo repeatedly hires people that he later says were wrong for the job. Why does he do that so much? Why did he hire them? Is his ability to make observations and judgements impaired?

Trumpo repeatedly hires people that he later says were wrong for the job. Why does he do that so much? Why did he hire them? Is his ability to make observations and judgements impaired?

He hires only the best.

Trump says he cancelled it. That carries no water for me.

I think Kevin Drum said it well. Trump has sold two images of himself with regards to foreign policy. First, he's a tough guy. Second, he's a deal-maker. Those two images are contradictory. Tough guys don't compromise--they do what they want.

Few conservatives want to make deals with foreign nations. So who is Trump going to hire for foreign policy? Tough guys want to bomb Iran, not make deals with them. Deal-makers want to negotiate and compromise and make peace. It's hard for Trump to find someone with both character traits.

I think Kevin Drum said it well. Trump has sold two images of himself with regards to foreign policy. First, he's a tough guy. Second, he's a deal-maker. Those two images are contradictory. Tough guys don't compromise--they do what they want.

Few conservatives want to make deals with foreign nations. So who is Trump going to hire for foreign policy? Tough guys want to bomb Iran, not make deals with them. Deal-makers want to negotiate and compromise and make peace. It's hard for Trump to find someone with both character traits.
On what planet has Trump shown he is a deal-maker with foreign policy? Deal-makers don't act so unpredictably.

It sounds like Bolton didn't want to lighten sanctions on Iran, like Trump did to get the two sides talking.

Two sides talking?! There was already a damn agreement between the two nations, Trump ripped it up!

On what planet has Trump shown he is a deal-maker with foreign policy?
He enjoys a REPUTATION as a deal-maker. Just read his book.
His efforts on the budget, or anything else to do with getting Congress to cooperate (as opposed to getting them to cover his ass) show this to be feet of clay, but he's very careful to cultivate his reputation.

Or at least, he's very voluble in the cultivation of this reputation.

On what planet has Trump shown he is a deal-maker with foreign policy?
He enjoys a REPUTATION as a deal-maker. Just read his book.
His efforts on the budget, or anything else to do with getting Congress to cooperate (as opposed to getting them to cover his ass) show this to be feet of clay, but he's very careful to cultivate his reputation.

Or at least, he's very voluble in the cultivation of this reputation.
Saying it over and over again doesn't make it true. I know Trump's life long image is based on the Self-Echo Fallacy, but it is still just based on his own claims.

You simply can't say you are the deal maker when all you do is break other people's deals and sometimes come up with a deal that is almost unchanged from the previous one.

You simply can't say you are the deal maker when all you do is break other people's deals and sometimes come up with a deal that is almost unchanged from the previous one.
Well, that's ALL he can do. Say it. Say it and get his troops to chant it. And copyright the chant. And every time someone calls him a 'dealmaker,' even derisively, he gets a quarter.

Trump may regret his breezy putdowns of Bolton as "Mr. Tough Guy." Bolton's comment so far is "I will have my say in due course." Last night on MSNBC, Lawrence O'Donnell speculated gleefully that Bolton may have a book in mind. He had months to sit with Trump and hear his insane ideas about foreign policy and trade wars and nuclear hurricanes. Unlike Trump, Bolton's sentences actually parse. (I couldn't be farther away from Bolton's steroidal neocon nuttiness, let alone his manscaping, but his sentences parse.)

Trump may regret his breezy putdowns of Bolton as "Mr. Tough Guy." Bolton's comment so far is "I will have my say in due course." Last night on MSNBC, Lawrence O'Donnell speculated gleefully that Bolton may have a book in mind. He had months to sit with Trump and hear his insane ideas about foreign policy and trade wars and nuclear hurricanes. Unlike Trump, Bolton's sentences actually parse. (I couldn't be farther away from Bolton's steroidal neocon nuttiness, let alone his manscaping, but his sentences parse.)

OTOH, this

I have no doubt that Bolton wants to roast Trump alive. Partly it’s just payback for canning and humiliating him. But Bolton must also be horrified by what Trump appears to want to do in Afghanistan, Iran, North Korea and various other places. But if Bolton goes full Trump critic, it’s very hard to see how he’s ever going to make the massive paydays he was before Trump picked him.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblo...on-his-access-to-the-world-of-rightwing-grift

There may be more than one blusterer in the room.

Robert Schlesinger: Why did Trump fire John Bolton? The warmonger had become the adult in the room — and that's scary.
At best, the pre-9/11 national security shake-up is a reminder of Trump’s inability to identify or retain quality people — never mind “the best people,” as he once promised — to fill the senior levels of government; at worst it’s another grim sign of Trump’s relentless drive to surround himself with aides whose signal qualifications are absolute loyalty and fealty rather than competence.

Trump famously likes to make exaggerated claims about himself and his administration, but records he actually has but rarely mentions involve turnover. According to data compiled by Kathryn Dunn Tenpas of the Brookings Institution, Trump has had more first-term Cabinet-level turnover than any predecessor going as far back as Ronald Reagan — and this for a president who hasn’t even completed his third year in office.

Trump has even turned on those he once esteemed, even if they didn’t depart on the worst terms. Bannon went from being a top policy aide to “sloppy Steve” who had “lost his mind” after he was ousted in the wake of doing too many interviews taking credit for Trump’s win. (More recently, Trump has called him “one of my best pupils.” Was that at Trump University?) Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions was reportedly “mentally retarded” in Trump’s estimation. Former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson went from being “one of the truly great business leaders” to “dumb as a rock” and “lazy as hell” after his departure. Manigault Newman went from a trusted staffer to “wacky” and a “lowlife” after her firing and then the release of her tell-all book. (By contrast, Trump still speaks warmly of Flynn.)

It all makes one wonder whose bright idea it was to hire these bozos in the first place.
Shows how erratic pResident tRump is. He doesn't even take the long view, like "I had high hopes in this guy, but he was very disappointing."

Back
Top Bottom