• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump's judges seems to be helping with voter suppression.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/17/us/politics/federal-appeals-courts-trump-voting.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Federal district courts have tended to rule for Democrats in litigation over how to run the election, but appeals courts, well stocked with the president’s nominees, are blocking them.

This month, a federal judge struck down a decree from Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas limiting each county in the state to a single drop box to handle the surge in absentee ballots this election season, rejecting Mr. Abbott’s argument that the limit was necessary to combat fraud.

Days later, an appellate panel of three judges appointed by President Trump froze the lower court order, keeping Mr. Abbott’s new policy in place — meaning Harris County, with more than two million voters, and Wheeler County, with well under 4,000, would both be allowed only one drop box for voters who want to hand-deliver their absentee ballots and avoid reliance on the Postal Service.

The Texas case is one of at least eight major election disputes around the country in which Federal District Court judges sided with civil rights groups and Democrats in voting cases only to be stayed by the federal appeals courts, whose ranks Mr. Trump has done more to populate than any president in more than 40 years.

The rulings highlight how Mr. Trump’s drive to fill empty judgeships is yielding benefits to his re-election campaign even before any major dispute about the outcome may make it to the Supreme Court. He made clear the political advantages he derives from his power to appoint judges when he explained last month that he was moving fast to name a successor to Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg so the Supreme Court would have a full contingent to handle any election challenges, which he has indicated he might bring in the event of a loss.

So, the next time Justice Roberts tries to claim that judges aren't partisan, I'm just going to roll my eyes. Voting should be easy for all eligible voters. Apparently, Trump's judges don't seem to see it that way. My hope is that there will be a backlash to this because when someone tries to take away one of your rights, that usually makes a person more determined than ever to exercise that right. I've seen many WaPo posters say they will crawl through glass to vote against Trump. Hopefully, they will also drive many miles or stand in line for hours to exercise their right to vote.

Republicans know that when more people vote, it lessons their chances of winning.

Pretty sure, before they are nominated, McConnel has been asking 'will you cheat at the next election in favor of the GOP?"

Those that answer yes get the nomination.

Roberts yesterday sided with the liberals on the PA three day post election case in Pennsylvania. It seems Roberts is getting nervous that SCOTUS is going to throw the election while he is in charge.

Back
Top Bottom