• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trying to find a good source on the Greek creation myths

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
So, for a random reason I started to read about Greek myths and again got lost when it came to the original base of its creation story.

It seems that maybe there is no consistent single story to begin with, but I am trying to get the most clear and concise idea or at least a genealogical chart of the gods.

I know there will not be a Silmarillion level consistent framework. I just want a source that is the best to read.

Thanks.

So this is from Hesiod.

Still a total clusterfuck of a story, hahaha...

There are a number of mythologies. Earlier than the Helenes we had the Pelgasians, who had a well developed creation mythology. Then the myths also of Homer, and Orpheus, and others.

Robert Graves is considered a good place to start.

[h=3]Pelasgian creation myth[/h]

Jacob Bryant's Orphic Egg (1774)

Graves's imaginatively reconstructed "Pelasgian creation myth" features a supreme creatrix, Eurynome, "The Goddess of All Things",[2] who rises naked from Chaos to part sea from sky so that she can dance upon the waves. Catching the north wind at her back and rubbing it between her hands, she warms the pneuma and spontaneously generates the serpent Ophion, who mates with her. In the form of a dove upon the waves she lays the Cosmic Egg and bids Ophion to incubate it by coiling seven times around until it splits in two and hatches "all things that exist ... sun, moon, planets, stars, the earth with its mountains and rivers, its trees, herbs, and living creatures".[3]

Back
Top Bottom