• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

TV news ratings down after Trump left office

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
TV news ratings, online readership plunge during Biden's first 100 days | TheHill
  • (End of January) to (mid-April) - (number) million viewers
  • Fox: 1.3 to 1.2
  • MSNBC: 1.3 to 0.9
  • CNN: 1.2 to 0.7
Ratings had a small bump for Trump's impeachment trial in early February, then dropped.

Website traffic for major news outlets is also down: ABC News, CBS News, CNN, Fox News, NBC News, The New York Times, The Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, the Los Angeles Times, Reuters, the Boston Globe, Vice, Vox and BuzzFeed.

When it comes to cable news, there’s little doubt Trump was a ratings bonanza. Nielsen data shows that audiences for Fox News, CNN and MSNBC grew substantially after Trump took office in January of 2017.

From 2010 until 2017, the size of the audience for Fox News, CNN and MSNBC was relatively stable. After Trump took office, however, ratings for all three cable channels rose significantly, reflecting what became known as the “Trump bump.”

According to a recent report from analysis firm Similarweb, Biden-related content on the websites of top news organizations has generally decreased since his Jan. 20 inauguration.

The company also recorded a significant drop in keyword searches for Biden and Trump since January.

But the overall number of keyword searches for both politicians dropped to 9.3 million in March, from more than 57.6 million in January.

Another indicator was the ratings for Biden's first speech to a joint session of Congress Wednesday, which drew 26.9 million viewers, 43.6 percent less than the 47.7 million people who watched Trump's first address in 2017.
What might be happening? Trump's Presidency was full of lurid drama, and that was also true of his first Presidential campaign. By comparison, Joe Biden is very boring.

By comparison, Joe Biden is very boring.

Boringly competent. I like that in a president.

Biden was nowhere near my ideal president. But so far so good.
Tom

It's like saying: Which attracts more stares from slowed-down vehicles, a car on fire with people being carried away on stretchers, or a street with a Jiffy Lube and some shade trees?

I guess people prefer to be entertained rather than be informed.
Weren't being informed as much as finding out what the latest dumpster fire was. Remember, the Trump Justice Department started the investigation into Trump in the Spring of his first term. He pretty much had the high point of chocolate cake and firing missiles at nothing in Syria. It was all downhill from there with one thing after the other, and some Americans hopeful that this or that would finally end the madness. It didn't.

Now days, DC is much like it was in '09 to '16, with a obstructionist GOP trying to tear the nation apart, but a competent guy in the White House who isn't rage tweeting every other hour.

A total flaw of capitalism and the desire for meaningful entertainment on television.

You get it sometimes but the vast majority of what is called entertainment on television is crap aimed at getting the largest audience possible.

I consumed more news during the 4 years of hell than I did previously. It was mainly fear of what bonehead or evil thing Trump would do next. I can't stand TV news because I can't stand not being able to skim the story like I can reading. And I don't like not having the choice what to look at and what not to look at. I haven't watched TV news since around 1997. But during the 4 years of hell I did subscribe to the NYT and WaPo. In addition to reading CNN.

I haven't canceled any yet and due to the pandemic I also subscribed to the web version of the Boston Globe to get Massachusetts news.

I am still reading more news now than I did before the 4 years of hell but I am starting to consider whether I need both NYT and WaPo.

Because Biden is competent and not evil, I don't feel as much need to read the news all the time anymore.

Back
Top Bottom