• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Using binoculars to look through warped glass

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
So, I have a pair of binoculars and I was looking outside through my VERY warped glass. The image is terrible from the warping of course.

But my question a bit different. Say the distance to the object is 100 meters and the warped glass is only 1 meter away -- would the image be as blurry if the object were still 100 meters away but the same warped glass was 99 meters away?

So, I have a pair of binoculars and I was looking outside through my VERY warped glass. The image is terrible from the warping of course.

But my question a bit different. Say the distance to the object is 100 meters and the warped glass is only 1 meter away -- would the image be as blurry if the object were still 100 meters away but the same warped glass was 99 meters away?

Offhand, I'd say that the closer you place your objective lenses to the warped glass the less distortion there will be because the small diameter of the binocular lenses only involves a very small area of the warped glass.

Just guessing but the distortion is due to the light rays being bent at some angle away from normal. The further away from you it occurs the the more the light diverges and so the effect should be more noticeable. :thinking:

My guess is that the closer you are from the glass the better. That way, the glass warping is averaged out over the field of vision, because not in focus.
I'll check it when I have a chance. I think I already did it some time ago.
EB

it depends on the number of things but in principle in both cases it will be warped but differently.
Is class purposefully warped or just happened to be crappy?

My guess is that the closer you are from the glass the better. That way, the glass warping is averaged out over the field of vision, because not in focus.
I'll check it when I have a chance. I think I already did it some time ago.
EB
Ah, I couldn't make it work. :(
EB

I think the closer the glass to the binoculars, the better. As a kid I was told that glass is a liquid, and flows over time. Now I'm assured it doesn't.
Do you live in an old house repoman? Is the glass original? My house in England has a variety of qualities of glazing, from ripply to crystal, varying with age.
I find a monocular easier to focus, I could never get the two images to merge, I got better lenses for the same money, and it fits my pocket.

Back
Top Bottom