• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What is the total energy content of the sun?

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
I am not looking for the energy output of the sun, but the reservoir of energy (thermal, gravitational potential etc..) that the sun has now.

If the sun were to

a) shed all of its heat and cool to the background temp of 2.7 K
b) then collapse into a black dwarf

How much energy would it have to shed for a) and b) to happen?

I am curious how many "solar output days" (3.31*10^31 Joules/day) it would take for the sun to go from 2.7 K (or another reasonable low temp) to the thermal energy/temp it has now.

How would the "Sun Freezers" going about doing this? Ok, that is nonsense, lol. Sounds like a Doctor Who villain.

I am not looking for the energy output of the sun, but the reservoir of energy (thermal, gravitational potential etc..) that the sun has now.

If the sun were to

a) shed all of its heat and cool to the background temp of 2.7 K
b) then collapse into a black dwarf

How much energy would it have to shed for a) and b) to happen?

I am curious how many "solar output days" (3.31*10^31 Joules/day) it would take for the sun to go from 2.7 K (or another reasonable low temp) to the thermal energy/temp it has now.

How would the "Sun Freezers" going about doing this? Ok, that is nonsense, lol. Sounds like a Doctor Who villain.

http://www.astro.cornell.edu/academics/courses/astro201/vt.htm

The collapse would heat it up, the detonation would be spectacular. Degenerate matter does not have a normal temperature/pressure relationship, once fusion started it would run wild for a short period.

Back
Top Bottom