• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which is the best history of Christianity/ Judaism/ biblical archaeology on the market?

Perspicuo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Empiricist, ergo agnostic
If I were to read one history of Christianity or of Judaism or both or biblical archaeology, which would you recommend?

The one I made a thread about is quite good: 'A History of Christianity' by Paul Johnson. It's written by a Christian but he seems to do a good job of being objective, and at the beginning of the book he explicitly outlines the problem that presents. Usually I like a book that's a bit less focused than this one, but in the case of Christianity I think it's better to know the minutiae. The book tops out around 500 pages so it'll take a while to get through, but I think it'll be worth it.

Have never read any other religious histories but I'd definitely recommend this one.

If I were to read one history of Christianity or of Judaism or both or biblical archaeology, which would you recommend?

A few recommenfef biblical archaeology books.

The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts
- Israel Finkelstein,

Out of the Desert? Archaeology and the Exodus/Conquest Narratives.
Buffalo, New York: Prometheus Books.1989
-- Stiebing, Jr., William H.

Finkelstein, I. and Na'aman, N. 1994. From Nomadism to Monarchy. Jerusalem.

Dever, William G. (2001), What Did the Biblical Writers Know and When Did They Know It?
What Archaeology Can Tell Us about the Reality of Ancient Israel, Eerdmans ISBN 0-8028-4794-3

Dever, William G. (2003), Who Were the Early Israelites and Where Did They Come from?, Eerdmans ISBN 0-8028-0975-8

Dever, William G. (2005), Did God Have a Wife?: Archaeology and Folk Religion in Ancient Israel, Eerdmans ISBN 0-8028-2852-3

Thanks to both of you.

Cheerful Charlie, is Finkelstein's view mainstream in archæology and history?

I've always suspected his views may be controversial in those fields to a non insignificant degree. I like controversies but I don't want to fill my head with something that will be in the trash bin within a decade (I'm not saying it is or will be, I'm just asking).

Thanks to both of you.

Cheerful Charlie, is Finkelstein's view mainstream in archæology and history?

I've always suspected his views may be controversial in those fields to a non insignificant degree. I like controversies but I don't want to fill my head with something that will be in the trash bin within a decade (I'm not saying it is or will be, I'm just asking).

Finkelstein is mainstream. Finkelstein worked extensively surveying the hilltop farm sites that were the basic foundations that became Israel. Be aware Finkelstein is involved in some heated debates over dating of certain buildings to either Soloman's reign or kimg Omri.

But he is mainstream and teaches at Tel Aviv University. He has a website. HTTP://isfn.skytech.co.il/

Back
Top Bottom