• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Who did it better?

Originally released in 1975 by English band Ace and covered by Rod "The Mod" Stewart (and later by Lipps Inc.)

The song is as inoffensive as it is boring but was a decent success for Ace and Rod.

I think Rod's version is acoustically less traumatic on the ears but that video is as cheesy as it gets so he loses points for that.

Originally released in 1975 by English band Ace and covered by Rod "The Mod" Stewart (and later by Lipps Inc.)

The song is as inoffensive as it is boring but was a decent success for Ace and Rod.

I think Rod's version is acoustically less traumatic on the ears but that video is as cheesy as it gets so he loses points for that.

I like the original version. As a cover from an accomplished singer/songwriter like Rod Stewart, I'd expect a little more than what he did here. This is a cut above karaoke.

So here's the thing: Bowie still has it. You can't fix a perfect track.

But I do really like this dreamy, melancholy version by Aurora. Like she's looking back and just wishing everything had meant something, rather than being enraged that it doesn't:

Oooft, sorry but that Aurora version was painful to listen to. An utter abomination albeit that she did put her own stamp on it.

That is Bowie's best song and can't be topped, but this is the best cover.

It's blasphemy to say PG is in second place.

And you're right. The drummer is a hottie.

Manu Katché played the drums on Peter Gabriel's song “Sledgehammer”. The French drummer and songwriter toured extensively with Peter Gabriel and Sting. Katché Is a very accomplished drummer and has been featured in many pop and rock scenes.Jun 17, 2020

A tough one for me but I think the original Wilson Pickett version is unbeatable but the Roxy Music version is very erm, Roxy Music which makes it very good and acceptable.

The Beatles I Am The Walrus gets a makeover from the best Beatles tribute band, Oasis

Oasis really went to town on this one at Knebworth. A six minute bombardment of strings, horns and drums while Liam cavorts with the adoring crowd.

Gotta say, the Oasis version is bloody brilliant.

Three great versions of this great song. I do not rate the Willie Nelson version at all which is why it's not here.

The Pet Shop Boys win it for me.

Back
Top Bottom