• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why do people like expressing themselves?

rousseau

Contributor
It seems like most people enjoy speaking as much as they possibly can.

Is there a scientific explanation for this?

For most the use of language is mainly in their thoughts.

Their expressed language is the smaller part of the use of language.

One theory is the internal use of language evolved first and it seems to be a compulsion. It is very hard to stop the internal language in our thoughts.

And this compulsion then spills out in the external use of language once it exists as well.

Not really an explanation, only a hypothesis.

There are of course many people who speak very little, but most likely they use language in their thoughts as much as anybody else.

For most the use of language is mainly in their thoughts.

Their expressed language is the smaller part of the use of language.

One theory is the internal use of language evolved first and it seems to be a compulsion. It is very hard to stop the internal language in our thoughts.

And this compulsion then spills out in the external use of language once it exists as well.

Not really an explanation, only a hypothesis.

There are of course many people who speak very little, but most likely they use language in their thoughts as much as anybody else.

One's got to wonder if it's something of a positive feed-back loop. More communication leads to closer relationships leads to more babies, therefore internal systems that communicate aka express more are selected for. So for most.. like you say.. it's an intrinsic compulsion that just happens.

I'd guess you'd have a social element too, when around other people it's uncommon to not speak.

Yes, lots. Scientists also like to speak a lot, so there is quite a bit of material on language and communication. The entire field of sociology is rooted in this, and a good place to start.

Yes, lots. Scientists also like to speak a lot, so there is quite a bit of material on language and communication. The entire field of sociology is rooted in this, and a good place to start.

Yea, likely, although I'm looking for something closer to a specific neurophysiological reason for expression, and not a social one. Searching isn't a bad idea, but I don't find Google very useful for queries like this. I usually end up getting lay-man search results that are of no interest.

Yea, likely, although I'm looking for something closer to a specific neurophysiological reason for expression, and not a social one. Searching isn't a bad idea, but I don't find Google very useful for queries like this. I usually end up getting lay-man search results that are of no interest.

Two suggestions. Use Google Scholar and use keywords intelligently. If you want neuroscience include it in key search for instance. Still, scientists like speaking? Not my experience. For what its worth that's 50 years at some of the finest research facilities neuroscience has to offer. Sure there are Barlow, Greene, and Feynman, and the like but they are a minuscule fraction. On the other hand there are ME Olds, Sperry, Sherrington as told by historians, and many others who only speak through publications and research.

As a student of human evolution of speech and hearing my research suggests humans developed speech as a means to instruct and train while demonstrating tool making. Read some Cosmides and Tobias for for potential research sources. In particular follow up the co-evolution of cortex and cerebellum particularly those areas related to coordinated eye-hand activity, and speech areas even though we have no real idea how speech was used as gestures, body language and facial expressions traded off as tool making advanced.

Last edited:
One's got to wonder if it's something of a positive feed-back loop. More communication leads to closer relationships leads to more babies, therefore internal systems that communicate aka express more are selected for. So for most.. like you say.. it's an intrinsic compulsion that just happens.

I'd guess you'd have a social element too, when around other people it's uncommon to not speak.

It is not always true that those who talk the most are the most successful with the opposite sex.

Humans choose mates for all kinds of reasons. Many times physical attributes.

But genial communication is something that can lead to reproductive success as well. So can lies.

So can money.

How humans use language today however is not self evidently evidence of how humans acquired language.

Ultimately how language arose is a mystery and there are many hypotheses.

And there is usually a tension between two humans that can be broken by speaking to one another.

Two suggestions. Use Google Scholar and use keywords intelligently. If you want neuroscience include it in key search for instance. Still, scientists like speaking? Not my experience. For what its worth that's 50 years at some of the finest research facilities neuroscience has to offer. Sure there are Barlow, Greene, and Feynman, and the like but they are a minuscule fraction. On the other hand there are ME Olds, Sperry, Sherrington as told by historians, and many others who only speak through publications and research.

As a student of human evolution of speech and hearing my research suggests humans developed speech as a means to instruct and train while demonstrating tool making. Read some Cosmides and Tobias for for potential research sources. In particular follow up the co-evolution of cortex and cerebellum particularly those areas related to coordinated eye-hand activity, and speech areas even though we have no real idea how speech was used as gestures, body language and facial expressions traded off as tool making advanced.

Thanks for mentioning Google Scholar again. Pretty darn sure you've reminded me of it a couple times.

Back
Top Bottom