• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

1000+ Apostates from Darwinism!

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
According to Christain News: https://christiannews.net/2019/02/1...ntists-worldwide-sign-dissent-from-darwinism/ the Discovery Institute has managed to get over 1K scientists to sign their “Dissent From Darwinism” statement.

In almost 20 years...

They're disappointed that some of them only quibble about evolutionary theory, rather than coming all the way over to admitting to creationist views. But they're really, really proud of the 1000.

Project Steve, of course, took about six years to reach 1000.

But anyway, 1000 is about 0.0125% of the scientists of the world deciding to reject the teachings of Darwin.

I calculate that's about equal to one knuckle of my little finger deciding that it's no longer going to be Keith. Keith Apostate. Rejecting Keith. I'm remarkably unaffected by this, should it happen. My life will go on.

"Okay, whatever you say, that hand is still wiping Keith's ass, with or without you."

According to Christain News: https://christiannews.net/2019/02/1...ntists-worldwide-sign-dissent-from-darwinism/ the Discovery Institute has managed to get over 1K scientists to sign their “Dissent From Darwinism” statement.

In almost 20 years...

They're disappointed that some of them only quibble about evolutionary theory, rather than coming all the way over to admitting to creationist views. But they're really, really proud of the 1000.

Project Steve, of course, took about six years to reach 1000.

But anyway, 1000 is about 0.0125% of the scientists of the world deciding to reject the teachings of Darwin.

I calculate that's about equal to one knuckle of my little finger deciding that it's no longer going to be Keith. Keith Apostate. Rejecting Keith. I'm remarkably unaffected by this, should it happen. My life will go on.

"Okay, whatever you say, that hand is still wiping Keith's ass, with or without you."

"The teachings of Darwin"

That phrase puts "Evolutionism" on the same page as "What my pastor told me last Sunday".

There has always been a small segment that disputes evolution. The DI site is very slick and scientific looking.

https://www.discoverynj.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Institute

The Discovery Institute (DI) is a politically conservative[4][5][6] non-profit think tank based in Seattle, Washington, that advocates the pseudoscientific concept[7][8][9] of intelligent design (ID). Its "Teach the Controversy" campaign aims to permit the teaching of anti-evolution, intelligent-design beliefs in United States public high school science courses in place of accepted scientific theories, positing that a scientific controversy exists over these subjects.[10][11][12][13][14][15][16

Physicians and Surgeons for Scientific Integrity[edit]

The Physicians and Surgeons for Scientific Integrity (PSSI), formally registered as PSSI International Inc, is a United States 501(c)(3) nonprofit anti-evolution organization promoting the pseudoscience of intelligent design associated with the Discovery Institute, based in Clearwater, Florida. While in the past, the organization sponsored events promoting intelligent design and fundamentalist Christianity, it is currently largely inactive.[19] The PSSI was established in early 2006 by Rich Akin.[20] Geoffrey Simmons, M.D., Discovery Institute fellow, is one of the Directors of the PSSI.

The PSSI created a public list of medical professionals who dissent from Darwinism. This list is used by the Discovery Institute in its anti-evolution campaigns. The list is used in support of the Discovery Institute claims that intelligent design is scientifically valid while asserting that evolution lacks broad scientific support.[21]

The PSSI, which was active between 2006 - 2008, held a "Doctors Doubting Darwin" rally at the University of South Florida's Sun Dome in September 2006. Attendance was estimated at 3,500 to 4,000 people by a local reporter.[22] Apologetic organizations promoting the event had hoped to fill all 7,700 seats in the Sun Dome.[23][24] This meeting featured the Discovery Institute's Jonathan Wells and fellow Michael Behe, and received local radio coverage. This rally was opposed by the Florida Citizens for Science organization

There has always been a small segment that disputes evolution. The DI site is very slick and scientific looking.

https://www.discoverynj.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Institute

The Discovery Institute (DI) is a politically conservative[4][5][6] non-profit think tank based in Seattle, Washington, that advocates the pseudoscientific concept[7][8][9] of intelligent design (ID). Its "Teach the Controversy" campaign aims to permit the teaching of anti-evolution, intelligent-design beliefs in United States public high school science courses in place of accepted scientific theories, positing that a scientific controversy exists over these subjects.[10][11][12][13][14][15][16

Physicians and Surgeons for Scientific Integrity[edit]

The Physicians and Surgeons for Scientific Integrity (PSSI), formally registered as PSSI International Inc, is a United States 501(c)(3) nonprofit anti-evolution organization promoting the pseudoscience of intelligent design associated with the Discovery Institute, based in Clearwater, Florida. While in the past, the organization sponsored events promoting intelligent design and fundamentalist Christianity, it is currently largely inactive.[19] The PSSI was established in early 2006 by Rich Akin.[20] Geoffrey Simmons, M.D., Discovery Institute fellow, is one of the Directors of the PSSI.

The PSSI created a public list of medical professionals who dissent from Darwinism. This list is used by the Discovery Institute in its anti-evolution campaigns. The list is used in support of the Discovery Institute claims that intelligent design is scientifically valid while asserting that evolution lacks broad scientific support.[21]

The PSSI, which was active between 2006 - 2008, held a "Doctors Doubting Darwin" rally at the University of South Florida's Sun Dome in September 2006. Attendance was estimated at 3,500 to 4,000 people by a local reporter.[22] Apologetic organizations promoting the event had hoped to fill all 7,700 seats in the Sun Dome.[23][24] This meeting featured the Discovery Institute's Jonathan Wells and fellow Michael Behe, and received local radio coverage. This rally was opposed by the Florida Citizens for Science organization

Don't forget about all the formal, established groups of "Flat Earth" proponents... that makes it valid too. Two ideas, flat or round... 50/50, so who could really say.

A pox on anyone who doubts a book with...
> a walking, talking snake
> a talking jackass (not Jesus)
> a guy inducing his lambs and goats to have striped offspring by placing striped sticks near them
> rabbits chewing the cud

Now that's a book for your biology class. Remember, evolution is nothing more than a theory. It can't be demonstrated, unlike the striped stick thing. Also, Darwin's last words were, "I believe in the striped stick thing."

I blame all those stupid Jesus fish decorations on the back of cars for feeding into the notion that atheists worship and hang on the words of Darwin. Christians base their entire belief system on the infallibility of a book and a supposed messiah written about in that book. When non-christians made a joke of those fishes with the Darwin fish, it fed Christians the idea that atheists hold Darwin's theories sacred and worship the man as a messiah, just like they will do.

When non-christians made a joke of those fishes with the Darwin fish, it fed Christians the idea that atheists hold Darwin's theories sacred and worship the man as a messiah, just like they will do.
So? It's still on them to undrrstand what they're talking about, or go with dhallow first impressions AND to listen when people try to explain. But time after time, they insist on holding their misunderstanding dear...

Plus, they were holding us as worshipers of evolution long before the Darwin Fish....

When non-christians made a joke of those fishes with the Darwin fish, it fed Christians the idea that atheists hold Darwin's theories sacred and worship the man as a messiah, just like they will do.
So? It's still on them to undrrstand what they're talking about, or go with dhallow first impressions AND to listen when people try to explain. But time after time, they insist on holding their misunderstanding dear...

Plus, they were holding us as worshipers of evolution long before the Darwin Fish....

The Christians I grew up amongst wouldn't have even known the name Darwin if it hadn't been for those fishes.

Expecting Christians to apply understanding or reason is wishful thinking.

The Christians I grew up amongst wouldn't have even known the name Darwin if it hadn't been for those fishes.
Well, then, they're welcome.
Expecting Christians to apply understanding or reason is wishful thinking.
Never said i expected them to step up. It's still their ignorance, though, so their problem.
If the only objection they can bring to the argument us that i worship Darwin, they're going to lose.

Not to worry (regards to the OP) they were "Lukewarm" Darwinsts anyway .
Depending on how much one keeps up with this topic, many of them were never what one would call an active evolutionary scientist. There are a number on that list (and I'm not acn expert by any means) that essentially got degrees to say they have the degree and make money off xian rubes by claiming to now have 'scientific' support for cintelligent designism.

I used to be much more up on the ins and outs of the Discotute when I did it semi-professionally, but I've long since given up that gig. They have very little influence these days, but with the resurgence of the stoopid on the political right, it might be worth keeping a close eye on them again for a while.

Not to worry (regards to the OP) they were "Lukewarm" Darwinsts anyway .
Depending on how much one keeps up with this topic, many of them were never what one would call an active evolutionary scientist. There are a number on that list (and I'm not acn expert by any means) that essentially got degrees to say they have the degree and make money off xian rubes by claiming to now have 'scientific' support for cintelligent designism.
No doubt if it is the case,... we must remember that you can also make money, refuting the claims.
I used to be much more up on the ins and outs of the Discotute when I did it semi-professionally, but I've long since given up that gig. They have very little influence these days, but with the resurgence of the stoopid on the political right, it might be worth keeping a close eye on them again for a while.

Fair point. I understand where you're coming from.

No doubt if it is the case,... we must remember that you can also make money, refuting the claims.
Not really. Even serving on the board of directors (and 2 years as VP) was strictly a volunteer gig. No money whatsoever, and it was a ~3 hour drive to get to the board meetings, which were luckily only about once/month. I know of exactly zero people who made money fighting for good science education.

Ahh I see, sorry . I mis-read your previous quote ,and responded a little too quickly .

I put it in the context that, rather than making money off xian rubes, they could make money refuting the God claims. ( Not that it makes sense IF they "actually" did become theists at the time.)

Ahh I see, sorry . I mis-read your previous quote ,and responded a little too quickly .

I put it in the context that, rather than making money off xian rubes, they could make money refuting the God claims. ( Not that it makes sense IF they "actually" did become theists at the time.)

But not too many people who accept evolutionary theory buy a brace of Grade Six intro-to-evolution books to send to Evangelical relatives as Darwin Day presents. We don't even buy those books for ourselves. We read the dust jacket, nod, and put it back on the shelf. If we get a bothersome relative flogging superstition at Thankgiving Dinner, we refer them to biology textbooks.
The money is in books sold to creationists, but sent out like direct mail adverts in the hopes of converting someone who keeps pointing out the errors in the PRATTS.... Strobel, Hovind, etc.

Back
Top Bottom