• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

120 Reasons to Reject Christianity

Jesus warned us about people like Alexander. Good show boys!
Did he ever do what Lucian of Samosata had done?

LoS gave AoA some questions in sealed envelopes, and he got some interesting answers. He asked whether or not AoA was bald, and he got a gibberish answer: Sabardalachou malachaattealos en. He also asked "Where was Homer born?" twice, describing one instance as about a lung problem, and the other instance as whether to go to Italy by land or by sea. AoA responded: use something called "cytmide" mixed with horse spit, and it's better to go by land.

I don't say it's impossible that Homer, for instance, or even Odysseus, were historical, or at least based on once-living men; but even if that were so, we can truly know only a very few things about them. And the myths that accreted about them are still myths, even if there was a grain of sand of truth at the heart of those tales.
 Homer,  Ancient accounts of Homer (lots of them),  Homeric scholarship (starting in antiquity),  Homeric Question (who was Homer and which works did he write? -- goes back to antiquity)

Another notable author with doubtful existence:  Aesop, the fable teller.

Wikipedia has  Category:People whose existence is disputed, listing Aesop, King Arthur, Hengist and Horsa, Homer, Jesus Christ (Christ myth theory), Laozi (Lao Tze), Ned Ludd (the Luddites' claimed inspiration), Lycurgus of Sparta, Robin Hood, and William Tell.

There must of been a lack of concentration (over gulps of wine.. I jest) or they were indeed ...four different accounts from four different sources.
I see you've never played Telephone.

It seems Judaic Jews ,Greeks , Romans or even Muslims haven't learn't that game. Christianity does seem quite unique here .....depending on POV.

It seems Judaic Jews ,Greeks , Romans or even Muslims haven't learn't that game. Christianity does seem quite unique here .....depending on POV.
You really don't think that, say, the Greek myths develop in the telling?
Never researched the story of a particular deity?
Where depending on how far back you go, some of the tales of X seem influenced by other gods from other cultures, or maybe a Greek figure like Charon was a full-fledged God of Death in other, older traditions? Confusing origin stories of deities, and lists of the other gods they were married to and/or born with...

the more mythology you study, the less unique Christainity appears to be... Unless you really, really cherish Christainity, and like Lumpy, really really really need it to be unique.

Jesus warned us about people like Alexander. Good show boys!
Did he ever do what Lucian of Samosata had done?

LoS gave AoA some questions in sealed envelopes, and he got some interesting answers. He asked whether or not AoA was bald, and he got a gibberish answer: Sabardalachou malachaattealos en. He also asked "Where was Homer born?" twice, describing one instance as about a lung problem, and the other instance as whether to go to Italy by land or by sea. AoA responded: use something called "cytmide" mixed with horse spit, and it's better to go by land.

My favorite sealed question, "When will Alexander be found out?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_of_Abonoteichus

Alexander of Abonoteichus (Ancient Greek: Ἀλέξανδρος ὁ Ἀβωνοτειχίτης Alexandros ho Abonoteichites), also called Alexander the Paphlagonian (c. 105 – c. 170 CE), was a Greek mystic and oracle, and the founder of the Glycon cult that briefly achieved wide popularity in the Roman world. The contemporary writer Lucian reports that he was an utter fraud – the god Glycon was supposedly constructed out of a glove puppet. The vivid narrative of his career given by Lucian might be taken as fictitious but for the corroboration of certain coins of the emperors Lucius Verus and Marcus Aurelius[1] and of a statue of Alexander, said by Athenagoras to have stood in the forum of Parium.[2][3]. There is further evidence from inscriptions[4].
Scholars have described Alexander as an oracle who perpetrated a hoax to deceive gullible citizens,[13][14] or as a false prophet and charlatan who played on the hopes of simple people. He was said to have "made predictions, discovered fugitive slaves, detected thieves and robbers, caused treasures to be dug up, healed the sick, and in some cases actually raised the dead".

Alexander was a fraud who supposedly worked miracles, was believed by many in his time to do so and was honored in his life by his dupes who left evidence of him.

http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/lucian/lucian_alexander.htm

Lucian of Samosata : ALEXANDER THE FALSE PROPHET

There are no documents attesting to his alleged miracle acts -- only documents denouncing him as a fraud. That's the evidence that he was a fraud.

Whereas documents saying miracle acts did happen are evidence (not proof) that they did happen, because educated persons took them seriously and recorded them.

You need to explain why we have several cases of miracle frauds reported to us in the ancient literature, but only one case of a miracle-worker who is attested to as genuine in the documents of the time, and none denouncing him as a fraud until centuries later. Also, why virtually all the reported miracle frauds appeared after 100 AD.

Also note that in this period, 100 AD and later, there emerged numerous miracle legends which resemble in some ways that of Jesus in the Gospels (all in one source only and dating 100+ years later than the alleged event). BUT, prior to 100 AD we have NO such miracle legends in the literature. Why would that be? There are easily a dozen such stories or reports appearing in a variety of different sources. By a stretch, maybe a little of it around 80 or 90 AD. At most you can find (earlier) a goofy battle-scene omen/portent here and there in some writings. Laughable stuff compared to Jesus healing the lepers and raising the dead.

Yet nothing earlier in the literature. Why this coincidence? What happened in the early 1st century to cause this strange unprecedented explosion of new miracle stories, which were virtually non-existent earlier?

-----------------

Again, Lucian exposed him for a fraud but was frustrated by being ignored and seeing him become an honored prophet of Glycon. Again, we have statues, coins and other relics demonstrate Alexander was a real person, who apparently, was as Lucian stated, became an honored citizen to some. There were plenty of "fat heads", (Alexander's term for his followers) with not enough skepticism and too much money to make Alexander wealthy over his long lifetime. At this time in Roman history, from time to time astrologers and other tricksters were banished from the cities on pain of death, which is why Alexander ended back up in his home town. His genius was to notice religions were tolerated where astrologers and fortune tellers were not. So he became a religious prophet. The fat heads lapped it up.

You really don't think that, say, the Greek myths develop in the telling?
Never researched the story of a particular deity?
Where depending on how far back you go, some of the tales of X seem influenced by other gods from other cultures, or maybe a Greek figure like Charon was a full-fledged God of Death in other, older traditions?

The bible actually agrees with you at least in some part of the ancient gods and cultures. A lot of the old deities are acknowledged in the bible , a rather historic acknowledgment imo.Do others mention gods in the same way? The more known: Artemis , Zeus, Hermes, Asheroth ... Baal, under many names of differing nations ,and Chemosh, Dagon , Molech etc.. Of course these were called false-gods or lesser gods (watchers perhaps) under various names from the biblical perpsective. They knew about Isis & Horus the Egyptian gods i.e. all pagan gods.

Confusing origin stories of deities, and lists of the other gods they were married to and/or born with...

There was NO confusing other gods among the Israelites way back then funny enough, like the text says; God of the Isrealites says: they are false gods and some, lifeless images. ( I think they understood the context back then).How do the various "myths" acknowledge other gods? Are there false gods claims?

There's no confusion of gods among theists either. Why would one think so?
It is imo, just one of those oldies : "which god and why not that god" argument.

the more mythology you study, the less unique Christainity appears to be... Unless you really, really cherish Christainity, and like Lumpy, really really really need it to be unique.
What I really really want, is to see a book by Bart Erhman titled : Misquoting Heracles!
(I'm sure Lumpen would too)

Last edited:
We have unusually good sources for the historical Jesus, compared to other legends/heroes/prophets of antiquity.

It is normal for many personages to go unmentioned until 100 years after they lived. I.e., mentioned in no sources earlier, and only 1 or 2 sources until 200 years later.

Really? You should have no problem naming us several, then.

Offhand I can name a couple or 3, or 4. I already mentioned rabbis Hillel and Shammai, who appear first in the Talmud.

Also in the Talmud are Hanina ben Dosa and Honi the Circle-Drawer. Actually the latter is also mentioned in Josephus, but the reference is still more than 100 years after he lived.

Another is Confucius, who is not mentioned until centuries later. Also Zoroaster.

I'm sure for every case I know of there are a dozen others. Of course some of these are heroic and legendary figures with doubtful histories, but they probably existed, and we have some factual knowledge of them, though there's legend mixed in. Virtually all the experts believe that Confucius really existed and the rabbis Hillel and Shammai.

If my number is reduced from 100 years down to 50, there are certainly many more such examples, and many of them highly probable and documented as real historical figures (including Jesus (2 sources earlier than 50 years)).

In particular, can you name us some that are widely agreed to be actual, historical personages, not mythical/fictional ones?

Admittedly for more than 100 years we enter the realm of legend. But they probably did exist, and what we have is partly true, or even mostly. But I don't have absolute proof, because my time machine to take me back and verify that they really existed is currently in the shop.

I don't say it's impossible that Homer, for instance, or even Odysseus, were historical, or at least based on once-living men; but even if that were so, we can truly know only a very few things about them. And the myths that accreted about them are still myths, even if there was a grain of sand of truth at the heart of those tales.

But the true part is most important.

Probably some of those characters did really exist. And though the real facts may be partly obscured by the fictions, there has to be something major about them which explains why they got enough attention to be recorded for posterity. And we can recognize in virtually every case what it was which made them become famous.

In the case of Jesus, the legends had to evolve within a period of 25-70 years from his life, because that's when our accounts of him were written. There's no other example of a reported miracle-worker emerging in the culture/literature in such a short time space.

What caused this Jesus figure to become a miracle legend and made into a god/messiah? The best explanation is that he actually did perform the miracle acts described in the Gospel accounts. There is no other explanation.

Last edited:
Why is the existence of some historical characters disputed?

Homer,  Ancient accounts of Homer (lots of them),  Homeric scholarship (starting in antiquity),  Homeric Question (who was Homer and which works did he write? -- goes back to antiquity)

Another notable author with doubtful existence:  Aesop, the fable teller.

Wikipedia has  Category:People whose existence is disputed, listing Aesop, King Arthur, Hengist and Horsa, Homer, Jesus Christ (Christ myth theory), Laozi (Lao Tze), Ned Ludd (the Luddites' claimed inspiration), Lycurgus of Sparta, Robin Hood, and William Tell.

In all the above examples there is little or no documentation of the person's life from any literature of the time, except the case of Jesus, for whom we have at least 5 sources dated 25-70 years from his life. His existence is disputed only for subjective reasons, not lack of evidence, whereas the others listed here are doubted for lack of evidence.

How are the 4 Gospels not INDEPENDENT SEPARATE MULTIPLE SOURCES?

"Independent of what?"

Not copying or 'feeding' off each others work, obviously. Like parts of the Gospel of Mark, being incorporated by Matthew, et al, are not independent accounts of the life or ministry of Jesus.

I've told you several times how the Gospels are separate legitimate sources for the Jesus events. I've given you the reasons, but apparently you refuse to accept the facts. But how about if a Bible-basher celebrity tells you -- Are you willing to listen to him, or will you call this 1st-century historian a liar?

Bart Ehrman on the historical Jesus, in a debate with Robert Price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSY0f9-ZBxI&t=326s (the following excerpt is 10+ minutes into the video)

Jesus of Nazareth is one of the best attested Palestinian Jews of the entire first century. From the year 1 of the Common Era, 1 C.E., to the year 100 C.E., we know that there were hundreds of thousands of Jews living in Palestine. How many of those Jews are better attested than Jesus? One. Josephus the historian. He's attested better only because he left us multiple writings.

If you look only at external attestation for first-century Palestinian Jews, Jesus actually is much better than Josephus. We have 4 Gospels written about him. These Gospels come from the very next generation after his life. Contrast that with Josephus. We have zero narrative accounts of the Jewish historian Josephus. How many narrative accounts do we have for the most powerful religious figure in Jesus' day, Caiaphas, the High Priest Caiaphas? We have no narrative accounts. How many narrative accounts do we have for Pontius Pilate, the most powerful man in first-century Palestine? We have no narrative accounts. How many accounts do we have for anyone else in first-century Palestine? We have no narrative accounts. It's not even close.

I'm not saying the Gospel accounts are non-problematic. As some of you know, I've made an entire career out of arguing that they're problematic. There are enormous problems with the Gospels. And so Bob and I aren't going to be disagreeing about that. They are absolutely problematic. But they are 4 narratives about a person living in first-century Palestine, and they do give us a lot of real information. These 4 Gospels we have -- Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John -- are not simply one Gospel in 4 forms. They are 4 Gospels based on different literary and oral sources.

The Gospel of Mark was probably written some time around the year 70 of the Common Era, Jesus died around the year 30 of the Common Era. Mark is absolutely based on oral traditions that the author had heard. Matthew and Luke used Mark as one of their sources, but they had other sources available to them. Matthew and Luke had one other source that they shared together that no longer exists -- scholars call it Q. Matthew had other sources that Luke did not have, Luke had other sources that Matthew did not have -- that means, prior to the writing of the Gospels, you got sources for Mark, different sources for Matthew and Luke, different sources for Matthew, different sources for Luke, and we're not even talking about John, which didn't use Matthew, Mark, and Luke, and had different sources of his own.

These are multiple independent sources from the first century. How is it possible that you have so many sources about somebody who never existed? These sources are independent of each other, they're not copying one another, you have independent sources from before the Gospels.

Some of these sources have traditions in them that almost certainly go back to Aramaic-speaking Palestine. Some of these sources record sayings of Jesus in which he uses Aramaic words known only in Palestine, some of the sources contain stories that make sense if you translate them back into Aramaic, better sense than they make when they're given in Greek. That shows the stories started out as Aramaic stories.

You have Aramaic stories about Jesus, from Palestine, years before the Gospels. These are stories in Aramaic Palestine that almost certainly go back to the 30s of the Common Era. Multiple sources. This is far better than anybody that we have in Palestine in the entire first century -- it's better than almost anybody we have in the ancient world, with exceptions we all could probably cite.

once again, all together: "multiple independent sources"

Write it on the blackboard 100 times.

The gospels ARE NOT independent sources. We start with the nonsense that is Mark. And then make up nonsense, like the contradictory tall tales of the resurrection and infant narratives, not found in Mark to copy from. It is obvious to reasonable people these myths are just that, myths, made up by anonymous writers who knew nothing. And had no compunction about making up tall tales to wow the fat heads.

You are wasting your time here, those of us who read these collections of nonsense and realize how nonsensical they really are have no confidence that much of anything in these Gospels is true in any way.

Do the Gospels belong in a "GENRE" of literature which makes them necessarily "FICTION"?

(continued from previous Wall of Text)

I'm not impressed by Lumpenproletariat's spews. I haven't seen in them anything close to a discussion of modern scholarship concerning the origin of the Gospels.

How close is "close"?

Discussing such a large volume of literature as "modern scholarship concerning the origin of the Gospels" would require extensive Walls of Text beyond these, but the following and earlier spews on the lpetrich links will hopefully approach closer to such a discussion.

Here are some links on what the Gospels have in common with various works from antiquity nowadays considered fictional.

Ancient Historical Writing Compared to the Gospels of the New Testament | Κέλσος . . .

Resuming notes to the 1st link:

[7] Isaiah 11:1 predicts that the Messiah would descend from King David, but this also served as a good motive for the author of Matthew to invent that Jesus was descended from David.

Why did he want to invent this? What was it about Jesus which caused the author to think Jesus in particular must be the Messiah? This is the fundamental question to address, to determine whether the Jesus miracle acts really happened, but which Ferguson disregards in his pettiness to instead obsesses on whether this genealogy is fictitious.

The existence of the Matthew genealogy, plus many other efforts to tie Jesus to the ancient prophecies and to David, are indications that he did perform the miracle acts described in the Gospels. Because these miracle acts, as real historical events, are the only reasonable explanation why people wanted to make him to be the Jewish Messiah. Why didn't they want to make anyone else to be the Messiah? Why only this Jesus person? The only explanation is that this person did something totally unique which sets him apart from all other prophets and rabbis and hero figures of any kind.

Whether the Mt and Lk genealogies are accurate or not is irrelevant. What's relevant is explaining why these and other Messiah prophecies are applied to Jesus and to no one else.

For a discussion of how Matthew’s genealogy of Jesus (Mt. 1:1-17) was likely fabricated by the author using names from the Old Testament, see Paul Davidson’s essay “What’s the Deal with Matthew’s Genealogy?.”

But why was the Mt author driven to provide a genealogy for Jesus? Why does Ferguson leave an essential question like this unanswered? Why don't we have genealogies for other messianic-type teachers, prophets, revolutionaries, charismatics, etc.?

Why this obsession on the virgin birth and Bethlehem story? What difference does it make whether Jesus was born in Bethlehem or his mother was a virgin?

What really makes a difference is whether he performed the miracle acts described in the Gospels, i.e., whether he had such superhuman power. With such life-giving power as he showed in his healing acts and in his Resurrection, eternal life is made a real possibility, based on evidence.

But how does a virgin birth matter? or being born in Bethlehem?

Obsessing on these symbols actually backfires on the debunker who wants to disprove Christianity. Because this is an attack on something of no importance, something Christ belief does not need and something not necessary for Christ to be important. His importance is his power to give us eternal life, not who his mother was or where he was born. For a debunker to keep falling back on the irrelevant birth stories indicates that he can't find anything important, because no flaw can be found in the part that matters, which is the reported miracle acts.

Also, that the debunker cannot explain why the birth stories exist shows his inability to explain the historical Jesus event, or to take into account the facts we have. Why did the writers need to put Jesus back into the Jewish prophecies? It was his miracle acts which answer this. Nothing else explains where those writers got their impulse to provide a genealogy for Jesus tracing him back to the OT prophecies.

What was so special about Jesus that they had to thrust him -- and ONLY him -- into those OT prophecies and trace him back to David?

It should also be noted that there were several other false genealogies that were invented in antiquity, such as the Roman emperor Galba claiming to be descended from Pasiphaë, the wife of the legendary King Minos of Crete (Suetonius, Life of Galba 2.1), which historians likewise doubt is historical.

This comparison is ludicrous, because we can see obviously why an aggressive powerful demagogue like this would engage in such self-promotion, claiming divine origin, like Julius Caesar and Alexander and others. Let's have an example of a false genealogy provided to a messiah/charismatic by someone other than the self-promoting charismatic himself blowing his own horn, if you want to offer a good comparison to the Matthew genealogy.

Again, the question Ferguson cannot answer: Why did the Mt and Lk authors want to provide a genealogy for Jesus tracing him back to David? Why is there no "false genealogy" back to David invented for anyone other than this Jesus person? Can't we get one answer to one serious relevant question instead of the phony debunker-babble which proves nothing? Can we ever get beyond the snickering about the Bethlehem story etc. and move on to something that matters? Why can't the debunker ever get beyond the silly snarky stuff, like virgin births etc.?

Micah 5:2 predicts that the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem, but it is far more probable that the historical Jesus was actually born in Nazareth, as explained by Bart Ehrman in “Was Jesus from Nazareth?” and “Bethlehem and Nazareth in Matthew.”

Why the obsession with this one virgin-birth-Bethlehem symbol, which Ferguson comes back to again and again? like he has nothing else to offer?

Can't we get beyond the Bethlehem-bashing? What's the point? We have no serious evidence about the Jesus childhood, or anything prior to his appearance in Galilee, near Capernaum, when he encountered the fishermen.

Nothing earlier has any credibility, but what happened after that point is in the historical documents and is supported by multiple sources rather than only one. Only this period, the last few months, or 3 years at most, is what we know and can use to determine essentially what happened. The location of his birth and childhood is totally unknown, as well as unimportant -- the stories are legend only. Debunkers dwelling on this are showing that they have nothing else to offer, nothing to cast doubt on the important miracle healing accounts and the Resurrection, and so they can only keep retreating back to the Bethlehem and virgin birth target upon which to unleash their rage.

An honest debunker, or disbeliever, would admit that such discussion serves only for ridicule and poking fun at believers, and avoidance of real questions which baffle them, such as why the Gospel writers and Paul were driven to make the Jesus person into "the Messiah" or a savior or god, etc. If you are baffled by these serious questions, then you fall back into the superficial virgin-birth-Bethlehem-bashing.

Hosea 11:1 is not even a prophecy about the Messiah but simply states, “When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.” In context, this passage refers to the Jewish Exodus in Egypt, but the author of Matthew later invented an interlude in which Jesus’ father Joseph brought him to Egypt (something none of the other Gospels mention), . . .

That they don't mention it tells us something:

Can we get serious? If so, then a first step is to set aside any Gospel text which is disharmonious with the other 3 Gospel accounts, as this Matthew text is. These difficult Gospel passages are almost always something unique, in disharmony with the others. If it's just a discrepancy on a detail, then it doesn't matter. But something conspicuous which clashes with the other 3 accounts has to be set aside as dubious. If we're serious, and not just goofing around, we must look at only the parts where they agree and recognize that the out-of-place texts might be inventions, or fiction, and not part of the original events from which the "Gospel" evolved.

If it's a singular event that still harmonizes with the other accounts, then it's probably just a separate event the others didn't know of. But if it can't be made compatible with the others, then it's best to set it aside as dubious, perhaps fiction. This is the procedure for any other reported historical events containing discrepancies, or set of accounts describing the same event but conflicting with each other. The truth of what happened is to be found in the parts where they agree. That's the normal approach to deciding what happened based on the differing reports. So the flight to Egypt, found only in Matthew and inconsistent with Luke, is probably fiction. Our real record of the historical Jesus is only that of the last few months, or maximum 3 years, of his life.

. . . in order to draw an allusion to this passage. The allusion is further drawn by the legendary patriarch Joseph’s journey to Egypt.

The influence of the Old Testament on the Gospels can even be seen in their source materials, which must have been produced prior to their composition. In fact, through the literary convention known as Midrash, in which NT characters and episodes are designed to mimic OT characters and episodes, we can tell that whole sections of the Gospels’ narratives are derived from imitation of earlier literature.

Only the birth narratives. The only NT narratives having this relation to OT characters and episodes are the Lk and Mt birth stories. And possibly some specific prophecy-fulfillments, but none of the reported Jesus miracle acts have any connection to OT characters and episodes (note the one exception of II Kings 4:42-46).

. . . we can tell that whole sections of the Gospels’ narratives are derived from imitation of earlier literature.

No we can't.

If that were true we would see other similar narratives about other reported Messiah figures, outside the NT, in other Jewish literature before the Gospels of the late 1st century AD. We would see such narratives in the apocalyptic literature, in the Dead Sea Scrolls, in the apocryphal Bible literature, etc., prior to the Christian writings. We would see other Jesus-like Messiah figures performing miracles in earlier Jewish literature, if the Jesus stories are explained as derived from the ancient Jewish traditions. But we see none of this.

What's the real explanation of the reported Jesus events of about 30 AD? Something real and different must have happened in the 1st century around 30 AD, which is the origin of the Jesus stories, after which various Jews who knew of it searched for explanations in their earlier literature and traditions. Something different must have happened (an event or events) at this point in time from which the Jesus stories are derived. They were not derived from the OT literature, because this Jesus character stands out as something new and distinct from anything earlier, and even something non-Jewish also, as there are also Greek elements which became attached to him.

You could even speculate (wrongly) that Jesus was a product of Greek philosophy, as the Logos, derived from Greek mysticism. That these elements became attached to him does not mean he was derived from these earlier traditions (Greek or Hebrew). Rather, he appeared first, separate from the earlier traditions, and then these elements became attached to him by subsequent writers. That's the only way to explain how those elements are included in the Gospels, because the basic elements of the Jesus events, the miracle acts, have no connection to those earlier traditions or symbols.

Ferguson and Carrier and other debunkers pretend to connect them to earlier traditions and symbols, but each example they offer as a connection is laughable -- they disgrace themselves with virtually every example they give. (The one exception is II Kings 4:42-46, which is a legitimate parallel to the Gospels. But all their other examples are ludicrous.)

(this Wall of Text to be continued)

"Independent of what?"

Not copying or 'feeding' off each others work, obviously. Like parts of the Gospel of Mark, being incorporated by Matthew, et al, are not independent accounts of the life or ministry of Jesus.

I've told you several times how the Gospels are separate legitimate sources for the Jesus events. I've given you the reasons, but apparently you refuse to accept the facts. But how about if a Bible-basher celebrity tells you -- Are you willing to listen to him, or will you call this 1st-century historian a liar?

Bart Ehrman on the historical Jesus, in a debate with Robert Price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSY0f9-ZBxI&t=326s (the following excerpt is 10+ minutes into the video)

Jesus of Nazareth is one of the best attested Palestinian Jews of the entire first century. From the year 1 of the Common Era, 1 C.E., to the year 100 C.E., we know that there were hundreds of thousands of Jews living in Palestine. How many of those Jews are better attested than Jesus? One. Josephus the historian. He's attested better only because he left us multiple writings.

If you look only at external attestation for first-century Palestinian Jews, Jesus actually is much better than Josephus. We have 4 Gospels written about him. These Gospels come from the very next generation after his life. Contrast that with Josephus. We have zero narrative accounts of the Jewish historian Josephus. How many narrative accounts do we have for the most powerful religious figure in Jesus' day, Caiaphas, the High Priest Caiaphas? We have no narrative accounts. How many narrative accounts do we have for Pontius Pilate, the most powerful man in first-century Palestine? We have no narrative accounts. How many accounts do we have for anyone else in first-century Palestine? We have no narrative accounts. It's not even close.

I'm not saying the Gospel accounts are non-problematic. As some of you know, I've made an entire career out of arguing that they're problematic. There are enormous problems with the Gospels. And so Bob and I aren't going to be disagreeing about that. They are absolutely problematic. But they are 4 narratives about a person living in first-century Palestine, and they do give us a lot of real information. These 4 Gospels we have -- Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John -- are not simply one Gospel in 4 forms. They are 4 Gospels based on different literary and oral sources.

The Gospel of Mark was probably written some time around the year 70 of the Common Era, Jesus died around the year 30 of the Common Era. Mark is absolutely based on oral traditions that the author had heard. Matthew and Luke used Mark as one of their sources, but they had other sources available to them. Matthew and Luke had one other source that they shared together that no longer exists -- scholars call it Q. Matthew had other sources that Luke did not have, Luke had other sources that Matthew did not have -- that means, prior to the writing of the Gospels, you got sources for Mark, different sources for Matthew and Luke, different sources for Matthew, different sources for Luke, and we're not even talking about John, which didn't use Matthew, Mark, and Luke, and had different sources of his own.

These are multiple independent sources from the first century. How is it possible that you have so many sources about somebody who never existed? These sources are independent of each other, they're not copying one another, you have independent sources from before the Gospels.

Some of these sources have traditions in them that almost certainly go back to Aramaic-speaking Palestine. Some of these sources record sayings of Jesus in which he uses Aramaic words known only in Palestine, some of the sources contain stories that make sense if you translate them back into Aramaic, better sense than they make when they're given in Greek. That shows the stories started out as Aramaic stories.

You have Aramaic stories about Jesus, from Palestine, years before the Gospels. These are stories in Aramaic Palestine that almost certainly go back to the 30s of the Common Era. Multiple sources. This is far better than anybody that we have in Palestine in the entire first century -- it's better than almost anybody we have in the ancient world, with exceptions we all could probably cite.

once again, all together: "multiple independent sources"

Write it on the blackboard 100 times.

Evidence from UTube? Well, not really.

Even If not Mark as the original material used by the following works, the most likely possibility being that all four gospels are based on an earlier source, either way, what we have in the gospels does not happen to be an example of independent accounts of the events being described.

Do the Gospels belong in a "GENRE" of literature which makes them necessarily "FICTION"?

(continued from previous Walls of Text)

I'm not impressed by Lumpenproletariat's spews. I haven't seen in them anything close to a discussion of modern scholarship concerning the origin of the Gospels.

Discussing such a large volume of literature as "modern scholarship concerning the origin of the Gospels" would require extensive Walls of Text beyond these, but the following and earlier spews on the lpetrich links will hopefully approach closer to such a discussion.

Here are some links on what the Gospels have in common with various works from antiquity nowadays considered fictional.

Ancient Historical Writing Compared to the Gospels of the New Testament | Κέλσος . . .

(resuming notes from this link)

For example, there are two sets of miracle collections used in the Gospel of Mark, both of which are designed to model Jesus after Moses.

These "sets" are arbitrarily defined. There were other miracles in Mark, even other "sets of miracles" before and after these "two sets of miracle collections" and which could have been logically included within the "collections" by just extending the text in either direction to include more of the miracle stories. Or the "collections" could have been reduced by reducing the length of the selected texts. There's nothing objective about Ferguson's "two sets of miracle collections" distinguishing them from the rest of the Mark text.

As R.C. Symes (“Jesus’ Miracles and Religious Myth”) explains: Gospel stories about Jesus’ miracles are a type of Midrash . . .

Only in the sense that virtually ALL texts or ALL stories are types of Midrash (or all those written by Jews).

. . . type of Midrash (i.e., contemporizing and reinterpreting) of Old Testament events in order to illustrate theological themes.

You could probably say this to describe half of the stories and history written over the last 2000 years. The Mark stories are no more related to OT events ("reinterpreting" them) than hundreds/thousands of subsequent stories or historical events. There is nothing in the Mark miracles any more related to Old Testament events than to ancient Roman or Greek events/legends. Or Hindu legends. Parallels can be drawn to any ancient legends from virtually any literature, or any historical hero figures. You can draw similar parallels between Davy Crockett and ancient Hebrew or Greek & Roman legends. Or Norse mythology. Hundreds of real historical figures and fiction characters can be seen as parallels to the ancient heroes.

(I'll inject here again that there is one case only of a Jesus miracle story having a noteworthy connection to something earlier, and thus possibly derived from the earlier story. This is the multiplying the fish-and-loaves (Mark 6:34-44 and 8:1-9). This one story has a similarity to the Elisha story of II Kings 4:42-44, giving reason to believe the earlier story may have inspired part of the later Jesus story. Since this one case stands alone as the single Jesus miracle story resembling something earlier, I've been giving it extra attention:

The only serious argument against the Miracles of Jesus as historical fact
Since this is the only serious case of a connection of a Jesus miracle act to anything earlier, it's clear that there is no pattern of the reported Jesus miracle acts being derived from earlier stories or traditions. There is only this one exception -- if there were several others one might then claim a pattern exists.)

Drawing parallels like this between legends from different periods does not prove that any of them are more likely to be fiction. There's reason to believe some of the later legends are fiction. But that a modern hero figure resembles some ancient Greek hero is no evidence that the modern hero is fictional.

If we have a modern legend who is also a real person who did a heroic deed, then his resemblance to an ancient fictional hero does not turn him into a fictional character. So the resemblance to an ancient fictional character is no evidence that the later character is fictional. We already know he is either fact or fiction, regardless of any resemblance to an earlier fictional character. That resemblance is no evidence whatever that the later character is fictional. At best it's only evidence that later symbols got added to the story of this later character who was a real person.

Among the many miracles in Mark’s original narrative, there are two sets of five miracles each. Each set begins with a sea-crossing miracle and ends with a miraculous feeding.

Ferguson here chooses the text matter from Mark 4:35-8:9 and describes this run of text as two "sets" of five miracles each. But why does he single out this particular block of text from Mark? There are miracle stories both before and after this block of text, and nothing distinctive about this run of text from 4:35-8:9 to make it a special sequence to single out to be carved up and analyzed into "sets" of something. One could objectively begin the text block one chapter earlier than at 4:35, or later, or end it one chapter earlier or later than 8:9. Why does he chop out this particular segment of Mark to be broken down further into two "sets" like this? and fixing a dividing line between the "sets" at 6:44 / 6:45?

One can play with the sequence of events and wording in order to produce "sets" of these or those events seeming to follow a pattern. Depending on where the "set" begins, you can come up with a seeming pattern.

A more logical arrangement of the miracle stories from the above chopped-out block of text would begin the first "set" of miracles with the sea crossing (Mk 4:35) and end with the raising of Jairus' daughter (5:43); then the second "set" beginning with the feeding of the 5000 (6:34) and ending with the healings at Gennesaret (6:56); and then a third "set" beginning with the healing of the Syrophoenician woman (7:24) and ending with the feeding of the 4000 (8:9). So really there are THREE "sets" of miracles here, rather than two.

These three "sets" make more sense than Ferguson's two "sets" because they are not interrupted by extraneous teaching matter unconnected to the miracle stories. But because there's no repeating pattern shown by these three "sets" of miracles, Ferguson instead creates different "sets" of miracles, finding two "sets" here instead of three, and so he artificially makes this text matter a special section of Mark, running from 4:35 to 8:9 in order to come up with his amazing discovery that there are two "sets" of miracle stories containing 5 miracles each and each "set" ending with a feeding miracle. With this kind of logic one could easily prove many claims of numerologists about how the Hebrew Prophets predict when the world will come to an end, or how Nostradamus predicted Napoleon or Adolph Hitler.

You can prove any fantastic omen or prophecy you imagine by taking an ancient text and carving it up like this into artificial "sets" of verses or hexameters or triameters or other pieces, and putting the dividing points between the "sets" any place where they produce the desired pattern you're seeking to find in it.

Can you imagine the Mark redactor or editor in 70 AD counting the number of miracles falling between 4:35 and 8:9 and adding or subtracting one to make the number come out to the magic number 5? or rearranging the order to make each "set" end with a miracle feeding story? Why would he select this one unique block of text with which to play such a game?

Of course a Gospel writer might engage in some such numbers game, like over-using certain magic numbers like 3 or 7 or 12. Or "40 days and 40 nights" etc. In some cases there may be a fictional element introduced into the text as a result of this. But this says nothing about whether the Jesus miracle act really happened. Such use of a magic number is only a later embellishment added to the original miracle story. A writer or storyteller was fascinated with the Jesus story, the miracle acts, and perhaps expanded it, or exaggerated something, to bring the magic number into it, for some additional impact.

One has to be extremely desperate for excitement to get an orgasm over such numbers, seeking a pattern of the "miraculous feedings" or "sea crossings" or the number of exorcisms between this sea crossing and that miraculous feeding. If you're seeking out such patterns and magic numbers, you're bound to find something throughout all the many chapters -- it would be amazing if you were unable to find something. The phone book probably has many such patterns and magic numbers scattered randomly throughout its pages, if you look for them.

He uses this literary construct so his readers will recall the role of Moses leading his people through water towards the promised land, and feeding them with manna from heaven.

How does crossing the Red Sea, with the waters divided in half to produce dry land, resemble a boat ride across the Sea of Galilee? These are both "leading his people through water"? With a stretch like this, you could connect almost any sea story to Moses going to the promised land.

Likewise the story of Columbus crossing the Atlantic to discover his "promised land" is a similar literary construct. Much of what we call "history" might be fiction because it resembles earlier legends in some way. So every account of anyone crossing a body of water is really just a metaphor derived from Moses crossing the Red Sea.

Jesus does something similar.

Yes, along with several million other historical figures who crossed an ocean or lake or river and encountered any trouble. All the Spanish and Portuguese explorers from 1492-1600 did "something similar" to this. Some of them even experienced miracles. Here's a Christopher Columbus miracle story: http://www.nobility.org/2013/04/25/columbus-raises-a-cross-in-hispaniola-and-miracles-follow/ , which happened before and after crossing oceans. So the whole Columbus story is fiction, and the Cortez and Pizarro and Balboa stories, etc. -- all the explorers in search of their "promised land" flowing with gold and silver, all copying Moses crossing the Red Sea and searching for new territory. All fiction.

And with each water and feeding miracle, there is one exorcism and two healing miracles that are to remind readers of the works of the prophets Elijah and Elisha and how Jesus surpasses them.

There are no exorcisms in the Elijah or Elisha stories, or in any Hebrew literature. These stories in the Gospel accounts pop up out of nowhere, with no explanation from any previous traditions or literature or legends.

But also, the prophets Elijah and Elisha were forgotten characters of no importance to Jews in the first century. Only after the Gospels were written did these characters suddenly become important to Christ believers who then learned of them for the first time. There is virtually NO mention of them in any Hebrew literature after their appearance centuries earlier in I-II Kings.

Virtually no mention of Elijah/Elisha in Jewish literature, after I-II Kings

The only serious exception to this is Sirach 48:1-11, but this is a small part of a long series of eulogies (chapters 44-50) to traditional Jewish heroes of the Bible, from Adam through the latter prophets.

There are only two mentions of Elijah in the Hebrew scriptures outside I-II Kings. One is Malachi 3:23 -- "Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the LORD." The other is the mention in II Chronicles -- 21:12 (the only mention of Elijah in I-II Chronicles), which mistakenly names Elijah as the author of a letter to King Jehoram. Except for these two there is no mention of Elijah anywhere in the OT after II Kings. And no mention at all of Elisha.

In contrast to Elijah/Elisha, the prophets Samuel and Nathan are mentioned prominently in the Hebrew Bible outside of I-II Samuel and I-II Kings. Why does Chronicles omit any mention whatever of Elisha, and have only one obscure reference to Elijah, if these two prophets were important? They obviously were not. I.e., not until after 50 AD when the Gospels were written, and then, all of a sudden, Elijah appears as a major Jewish prophet.

Josephus, in 80-90 AD, includes Elijah/Elisha in his early histories, covering all the Hebrew Bible events. But it's interesting that there is no mention of them anywhere in all the earlier Jewish literature, other than the above references in II Chr. and Mal., which of course say nothing about any reported miracles, and Sirach 44, which is the only reference recognizing any miracle claims. So the Elijah/Elisha miracle-workers are almost totally ignored, outside I-II Kings, before the New Testament writings.

Note that this reference in Josephus fits the pattern of miracle stories starting to become important at the end of the 1st century AD. The new rash of miracle stories begins at roughly 100 AD, with possible earlier hints of it from 80 or 90. The Book of Acts is the most obvious example, with its parade of new miracle stories, written 90-100 AD. And yet before this, 50 AD and earlier, there is a virtual blank, zero, of miracle stories in any of the literature, including virtually zero interest in Elijah and Elisha.

It is comical to watch Ferguson and Carrier and other debunkers trying to find miracle stories in this earlier period. It should be obvious to anyone who looks at the plain facts that something happened around 30-50 AD to cause a whole new wave of miracle stories to appear in history, beginning in the 50s with Paul's mention of the Jesus Resurrection. What caused this sudden change in the thinking and in the literature of that period?

Elijah DISSED by Philo the Alexandrian

In this period there is a passage in Philo the Alexandrian referring to the widow in I Kings 17 who encountered Elijah, but note how Philo plays down Elijah ("the prophet") and completely ignores his two miracles here:

And the woman who met the prophet, in the book of Kings, resembles this fact: "And she was a widow," not meaning by that, as we generally use the word, a woman when she is bereft of her husband, but that she is so, from being free from those passions which corrupt and destroy the soul, as Thamar is represented by Moses. For she also . . .

For the name Thamar, being interpreted, means the palm-tree. And every soul that is beginning to be widowed and devoid of evils, says to the prophet, "O, man of God! hast thou come to me to remind me of my iniquity and of my sin?" For he being inspired, and entering into the soul, and being filled with heaveny love, and being amazingly excited by the intolerable stimulus of heaven-inflicted frenzy . . .

The Works of Philo, Hendrickson Publishers, p. 169

Philo here quotes twice from I Kings 17, and yet he completely ignores two of Elijah's most important miracles reported here, having slight resemblance to those of Jesus, which shows how unimportant Elijah was to 1st-century Jews, especially anything to do with miracles. Instead Philo turns this scripture into a sermon on what widowhood means. This is a virtual put-down of miracle claims and almost a disrespect toward "the prophet" whose name is not worth mentioning.

(This Philo text is a REAL example of a Midrash, being an interpretation of a particular scripture text, which the Mark miracle stories are not.)

So, with Elijah/Elisha being so unimportant in 70 AD or earlier, virtually unknown to Jews, why would the Mark writer want to create a story based on them? On Moses, yes -- the name Moses is found everywhere in all the literature, but Elijah and Elisha are almost nonexistent after their appearance in I-II Kings.

Other prophets, especially Samuel and Nathan and Daniel, were more important and are mentioned in the Jewish literature of the period (outside of I-II Samuel and I-II Kings and Daniel). But Elijah and Elisha are completely ignored, and it makes no sense to say a Christ-believing Jew in 70 AD would use such nobody figures upon which to build a new miracle legend.

Rather, in reverse order, the Elijah/Elisha legend became popular AFTER the Gospels appeared, or as they were being written and the Jesus stories were circulating, because then Jews believing in Jesus became interested in miracle claims and searched back to their ancient scriptures for a precedent, in order to find ways to claim Jesus was anticipated by the ancient prophets.

Only one mention of Elijah/Elisha in all the Dead Sea Scrolls

Dead Sea Scrolls fragments 4Q382:

Fr. 2
... [And] Elisha went up. [When the sons of the prophets who were over at Jericho] saw [him over against them, they said, The spirit of Elijah rests over Elish]a. And they came to meet Elisha, [and bowed to the ground before him. And they said to him, Behold now, there are with your servants] fifty [strong] men; [pray, let them go, and seek your master; it may be that the spirit of the Lord has caught him up and cast him upon some mou]nta[in or into some valley].

At most this might contain an allusion to Elijah's being taken by the fiery chariot, but otherwise no mention of any miracles. So Elijah/Elisha as miracle-workers are almost 100% ignored in the Dead Sea Scrolls and other Jewish literature before the New Testament, while the names appear perhaps half a dozen times. (Of course they appear in the copy of I-II Kings in the Dead Sea Scrolls, which duplicate virtually the entire Hebrew Bible.)

Sirach 48 stands out as the only exception, containing eulogies to Elijah/Elisha, but also containing eulogies to many other Jewish figures, even some obscure figures (Phinehas, son of Eleazar -- 45:23, Caleb, son of Jephunneh -- 46:7, and Simon the priest, son of Jochanan -- 50:1). So this one writer includes Elijah/Elisha in his over-extensive list of Jewish heroes whom he eulogizes, covering 7 chapters.

. . . miracles that are to remind readers of the works of the prophets Elijah and Elisha and how Jesus surpasses them.

No, Jesus in the Gospels does NOT surpass them. They both allegedly performed many other miracles exceeding way beyond those of Jesus. Look at all the miracles they did which surpass those of Jesus in the Gospels:

• Jesus did not bring down fire from Heaven, as Elijah did, consuming the altar and stones and "lapping up the water" drenching the altar (I Kings 18:38).
  • He did not bring heavy rain to end a drought, as Elijah did (I Kings 18:41-45).
  • He did not bring down fire from Heaven to consume a company of 50 soldiers, like Elijah reportedly did two times (II Kings 1:9-12).
  • He did not part the waters of the Jordan River (II Kings 2:8) or any other river, like Elijah did. And like Elisha also did (II Kings 2:14).
If the Gospel writers are saying Jesus surpassed Elijah and Elisha, why didn't they have him part the waters of the Jordan, like they did?

Look at some other Elisha miracles which surpass those of Jesus in the Gospels:

• Jesus did not purify the water of a whole town so the residents had clean drinking water for many years, as Elisha did (II Kings 2:19-22). This amazing feat far surpasses that of Jesus turning water into wine, which benefited only a few dozen party-goers at a wedding, for just one occasion only.
  • Jesus did not summon two "she-bears" from the woods to rip apart 42 naughty children (II Kings 2:23-24). (No, on second thought, let's not bring that one up!)
  • Jesus did not give fertility to a woman who needed a son, as Elisha did so that she later conceived (II Kings 4:14-17).
  • Jesus did not strike blind a strong force of enemy soldiers coming to take him captive, and later open their eyes, like Elisha did (II Kings 6:13-20). All Jesus did was heal victims one at a time, sometimes 2 (blind men) simultaneously, but not a large number all at once, so Elisha had more power than Jesus to inflict and cure blindness (if we take literally those bizarre tales of II Kings, which a Christ-believer need not do).
So how can Ferguson claim the Jesus miracles are intended to remind readers "how Jesus surpasses" Elijah and Elisha? Again our debunker-scholar is just dogmatically driving home his ideological premise, contradicting the clear facts with more false logic and fiction of his own -- plus also pretending to psycho-analyze the Gospel writers and their readers, diagnosing them as needing a miracle-worker superior to Elijah/Elisha, which they obviously did not, and who obviously were not taking their Jesus stories from those earlier legends, as Ferguson fanatically insists, not only undermining his competence as a scholar but also practicing psychology without a license.

But in his bumbling manner, Ferguson does make a point: Jesus is superior to Elijah and Elisha, because for these 9th-century BC prophets we have virtually no evidence that they really did the reputed miracle acts. There is only one source for them, written almost 300 years later than they lived, so these reputed miracle-workers were never taken seriously by Jews, and no one later would have used them as a model for inventing a later miracle legend. We can assume these prophets (or this prophet) evolved in legend over those 200-300 years, as the original popular folk hero became mythologized over time and acquired a reputation of having performed supernatural wonders.

If one chooses to believe the claims anyway, it's not based on evidence, as belief in the miracle acts of Jesus is based on evidence.

Last edited:
The bible actually agrees with you at least in some part of the ancient gods and cultures. A lot of the old deities are acknowledged in the bible , a rather historic acknowledgment imo.Do others mention gods in the same way?
Yes, actually. Pagans approach their deities differently.
They might tell a story about "Ishtar, also called Inana," so readers could better identify the gods being discussed. Or a traveler might mention a trip among worshipers of Bath "which is how they name Minerva in their barbaric tongue."

But you're drifting from my point. The stories vary over time, but that's how people tell stories. Except for those cultures that venerated oral histories and took specific steps to keep the tellers from adding pleasing details, they grow. Just like the stories of Jesus grew in the telling, giving us four gospels but not four sources.

(continued from previous Wall of Text)

(resuming notes from this link)

The parallels between events in Jesus’ life to those in the lives of Moses, Elijah and Elisha and others are too close . . .

What "others"? These three are the only OT figures who reportedly did miracle acts having any "parallel" to Jesus, though even for these three there's no similarity to the miracles of Jesus in the Gospels (II Kings 4:42-44 being the sole exception).

. . . parallels between events in Jesus’ life to those in the lives of Moses, Elijah and Elisha and others are too close for a coincidence.

What's "too close"? What's the similarity to Moses?

. . . Moses leading his people through water towards the promised land, and feeding them with manna from heaven.

This "parallel" to Jesus is too close for a coincidence? How?

Like the parallels between Moses and the Spanish explorers are too close for a coincidence? -- crossing "the sea" seeking new territory. Columbus had trouble with his flock, like Moses dealing with rebellious Jews, unlike Jesus whose disciples followed him in total cooperation, so the parallel between Columbus and Moses is stronger than between Jesus and Moses.

So, what are the "parallels" between Jesus and Moses which are "too close for coincidence"? It's true there is a slight parallel to Elijah/Elisha (3 healing stories), but these were virtually forgotten figures after 500-600 BC and of no importance later to Jews when the Gospels were written. And there is no significant parallel of them to Jesus, other than the one Elisha story (II Kings 4:42-44) about which there's more in the next Wall of Text. That one only shows an uncanny resemblance to the fish-and-loaves story in the Gospels. But there's no other parallel.

The miracles of Moses and Elijah/Elisha have the same similarity to many other stories of heroes or gods to which many parallels may be drawn, just as symbols in Homer might be likened to Jack and the Beanstalk or to George Washington and the Cherry Tree, etc. I.e., to other legends of real and fictional characters down through the centuries.

This points more to constructing religious myths in the gospel for theological reasons, than to reporting historical facts.

But then likewise our historical accounts of Columbus and Balboa and Magellan and Cortez etc. point more to religious myths than historical facts. And the inspiring story of the Moon landing in 1969, of crossing the long expanse of empty space in search of new territory, is also religious fiction rather than historical fact, being a metaphor on Moses having to traverse "the wilderness" toward the Promised Land. Probably most accepted history is really only "religious myths" constructed from the ancient legends. All the parallels are "too close for a coincidence."

So again, the reasoning which dismisses the Jesus miracle acts as fictional is reasoning which also requires us to dismiss half our known history. There are many historical events we assume are true but which resemble Moses leading the Israelites to the Promised Land (the pioneers, the explorers, the Vikings, Brigham Young, etc., etc.), and so this resemblance must mean that these events are only fictions inspired by the Moses story, and you can throw out all that history you were taught in school (or half of it).

Scholar William Telford discusses these miracle collections further in Interpretation of Mark (pg. 18), as does Richard Horsley in Hearing the Whole Story (pg. 106). I also discuss the role of Midrash in Gospel myth-making further, in my essay . . .

Ferguson distorts the meaning of "Midrash" so that virtually ANY story of any kind becomes a Midrash, and probably any lesson or teaching of any kind.

The real meaning of "Midrash" is:

In Judaism, the midrash (/ˈmɪdrɑːʃ/;[1] Hebrew: מִדְרָשׁ‬; pl. Hebrew: מִדְרָשִׁים‬ midrashim) is the genre of rabbinic literature which contains early interpretations and commentaries on the Written Torah and Oral Torah (spoken law and sermons), as well as non-legalistic rabbinic literature (aggadah) and occasionally the Jewish religious laws (halakha), which usually form a running commentary on specific passages in the Hebrew Scripture (Tanakh).[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midrash

or

an ancient commentary on part of the Hebrew scriptures, attached to the biblical text. The earliest Midrashim come from the 2nd century AD, although much of their content is older. https://www.google.com/search?dcr=0....64.psy-ab..0.6.385...0i22i30k1.0.-Hyy5_fW10w

So to be a "Midrash" it must include a scripture text as the source for the commentary. If no scripture is present to serve as the object of the commentary, then it's not a "Midrash," unless you claim anything anyone writes is really a commentary on some unnamed scripture. In which case every post in TalkFreethought.org is really a "Midrash" on some scripture not named in the post.

Anything written by anyone can probably be connected to some unnamed scripture and labeled a "Midrash" because it's really commenting on that scripture.

So by that reasoning, Mark is Midrash. But the stories of Davy Crockett or George Washington or William Tell are also Midrash, even the true stories of real events. So just calling it "Midrash" does not make it fiction. There are true stories about the great heroes, not just fictional stories. So just calling it "Midrash" doesn't mean it's fiction, even if you want to call virtually all stories "Midrash" because they might be interpreted as connected to an ancient scripture teaching.

I also discuss the role of Midrash in Gospel myth-making further, in my essay “Patterns of Myth-Making Between the Lives of Alexander the Great and Jesus Christ.”

There is this major difference between the Alexander the Great legend and the Jesus Christ legend: No one can explain how the Jesus miracle legend emerged, if it's fiction, but it is very easy to explain how some fictional stories about Alexander the Great came about: He was a uniquely famous celebrity figure during his time, with vast power over millions of lives which he changed by exercising his power over them to the great benefit of some and extreme disaster for others.

Is there any difficulty seeing how such a powerful figure could become an object of mythologizing or gossip or rumor or storytelling? He was a "Superstar" hero, to whom are added some fictions or exaggeration of his deeds -- and yet with all that, he's credited with no miracle/superhuman power reported in the literature.

But in the case of Jesus it is impossible to explain how the "Superstar" became mythologized; especially how he became credited with superhuman acts way beyond anything Alexander the Great is credited with having done.

Why was Jesus credited with doing superhuman miracle acts?
But Alexander the Great was not?
Alexander is a very unique figure, but we know what his uniqueness was, and this explains the unique storytelling and legend-building which happened in his case. But no one can explain what Jesus did in 3 years or less which brought him fame or celebrity status and turned him into a miracle legend on a higher level than Alexander who did only human acts and no reported superhuman acts.

Ferguson has no explanation how Jesus became mythologized or how the miracle stories of Jesus have any resemblance to the stories of Alexander the Great, or how the explanation for such stories is the same for these two historical characters. His only argument about this is that some of the Alexander legends/fictions probably emerged early rather than centuries later. But none of these legends are of any miracle acts performed by Alexander. The closest would be some stories of him killing enemies in battle who sometimes were freaks or beasts, but there is nothing of him wielding superhuman power, or anything other than just some exaggerations of him hacking to death an unusually large number of the enemy.

It borders on mental illness to see this kind of "miracle" power as analogous to that of Jesus healing the blind, the paralytics, the lepers, etc. Admittedly there are some battle scene tales in the ancient literature depicting unusual or bizarre events, omens and portents, amazing scenes in the sky, visions, etc., and some of these occur early in the literature, near to the time of the battles rather than centuries later. It's easy to explain the occurrence of such fiction in some writings and to explain it as normal human story-telling of which there are some examples.

But the reported miracle acts of Jesus are clearly in a much different category than these and have no explanation, nor is there any parallel to them in any of the ancient literature, which there would be if such miracle claims were typical of the ancient cultures, as the battle scene tales were typical.

So the answer to the above question, why superhuman miracle acts are attributed to Jesus but not to Alexander the Great, is: Jesus actually did perform such acts and Alexander did not. Pretty basic.

. . . parallels between events in Jesus’ life to those in the lives of Moses, Elijah and Elisha and others are too close for a coincidence.

Where there's a miracle, you'll find a "Prophet" in the regarding texts (they were all Prophets- the mentioned above) . Similar attributes asigned to Prophets, by "one" God .. i.e. in similar fashion ... usual method style.

(can't add to that will have to get reference from Lumpens walls of texts)

Back
Top Bottom