• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

50 Calibre Guided Bullets

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
This kinda ups the ante:

EXACTO Guided Bullet Demonstrates Repeatable Performance against Moving Targets

April 27, 2015

DARPA’s Extreme Accuracy Tasked Ordnance (EXACTO) program, which developed a self-steering bullet to increase hit rates for difficult, long-distance shots, completed in February its most successful round of live-fire tests to date. An experienced shooter using the technology demonstration system repeatedly hit moving and evading targets. Additionally, a novice shooter using the system for the first time hit a moving target.

http://www.darpa.mil/NewsEvents/Releases/2015/04/27.aspx

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoOaJclkSZg[/YOUTUBE]

Great, now US police can shoot suspects running away in one shot.
They have to work out the skin color detection first. A 50 cal bullet goes a long way and you can't really tell when you pull the trigger.

That is incredible especially since the bullet is spinning. I wonder how it is guided? "optical guidance" can mean anything from a laser to hit anything that is visible.

That is incredible especially since the bullet is spinning. I wonder how it is guided? "optical guidance" can mean anything from a laser to hit anything that is visible.

It is thought to use small fins that shoot out of the bullet and re-direct its path, but the US has not disclosed how it works.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...llow-moving-targets-10209985.html?icn=puff-12

I didn't bother linking to this in the OP because I figured the reporter just made up the first part of that sentence.

Fins would be spinning along with the projectile at the rate of rifling twist. Maybe an adjustable nozzle on the centre of the rear of the projectile that tilts in the required direction in response to the movement of the target?

Rifling is done to spin the bullet, so as to improve stability and hence accuracy. This technology presumably renders rifling obsolete; I would be interested to know if they use a smooth bore for this weapon.

Rifling is done to spin the bullet, so as to improve stability and hence accuracy. This technology presumably renders rifling obsolete; I would be interested to know if they use a smooth bore for this weapon.

So they are mini ballistic missiles...no rifling needed.

They use a standard rifle. This means that the bullet is spinning.

They use a standard rifle. This means that the bullet is spinning.

Standard rifle with smooth bore

Not based on what I've found:

"EXACTO isn’t the world’s first steerable bullet. Sandia has developed its own highly accurate rounds that rely on optical sensors and use controllable find to guide the projectile towards its target. But Sandia’s rounds can only be fired from a special smooth-bore gun, while EXACTO can be fired from standard military rifles."

http://siliconangle.com/blog/2014/07/14/darpas-hotshots-test-fire-steerable-bullets/

I was curious how the bullet knew what the target was so I read a few DARPA descriptions of the system. They, of course, didn't say exactly how it worked but the best I could figure is that it is essentially like the JDAM precision guided gravity bombs or the Hellfire missiles that were so effective. It looks like the target needs to be illuminated with a laser and the bullet directs itself to the laser spot. So someone needs to hold the laser on the target so the bullet will adjust itself to correct for wind, target movement, aiming error, etc.

Nitpick.. a smoothbore is called a firearm or cannon. a rifled bore is called a rifle... that is where the name comes from.
So a "smooth bore rifle" is an oxymoron.

:) nitpick, nitpick: a smooth bore shoulder fired firearm would be called a musket (or a shotgun if firing shot rather than a slug). :)

Last edited:
Nitpick.. a smoothbore is called a firearm or cannon. a rifled bore is called a rifle... that is where the name comes from.

:) nitpick, nitpick: a smooth bore shoulder fired firearm would be called a musket (or a shotgun if firing shot rather than a slug). :)

Unless, of course, it is a Carbine.

Expecting logic or consistency from the military, or from ancient crafts such as weapons manufacture, is a losing game.

I knew that, I just did not know how to call it, so thank you. But I can imagine calling something which looks like a riffle a cannon.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL, when I thought how to call it word "musket" crossed my mind.

I was curious how the bullet knew what the target was so I read a few DARPA descriptions of the system. They, of course, didn't say exactly how it worked but the best I could figure is that it is essentially like the JDAM precision guided gravity bombs or the Hellfire missiles that were so effective. It looks like the target needs to be illuminated with a laser and the bullet directs itself to the laser spot. So someone needs to hold the laser on the target so the bullet will adjust itself to correct for wind, target movement, aiming error, etc.
JDAM ads $40k to the cost of the bomb.
I think musket has a camera, laser range finder which determines position of the bullet then it's a simple calculation and sending commands to the bullet via radio or better laser link.

Back
Top Bottom