• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

a bird feeder hobby, and the problem of infected finches

Rather attractive birds. Does the red signify the male or female?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_finch#Breeding

Adults have a long, square-tipped brown tail and are a brown or dull-brown color across the back with some shading into deep gray on the wing feathers. Breast and belly feathers may be streaked; the flanks usually are. In most cases, adult males' heads, necks and shoulders are reddish.

Females are typically attracted to the males with the deepest pigment of red to their head, more so than the occasional orange or yellowish-headed males that sometimes occur.

I had bird feeders for a time. The problem was that around my yard we have about 20 house sparrows for 1 of another bird and the house sparrows would just sit there and throw the seeds on the ground. From there the rodents took over.

Just put the main feeder back out after disassembling, cleaning, bleaching and rinsing.

House Sparrows? Yes, they are a nuisance and need to be kept under control or other cavity nesters are doomed. They're a very aggressive invasive.

I had bird feeders for a time. The problem was that around my yard we have about 20 house sparrows for 1 of another bird and the house sparrows would just sit there and throw the seeds on the ground. From there the rodents took over.

I gave up on birdfeeders years ago because I could only afford the mixed feed from Walmart that had lots of millet. Between the flocks of starlings completely taking over and making a racket and the blue jays throwing everything on the ground looking for the sunflower seeds, and then attracting rats, I gave it up. But then I discovered birdbaths and so I made two for the front yard. One's on the ground for the larger birds, and one's on top of a wine barrel for the chickadees and finches that are more wary of cats. And I don't mind a bit that the squirrels enjoy it as well. I have hoses going to each on a timer so they get flushed out every night. And I keep mosquitos from breeding with something called Mosquito Bits that's a biological control that's dispensed using an automatic fish feeder after the water change every night. The birds really dig getting in and splashing around. Probably didn't save me any money though when you add everything up.

We brought the main feeder and platform feeders in a week ago. We bring them in because the house finches will be attracted to them and to the fruit trees. When the fruit trees are in bloom the house finches love to feed on the flowers and the flower buds, and will completely strip the tree of potential fruit. I left two stumps of seeds and water in a location that is away from the fruit trees and the birds use it regularly. But I will remove even those in another couple weeks.

After the fruit trees have had a chance to set fruit I will return the feeders to use as the house finches and house sparrows will leave the fruit alone until it is ripe by which time I will have placed some nets.

Most birds feed caterpillars and insects to their developing young but I will leave the seed out as long as possible.

We brought the main feeder and platform feeders in a week ago. We bring them in because the house finches will be attracted to them and to the fruit trees. When the fruit trees are in bloom the house finches love to feed on the flowers and the flower buds, and will completely strip the tree of potential fruit. I left two stumps of seeds and water in a location that is away from the fruit trees and the birds use it regularly. But I will remove even those in another couple weeks.

Why Are Birds Eating My Flowers?
Hummingbirds aren't the only nectar-eaters out there! Tanagers, orioles, grosbeaks, and finches also have a taste for the sugary fluid, but don't have the anatomy to gracefully sip as they flutter from bloom to bloom. Instead, these species have to bite flowers off of their stems to access nectar. The voracity with which they process the flowers in their bills may give an appearance of florivory, but they are actually consuming the plant's nectar.

Back
Top Bottom