• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Around World War II, psychologist Abraham Maslow decided to consider mentally healthy people, to balance out study of mental pathologies. In 1943, he published his conclusions in "A Theory of Human Motivation" in Psychological Review.

He proposed that we have a hierarchy of needs, from the physiological to the transcendent.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs, Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs | Simply Psychology, Abraham Maslow and Happiness, What Is Maslow's Needs Hierarchy?

This is often depicted as layers of a pyramid. From bottom to top:
  1. Physiological: breathing, food, water, sex, sleep, homeostasis, excretion
  2. Safety: security of body, employment, resources, morality, family, health, property
  3. Love and Belonging: friendship, family, sexual intimacy
  4. Esteem: self-esteem, confidence, achievement, respect of others, respect by others
  5. Self-actualization: morality, creativity, spontaneity, problem solving, lack of prejudice, acceptance of facts
(from an image file in the Simply Psychology article)

They can be classified further:
  • Deficiency or D-needs:
    • Basic needs: 1, 2
    • Psychological needs: 3, 4
  • Growth or being or B-needs:
    • Self-fulfillment needs: 5

The Simply Psychology article has another version of it.
  1. Biological and Physiological needs - air, food, drink, shelter, warmth, sex, sleep, etc.
  2. Safety needs - protection from elements, security, order, law, stability, etc.
  3. Love and belongingness needs - friendship, intimacy, trust and acceptance, receiving and giving affection and love. Affiliating, being part of a group (family, friends, work).
  4. Esteem needs - self-esteem, achievement, mastery, independence, status, dominance, prestige, managerial responsibility, etc.
  5. Cognitive needs - knowledge and understanding, curiosity, exploration, need for meaning and predictability.
  6. Aesthetic needs - appreciation and search for beauty, balance, form, etc.
  7. Self-Actualization needs - realizing personal potential, self-fulfillment, seeking personal growth and peak experiences.
  8. Transcendence needs - helping others to achieve self actualization.
Needs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 are the original five, while 5, 6, and 8 were added by AM and others in the 1960's and 1970's.

In 1970, AM studied 15 people that he considered self-actualized, and here is what he concluded about them.

Characteristics of self-actualizers:
1. They perceive reality efficiently and can tolerate uncertainty;
2. Accept themselves and others for what they are;
3. Spontaneous in thought and action;
4. Problem-centered (not self-centered);
5. Unusual sense of humor;
6. Able to look at life objectively;
7. Highly creative;
8. Resistant to enculturation, but not purposely unconventional;
9. Concerned for the welfare of humanity;
10. Capable of deep appreciation of basic life-experience;
11. Establish deep satisfying interpersonal relationships with a few people;
12. Peak experiences;
13. Need for privacy;
14. Democratic attitudes;
15. Strong moral/ethical standards.

Behavior leading to self-actualization:
(a) Experiencing life like a child, with full absorption and concentration;
(b) Trying new things instead of sticking to safe paths;
(c) Listening to your own feelings in evaluating experiences instead of the voice of tradition, authority or the majority;
(d) Avoiding pretense ('game playing') and being honest;
(e) Being prepared to be unpopular if your views do not coincide with those of the majority;
(f) Taking responsibility and working hard;
(g) Trying to identify your defenses and having the courage to give them up.

Looking at the Big Five personality traits, this would seem to be Openness high, Conscientiousness high, Extroversion not very high, Agreeableness moderate (between grumpy and being a doormat), and Neuroticism not very high.

AM seemed to think that one has to succeed at each level before moving on to the next level, and that's gotten a lot of criticism. But IMO his hierarchy is a good way of sorting out the things that we desire.

I think everyone needs the basic needs (levels 1 and 2) in order to have a shot at achieving self-actualization. I think 3 and 4 could be compensated for.

I've always agreed with his analysis for the most part.

If you look closely at examples of different people you can see this play out. And I don't even know that it's as much psychological as it is an order of priorities. At a purely human level the categories read as what's most important to us, from greatest to least. First we need to be able to be survive, then hopefully we can find safety, only then can we really focus on love and esteem. Self-actualization, creativity, higher purpose only occurs when pretty much everything else is already going right and we have time to kick back and look around.

Ironically, I think in some Western societies the first three or four levels are now so easily met, that people overstate the importance of self-actualization. Those doing visual art, music, writing, poetry get cognitive dissonance that nobody cares about their work, while 50% of the population is barely making ends meet. That you even get to be creative should be a gift in itself.

I think you have to separate actual needs from things that are merely good but not needed.

You need food.

It is good to learn a language. But you do not need one. You are just a lot better off with one.

You are better off if you have some creativity, something everybody has to a degree, and can problem solve on your own too.

I think everyone needs the basic needs (levels 1 and 2) in order to have a shot at achieving self-actualization. I think 3 and 4 could be compensated for.

Sort of agree, although I think the deepest and most stable self-esteem comes with "self-actualization"
Esteem derived from praise by others is rather shallow.

Also, I do think that humans are so inherently social animals that you need at least one really close honest relationship with someone to actually know yourself.

I also like the second version better that includes cognitive and aesthetic needs. You need accurate knowledge of the world and humans in general in order to know yourself. And I think that taking pleasure in simple sensory experiences is a defining part of being "enlightened".

The former college basketball coach, Jim Valvano got it about right in his ESPY speech as he was dying of cancer. He said, "Three things you should do everyday to have a full life is to laugh, think, and be moved to tears."

Cute. Though WiFi is likely an extension of physiological needs.

Lawrence Kohlberg's stages of moral development is a theory that is similar to Abraham Maslow's stages.
  1. Pre-Conventional
    • 1. Obedience and punishment orientation
    • 2. Self-interest orientation
  2. Conventional
    • 3. Interpersonal accord and conformity
    • 4. Authority and social-order maintaining orientation
  3. Post-Conventional
    • 5. Social contract orientation
    • 6. Universal ethical principles

In my efforts to uncover details of the enneagram and the like, I found some references to Clare W. Graves's Spiral Dynamics (CWG is male):
 Clare W. Graves
Spiral Dynamics: Use this Values Model for Psychological Development
Spiral Dynamics by Clare W. Graves, a development tool | ToolsHero
Personality Tools: The Graves Model, aka "Spiral Dynamics" — Personality Type and Personal Growth | Personality Hacker
8 Things You Need to Know about the Graves Model (or Spiral Dynamics theory)

BeigeInstinctiveSurvivalReactive/Survival
PurpleMagicalSecurityTribal
RedImpulsiveEnergy & powerEgocentric/Warlord
BlueRule/RoleOrderCivilization/Absolutist
OrangeAchieverSuccessAchievement/Materialist
GreenSensitiveCommunityPersonalistic/Ecological
YellowIntegralSynergyFlex-Flow/Systemic
Turquoise
HolisticHolistic life supportHolistic

Graves Comparison Map | Keith E Rice's Integrated SocioPsychology Blog & Pages compares several theories of psychological development: CWG Spiral Dynamics, Abraham Maslow's stages, and Lawrence Kohlberg's stages.

The latter two sets of stages are sometimes extended with a transcendent or cosmic stage -- that would fit CWG's holistic stage.

Back
Top Bottom