• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

After Year Of Atheism, Former Pastor: 'I Don't Think God Exists'

I do. Hence "probably"- I allow for some chance of it happening, however improbable.I'm not saying it's impossible.
It was a metajoke about questioning your belief that you should question your beliefs. Should you question your belief that questioning your beliefs is something you should normally do?

Do you ever question your beliefs about the non-consciousness of spacetime or matter? Whatever happened to Smullyanesque? He was such a dick, fucking shame that he's gone.

He's smullyanesqueing elsewhere probably.

So you're a member of a "secret" society that welcomes members who are willing to fleece believers?

That's one way of looking at it if you don't account for the fact that the most common reason for which these folks join the society is because their personal integrity is at odds with continuing the facade. Most of these people have spouses and children depending on their income for their very subsistence. Summarily quitting their job just because it has gotten uncomfortable for them to do it would be entirely selfish. It's a tormenting conflict and I personally find your flippant characterization of the very real emotional turmoil these people endure quite offensive.

The Clergy Project provides assistance to such people, helping them find the resources, training and support to transition gracefully out of a livelihood their personal sense of integrity deems inappropriate. Most of them, like I did, got into the profession out of a deep commitment to do what was right.

Not every clergy member who becomes skeptical joins this group. Truth be known there are probably lots of clergy out there who never believed any of the BS they were taught in Sunday School. But of those who entered the profession as believers I would dare say there are some who grew skeptical and decided to continue "fleecing" and are not at all bothered by guilt. At that point it can become very similar to being a politician. Or a shady used car salesman.

I can understand a need for an origination like that. One does go from being a clergy person to being completely convinced God doesn't exist in one day.

I think members of the clergy would be the most skeptical among us as they have to deal with not only the doctrine but its believers as well.

Back
Top Bottom