• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alcohol in pill form. Any thoughts?

Take it with a shot of tequila

27sok6.jpg

I'm guessing since the article is from 7 years ago that it didn't catch on?

aa

Take it with a shot of tequila

View attachment 31066

I'm guessing since the article is from 7 years ago that it didn't catch on?

aa

Crap I didn't notice the date of the article.

D'oh!

Valium, other trancs, are pleasant, but it's not the same thing, not even similar as far as I have noticed. And yes, I have been on meds while also abstaining from alcohol and other drugs, sometimes for long periods, like years, but usually for about a year or at least several months. Nothing, apart from opiates (which I won't do anymore) can alleviate the immediate symptoms of anxiety as well as alcohol.

Yeah, I know that alcohol makes anxiety and depression much worse over the long haul. Been there, done that, as some country music song must have said at some time. Alcohol withdrawal is one of the worst things I've ever been through. I don't want to go through tranc withdrawal either, which by some accounts can be even more miserable and deadlier.

I've heard that some have attested to the efficacy of dextromethorphan with respect to anxiety and depression. But while I can also attest that this is, at least for me, true, who the hell wants to go down that road?

I would love to say that my sober years were great. But that would be a lie.

I need to stay alive, so I can work, so I can stay alive...rinse and repeat, for at least another eleven years.

I would like to have a chance to actually feel comfortable at some point during the rest of my sentence in this prison called the universe.

yay... :joy:

I'd rather have a good Beer or Scotch without the alcohol.

If this ended up being more affordable than liquid alcohol it'd likely end up with a market, but in my view the actual beverage is an important part of the experience. Having a well-crafted, carbonated beer over a meal, or a few Scotches to end the day is most of the fun.

I know I'm an outlier but I'd rather go for a nice whisky or beer without any of the associated effects. I enjoy alcohol-free beer, but most that are offered aren't great.

Valium, other trancs, are pleasant, but it's not the same thing, not even similar as far as I have noticed. And yes, I have been on meds while also abstaining from alcohol and other drugs, sometimes for long periods, like years, but usually for about a year or at least several months. Nothing, apart from opiates (which I won't do anymore) can alleviate the immediate symptoms of anxiety as well as alcohol.

Yeah, I know that alcohol makes anxiety and depression much worse over the long haul. Been there, done that, as some country music song must have said at some time. Alcohol withdrawal is one of the worst things I've ever been through. I don't want to go through tranc withdrawal either, which by some accounts can be even more miserable and deadlier.

Not even just in the long-haul, but in the near term too. In my experience even a few drinks increase my stress and anxiety over the ensuing few days. Lately I've become a Peppermint and Tulsi person - it's cheaper, it's a nice way to end the day, and has absolutely no physical effects.

It's interesting hearing you discuss how painful you find your life because I can see myself reflected in it. All things considered things are pretty good for me, but somehow the only thing I actually find fun anymore is being productive - and I don't have anything productive to do.

How do we learn to enjoy our lives again? Can we?

Not even just in the long-haul, but in the near term too. In my experience even a few drinks increase my stress and anxiety over the ensuing few days. Lately I've become a Peppermint and Tulsi person - it's cheaper, it's a nice way to end the day, and has absolutely no physical effects.

It's interesting hearing you discuss how painful you find your life because I can see myself reflected in it. All things considered things are pretty good for me, but somehow the only thing I actually find fun anymore is being productive - and I don't have anything productive to do.

How do we learn to enjoy our lives again? Can we?

Oh dear, I could write a post as long as War and Peace, les Miserables, and Atlas Shrugged all tied together about this...

Why don't you have fun? What with your new baby, your S.O. (sorry, I don't remember if you're married, or what), your good paying job? That would be plenty of fun enough for me, I know because I had it some twenty plus years ago.

I'm miserable because I've spiralled down since then, like one of those advertising balloon creatures you see on sidewalks trying to sell you something going all limp and deflated, and then someone's professionally scissored poodle comes and pees on it.

Read great books, write your poetry, enjoy your beautiful family! The whole point of The Odyssey is that a man is never happier than when he's at home, with time to enjoy who and what he loves. Just fight to hold onto it. I didn't fight hard enough, so I lost it.

Back
Top Bottom