• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alex Jones strangely claims insanity defense in civil lawsuit

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
non-practicing agnostic
InfoWars host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones said his false statements after tragic mass shootings were caused by a "psychosis."

Jones made the claim during a sworn deposition in the defamation case brought against him by family members of Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims.

The three-hour deposition was posted online Friday by the Texas law firm representing some of the Sandy Hook families, Kaster Lynch Farrar & Ball, LLP.

Jones, who is facing eight lawsuits regarding his comments on the Newtown, Connecticut shooting, is accused of perpetuating conspiracy theories that the tragedy was a staged event and that parents lied about their children's deaths.

The lawsuits "seek to hold Mr. Jones accountable for his vile assertions that the Sandy Hook parents were lying about what happened to their children," according to the firm's website.

In the three-hour disposition, Jones said that "the public doesn’t believe what they’re told anymore" because of corruption in the government and the "mainstream media."

"And I, myself, have almost had like a form of psychosis back in the past where I basically thought everything was staged, even though I’m now learning a lot of times things aren’t staged," Jones said.

He did not follow up his assertion with information on where he may have been evaluated or diagnosed with a psychosis.

Jones also said that the "trauma" of the media "lying so much" caused him to distrust everything.

"So long before these lawsuits I said that in the past I thought everything was a conspiracy and I would kind of get into that mass group-think of the communities that were out there saying that," Jones continued. "And so now I see that it’s more in the middle. All right? So that’s where I stand."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...chosis-caused-him-question-sandy-hook-n989091

So basically he's saying he honestly believed these conspiracies and was forced to continue to lie because he thought the people telling the truth were lying. And also, if he's crazy, aren't all the conservatives and libertarians who also are engaged in these conspiracy theory communities (i.e. infowars) also crazy?

Or is this just one big sick excuse?

This.

If you read what he actually said, it's very clear that he's trying to straddle the fence. He wants to be found not guilty, but of course isn't, so it's all I guess it's kinda' sorta' like a psychosis or something because of all the fake liberal news made me kinda' sorta' crazy and shit, but, not really, because it's also all true and my fanatics all know I'm lying just to get off the liberal TDS hook, so can I go now?

This country needs an enema.

"Almost had like a form of psychosis"

So, he didn't have a psychosis. He was almost there, but not quite.

Likewise, I almost was run over by a car this morning. So I get to collect on my life insurance, right?

If he really is psychotic, I would think he would lose a lot of following listening base. But I have heard he has high ratings.

So he wants to get off the hook by using the insanity defense. But that is still a reason for getting him out of the way. If he cannot help being dangerous to others, then he should be quarantined, like a mad dog.

InfoWars host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones said his false statements after tragic mass shootings were caused by a "psychosis."

Jones made the claim during a sworn deposition in the defamation case brought against him by family members of Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims.

The three-hour deposition was posted online Friday by the Texas law firm representing some of the Sandy Hook families, Kaster Lynch Farrar & Ball, LLP.

Jones, who is facing eight lawsuits regarding his comments on the Newtown, Connecticut shooting, is accused of perpetuating conspiracy theories that the tragedy was a staged event and that parents lied about their children's deaths.

The lawsuits "seek to hold Mr. Jones accountable for his vile assertions that the Sandy Hook parents were lying about what happened to their children," according to the firm's website.

In the three-hour disposition, Jones said that "the public doesn’t believe what they’re told anymore" because of corruption in the government and the "mainstream media."

"And I, myself, have almost had like a form of psychosis back in the past where I basically thought everything was staged, even though I’m now learning a lot of times things aren’t staged," Jones said.

He did not follow up his assertion with information on where he may have been evaluated or diagnosed with a psychosis.

Jones also said that the "trauma" of the media "lying so much" caused him to distrust everything.

"So long before these lawsuits I said that in the past I thought everything was a conspiracy and I would kind of get into that mass group-think of the communities that were out there saying that," Jones continued. "And so now I see that it’s more in the middle. All right? So that’s where I stand."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...chosis-caused-him-question-sandy-hook-n989091

So basically he's saying he honestly believed these conspiracies and was forced to continue to lie because he thought the people telling the truth were lying. And also, if he's crazy, aren't all the conservatives and libertarians who also are engaged in these conspiracy theory communities (i.e. infowars) also crazy?

I'll take the "one big sick excuse" option, and add "he's also a piece of human trash" sub-option.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Forget all the words like insanity and psychosis. What he's really saying is that he's innocent and blameless because he really believed this shit. And the reason he really believed this shit is because he really believed it. So now please let me go because I'm innocent.

Holy shit fuck! If I'm a juror or a judge I don't think I'm moved by this testimony.

Forget all the words like insanity and psychosis. What he's really saying is that he's innocent and blameless because he really believed this shit. And the reason he really believed this shit is because he really believed it. So now please let me go because I'm innocent.

Actually, it's far more insidious than that:

Jones blamed his mental state on “the trauma of the media and the corporations lying so much, then everything begins — you don’t trust anything anymore, kind of like a child whose parents lie to them over and over again, well, pretty soon they don’t know what reality is.”

He's not concocting a defense; he's using this platform to affirm the Trump gaslighting strategy while at the same time providing every nazi deplorable with both an excuse for their own terrorism and tacit encouragement to commit more of it.

He's saying it's "Liberal Establishment PTSD" that is causing him to go crazy, which necessarily means that the only way to cure him (and by extension Trump's deplorables) is to do away with the media (aka, liberals) and the "corporations" (aka, anything that isn't Republican owned and operated by white people).

Iow, liberals are evil. Trust no one. You're being lied to over and over and over. Your paranoia is justified. They're brainwashing you. Your delusional beliefs are not delusional. Only I know the truth and the truth is that they are in fact coming for you--violently--so you'd better act against them in kind ("them" being the media and the liberal-run corporations).

Further proof:

“So long before these lawsuits I said that in the past I thought everything was a conspiracy, and I would kind of get into that mass group think of the communities that were out there saying that,” Jones said. “And so now I see that it’s more in the middle. All right? So that’s where I stand.”

Iow, it's still all a conspiracy. "More in the middle" of what? A false claim? There is no middle of a false claim. Which means he's just re-affirmed the claim is real.

He double-downs on it even when asked directly:

But, even as he said he has come to believe over the years that the Sandy Hook shootings were real, he continued in the deposition to voice conspiratorial suspicions that the whole truth about what happened remained hidden.

“I think we’ve agreed before that Sandy Hook was real. It was not staged. It was not phony. You were wrong about that,” Bankston said.

“Well, I want to be clear,” Jones replied. “I believe children died. I believe there was a mass shooting. I still think that there was a man in the woods in camo ... and just a lot of experts I’ve talked to, including retired FBI agents and other people and people high up in the Central Intelligence Agency, have told me that there is a cover-up in Sandy Hook.”

And again:

Asked toward the end of the deposition whether “people should be accountable for the people they hurt,” Jones replied that “sometimes people claim they’ve been hurt when they haven’t been. So you have to look at the agenda behind things. You have to balance things about why has the mainstream media lied so much, why our government’s lied so much, the fact that the public doesn’t believe what they’re told anymore, and are we going to criminalize questioning Jussie Smollett or WMDs or babies in incubators. And it really is the fact that we’ve allowed the government and institutions to become so corrupt that people have lost any compass of what’s real.”

Bankston asked Jones about the assertion by his lawyers at a pretrial hearing in his 2017 child custody case that in his on-air persona, Jones was a “performance artist.”

“So I want to ask you, I want to know,” Bankston asked. “When you were making these claims about Sandy Hook, were you being a journalist, or was this all performance art?”

“When I say things on air, I believe it,” Jones said.

He knows exactly what he's doing and it's far more dangerous than anyone is realizing imo.

Actually, it's far more insidious than that:

Jones blamed his mental state on “the trauma of the media and the corporations lying so much, then everything begins — you don’t trust anything anymore, kind of like a child whose parents lie to them over and over again, well, pretty soon they don’t know what reality is.”

He's not concocting a defense; he's using this platform to affirm the Trump gaslighting strategy while at the same time providing every nazi deplorable with both an excuse for their own terrorism and tacit encouragement to commit more of it.

He's saying it's "Liberal Establishment PTSD" that is causing him to go crazy, which necessarily means that the only way to cure him (and by extension Trump's deplorables) is to do away with the media (aka, liberals) and the "corporations" (aka, anything that isn't Republican owned and operated by white people).

Iow, liberals are evil. Trust no one. You're being lied to over and over and over. Your paranoia is justified. They're brainwashing you. Your delusional beliefs are not delusional. Only I know the truth and the truth is that they are in fact coming for you--violently--so you'd better act against them in kind ("them" being the media and the liberal-run corporations).

Yup.

And it's okay if you are wrong once in a while with your conspiracy theories because it's their fault. Reminiscent of the tree of liberty quotes...

I thought that conservatives believed in taking responsibility for their actions. But it looks like they consider the idea of doing so a stick to beat those that they dislike.

There is not a hint of taking responsibility for one's actions in Alex Jones's defense. There is not a hint of regret in his defense, not a hint of embarrassment, not a hint that he thinks that he ought not to have said what he said. Nothing about how he ought to have kept himself from making such claims. All I see in it is victimhood, something conservatives claim that one should not consider oneself. He claimed that the "liberal media" made him go nuts with its alleged lying.

If he really is psychotic, I would think he would lose a lot of following listening base. But I have heard he has high ratings.

I think the opposite. A good chunk of his listeners know he is crazy and that's why they listen to him. This may attract more such people.

I thought that conservatives believed in taking responsibility for their actions. But it looks like they consider the idea of doing so a stick to beat those that they dislike.

There is not a hint of taking responsibility for one's actions in Alex Jones's defense. There is not a hint of regret in his defense, not a hint of embarrassment, not a hint that he thinks that he ought not to have said what he said. Nothing about how he ought to have kept himself from making such claims. All I see in it is victimhood, something conservatives claim that one should not consider oneself. He claimed that the "liberal media" made him go nuts with its alleged lying.
Conservatives are always whining about being the victim.

Holy shit fuck! If I'm a juror or a judge I don't think I'm moved by this testimony.
"And I, myself, have almost had like a form of psychosis back in the past where I basically thought everything was staged, even though I’m now learning a lot of times things aren’t staged."

It is all the media's fault for making me think that Sandy Hook was fake. But I realize that somethings aren't fake... now. I'm so lucky to have had this epiphany right before a trial!

The devil made me do it...?
No, the devil makes the media lie, and psychosis makes Jones think the media lies all the time.

No wait... if it is a psychosis, then the media isn't lying? Therefore the devil makes Jones think he has a psychosis about fake attacks being reported by the media?

I think the opposite. A good chunk of his listeners know he is crazy and that's why they listen to him. This may attract more such people.

My favorite part of the Private Parts movie about Howard Stern... Upon surprisingly getting the highest ratings for DJs, viewers that rated him highly said what kept them listening was that they, "wanted to hear what he would say next". Regarding those that disapproved of him, they kept listening because they, "wanted to hear what he would say next".

Back
Top Bottom