• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Allegations of voter fraud: Detroit lawsuit filed.

Patooka

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
aaa
Huh. Giuliani was right.

US President Donald Trump is being sued by Detroit voters who say he is "openly seeking to disenfranchise black voters".

On Friday (local time), a group of black voters and a voting rights organisation filed a lawsuit in federal court accusing Mr Trump and his campaign of breaching the 1965 Voting Rights Act by falsely claiming voter fraud, and trying to overturn the results in Michigan and other states by pressing officials not to count or certify votes or to install pro-Trump electors.

Call me skeptical, but I don't think this will get the same level of attention as Rudy oozing Just for Men and blaming Hugo Chavez. Maybe it should. Or maybe it's tit for tat. A copy of the lawsuit can be found here. Although I'm a bit surprised there aren't more examples of this hitting the courts. I guess my prediction on voter suppression during the election was utterly wrong.

Notice that black people are using the courts while white people flood the capital armed to the teeth.

I'm sure this frivolous law suit will join the heap of the others that have been thrown out.

I heard that Trump plans on asking SCOTUS to take some of the cases that have been thrown out. I have a feeling even SCOTUS will deny him any leverage regarding his phony claims.

Even some Trump appointed judges are dismayed by his claims. He seems to think that whey he appoints a judge, that means the judge will be his loyal sycophant. :rolleyes:

I'm sure this frivolous law suit will join the heap of the others that have been thrown out.

I heard that Trump plans on asking SCOTUS to take some of the cases that have been thrown out. I have a feeling even SCOTUS will deny him any leverage regarding his phony claims.

Even some Trump appointed judges are dismayed by his claims. He seems to think that whey he appoints a judge, that means the judge will be his loyal sycophant. :rolleyes:

Why do you consider this lawsuit to be frivolous?

Because taking it up would anger Trump. He's still President and Republicans need the Senate. And they might want to go after the black people later, so best not to set out any precedents for repercussions from doing that. .

Because taking it up would anger Trump. He's still President and Republicans need the Senate. And they might want to go after the black people later, so best not to set out any precedents for repercussions from doing that. .

So? This is a lawsuit against Trump and his campaign.

I don’t think the other respondents understand who’s suing whom.

It is frivolous. The Trump campaign has no control over the election. But it does have a right to challenge results and request delays, regardless if it prevails or not.

I'm simply surmising why it might be frivolous in the eyes of the Trump Junta.
An if there is one thing that Trump should be expert on by now, it's filing frivolous lawsuits to undermine faith in American elections.
In the case of Trump's frivolity, it's not about winning, it's just about sowing suspicions in the minds of the Trump rubes. Such suspicion can be monetized even after Trump is booted. He only has to get a lot of his morons riled up about having won the election that he lost by a landslide. A tall order, but credit where credit is due - he seems to have about 22% of the entire electorate already believing it. I guess Hitler was right about the size of a lie. This one's a whopper.

But the suit against Trump is not trying to make anyone money (another reason Trump would consider it frivolous), it's about calling attention to his blatant racism. So again ... they don't have to win.

Please, please, don't let this become a new Republican ritual. Election years were endless before this. Now there has to be an epilogue?
Fred Mertz: We'll sue you!!
Ricky: Well, we'll see who's gonna sue who!!
Lucy: Yeah!! We'll sue who's gonna see -- (makes exasperated face)
(from The Courtroom, season 2)

Back
Top Bottom