• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Amazing political game

So is the box art an intentional homage to The Last Supper or am I just seeing things?

I thought it was incredibly obvious. But Judas has an m16 instead.

Folks,

Agreed. It is obvious. I'm looking forward to all kinds of religious symbolism and Easter eggs throughout the game, adding to the richness of a fps experience. :)

A.

I am actually surprised we haven't seen a film about a radical Christian terrorist organization in the US, modeled after Isis and using all the same talking points we see about Islamism.

"Why won't you call them what they are? Christian terrorists!"

"Not all Christians... It is just a small fringe group"

"Christianity is a religion of peace"

"It isn't the Christian religion. Its what we've done to the rednecks!"

"This group bases their view on a coherent reading of the Bible"

"You are a Christianophobe!"

Donald Trump has never used the phrase "radical Christian terrorist" and this pretty much makes him the founder of organizations such as this.

Hi,

The international (France based) software developer Ubisoft has a new shooter game coming out, in which the target for the player is to hunt down and kill American Christian Republicans!

The controversy is already around the web, unsurprisingly. An amusing feature of the game is the ability to call out characters as racist and ‘hurt their feelings’ as part of gameplay. I kid you not.

http://uproxx.com/gaming/far-cry-5-white-genocide-controversy/

http://www.gq.com/story/far-cry-5-video-game-controversy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZzobujt344

A.

I think you're being disengenious. The game is about hunting down a violent cooky far right Christian extremists cult, using terror to control a community. It's not about just killing Republicans or any Christians. This is nothing new in the series. They've had a go at African extremist Christians. The series also features space aliens. The series only features the most extreme stereotypes of "bad people". Nobody is going to get their feelings hurt by this game.

You could just as well make the case that the game is about killing those abusing religion for their own ends. Or those abusing patriotism.

The fact that Christian groups is up in arms about this doesn't have to mean anything either. They often protest games they know nothing about. This is a tradition that goes back to the dawn of computer games, or even the dawn of popular culture. Christians often feel threatened by anything that's new and unfamiliar. Christian groups protesting a game just means that "somebody I know, said to a person that I've heard of, that his cousins room-mate was pretty sure that..."

That would suggest that Extremists can play this game to hunt extremists.

My countrymen have gotten their feelings hurt by someone saying 'white supremacists will die before changing their mind' and interpreted it as a personal death threat.
No, that guy was not saying that, and you know it. But anything to defend black supremacist types, right?
No, that's not what I know.
But it comes as no surprise that you simply must interpret any disagreement as a falsehood.
It's your schtick.

So would you all support this game if it was about killing ecoterrorists, or radical #BLM activists or some other group the Left likes?

You are so predictable, seeing the black everywhere.

Just the continuing quest to claim people are hypocrites, which he can only do with his amazing army of straw men.

You have weird ideas of what passes as 'Support'. Or have you spent so much of your life in a drama-llama frenzy that you don't even recognize when you're using inappropriately dramatic and overly evocative language?
Call it "support" or not, my point was about the double standard. If it was left wing radicals being hunted in the game, we would have seen a lot more "inappropriately dramatic" response. Berkeley students would have probably rioted by now!

Nobody complained about 'hunting' marxist psychopaths in Bioshock 2. So game set match, BEYOOOOOTCH!

By the way? Again, your choice of word 'hunting' so as to imply that said right wing nutjobs are just innocent little lambs being slaughtered. Do you think we don't catch on to this shit? Stop being so disingenuous with your language.

Call it "support" or not, my point was about the double standard. If it was left wing radicals being hunted in the game, we would have seen a lot more "inappropriately dramatic" response. Berkeley students would have probably rioted by now!

Nobody complained about 'hunting' marxist psychopaths in Bioshock 2. So game set match, BEYOOOOOTCH!

By the way? Again, your choice of word 'hunting' so as to imply that said right wing nutjobs are just innocent little lambs being slaughtered. Do you think we don't catch on to this shit? Stop being so disingenuous with your language.

Folks,

I've been hunting racists on the interweb for many a year. It's enjoyable to see the twists and turns in their evasions. A computer game will be tamer, due to the closed architecture, but at least we can see them, virtually.

All the Bioshocks have been good. Comforting moral compass. :)

A.

You have weird ideas of what passes as 'Support'. Or have you spent so much of your life in a drama-llama frenzy that you don't even recognize when you're using inappropriately dramatic and overly evocative language?

Left wing radicals like the villains in the Call of Duty games fighting against Chinese Reds and Russian Reds? How many games have these archetypes as villains? Maybe you mean something more like the eco-terrorists that the protagonists in the original Rainbow Six game were hunting down?

Frankly, extremists of almost any ideology have the potential to be extremely dangerous. It's ridiculous that Right-wing Christians are objecting to this game given that the majority of non- 9-11 terrorism in the US has been from this sort of archetypical person.

Right-wing Christian extremists such as many who are living in the US (RIGHT NOW) can be dangerous! OMG!

So even though the premise is actually plausible in the real world it is worth considering that the entire Far Cry universe is entirely fictional. Note that the flag depicted in the cover art isn't even a US flag. I would hope that Christians might figure out that fiction is entertainment and not dogma. (Though we all know how much trouble Christians have distinguishing fiction from reality.)

Apparently right-wing non-theists can't figure that out either.

So even though the premise is actually plausible in the real world it is worth considering that the entire Far Cry universe is entirely fictional. Note that the flag depicted in the cover art isn't even a US flag. I would hope that Christians might figure out that fiction is entertainment and not dogma. (Though we all know how much trouble Christians have distinguishing fiction from reality.)

zorq,

True. It would be comforting to believe that the alt-right universe was fictional. :sadyes:

A.

It's ridiculous that Right-wing Christians are objecting to this game given that the majority of non- 9-11 terrorism in the US has been from this sort of archetypical person.

That's an unnecessarily long sentence. You could have just said "right-wing Christians are ridiculous". They're a dependable source of idiot statements on all topics.

It's just not true. The SWAT/Rainbow six series feature plenty of missions to take down eco-terrorists, anarchists and what not. It's the only one I can think of for some reasons. Communist/left wing/eco-terrorists is so common in games as villains it's a trope.

The only reason I think Berkely students aren't rioting about it is because they're playing the games and like them.

Back
Top Bottom