• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

America First, Protect and Preserve Our Constitution.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
For most of my life, I've heard Republicans go on and on about how important the constitution is. We need to follow the constitution. The constitution is sacred. I've seen the "America First, Protect and Preserve our Constitution" bumper sticker so many times right next to a "Trump/Pence" sticker on the car right in from of me!

Okay fine. The 1868 Amendment to the Constitution states that no one can serve in Congress "who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress … to support the constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same”. That's going to disqualify some republican folks from running in the future.

And it certainly applies to North Carolina's Madison Cawthorn. A group in North Carolina is officially trying to stop Cawthorn from running again citing his involvement in the Jan 6 attack on the capital. Cawthorn questioned the outcome of the presidential election during the “Save America Rally” before the Capitol riot later that day. At the rally, Cawthorn made baseless claims that the election had been stolen from Donald Trump, and has been accused of firing up the crowd, many of whom went on to storm the Capitol. The written challenge says the events on 6 January “amounted to an insurrection”, and that Cawthorn’s speech at the rally supporting Trump, his other comments, and information in published reports, provide a “reasonable suspicion or belief” that he helped facilitate the insurrection and is thus disqualified. “Challengers have reasonable suspicion that Representative Cawthorn was involved in efforts to intimidate Congress and the Vice-President into rejecting valid electoral votes and subvert the essential constitutional function of an orderly and peaceful transition of power,” the complaint read.

What does the FBI (or the Department of Justice) classify the event on January 6th, 2021 as? I see people being charged for conspiracy, assault, and other things but I haven't seen insurrection or rebellion on any official documents. And what did Madison Cawthorn actually do? If it's anything less than what Trump is perceived (rightfully so) to have done this will go absolutely nowhere.

What does the FBI (or the Department of Justice) classify the event on January 6th, 2021 as? I see people being charged for conspiracy, assault, and other things but I haven't seen insurrection or rebellion on any official documents. And what did Madison Cawthorn actually do? If it's anything less than what Trump is perceived (rightfully so) to have done this will go absolutely nowhere.
Good point. I'll do more research and get back to you. You might be right. However, if the republicans can claim that regulating a crazy person from owning a bazooka violates the 2nd amendment; I'm going to argue that Madison violated the constitution by trying to prevent the certification of the electoral college. There's nothing in the constitution talking about bazookas; but there is plenty that very carefully details succession and the electoral college.

Back
Top Bottom