• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Amusement Parks?

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I don't have much theme park cred. I hate roller coasters, but enjoy other types of rides, and do like water slides. I thought a thread on Theme Parks would be warranted however, to help give people an opportunity to shill for their favorite park. ;)

I've been to Cedar Point (back in the very late 80s when the Magnum XL debut'd) in Sandusky, Ohio, Geauga Lakes then Six Flags then some water park (so three times overall at the site) in Aurora, Ohio (which is now closed for good), and Waldameer a couple times in Erie, Pa.

Cedar Point, despite not me being on site in decades, is clearly the best amusement park in the US and probably the world. They are generally the park that other parks copy regarding rides. Just seeing it from across in Sandusky gives a quick conclusion that the place is packed with steel monsters It is pricey and you pay for admission regardless if you like to ride or not. They have a line cutting pass, which is incredibly expensive as well, but when in France... There is a water park along side as well, but requires more money.

Waldameer is very cool. Admission to the Amusement side is free, while the Waterpark requires a reasonable fee. A joint pass is about $40. The rides are generally quaint and old school. There are three coasters, two wood ones and a steel mouse. Run of the mill rides otherwise. The park's newest stuff is the water related attractions, which is very new (last few years) and they are expanding again next year. They have an incredible array for slides for small children, bigger children, teens, and adults, which is pretty impressive. With the waterpark, I'd say the place overall is a great deal. And if you just want to ride a few coaster rides, you can do that by paying by ride (no admission cost), which keeps costs reasonable. If you just like the dry side of things, the park is limited in options.

Geauga Lake was a great place (quite like Waldameer in old school flavor), as was the water park it (well actually that might have been Sea World) turned into. Sadly, none of it remains.

Cleveland has a small Memphis Kiddie Park which is a great place for the 4 to 7 year olds. It is small, but compact, and has the nation's oldest operating coaster (which is very short). I think there is something like 10 or so rides and mini-golf. They say there is an arcade, but they are reminiscing about what used to be there. Prices are reasonable and it is a place you can take the small one for a fun experience without putting out money for yourself.

For thrill-rides Cedar Point is the standard. I've only been once, ca 2003, but it was pretty incredible. IIRC, Millennium Force was the new guy back then. I still remember exactly how I felt when I rode it.

These days I'd take Disney World over Cedar Point, though. Entirely different experience, but one I'd prefer as a thirty-three year old (not really a thrill seeker anymore). My wife and I, and some friends went in early 2017 and I was skeptical going in, but loved it. Knocking spring training off of the bucket list was nice, too.

If you like water slides and you are near Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, they have great water parks. Noah's Ark is large and has a wide range of water rides for all ages and sizes. My kids loved the place when they were growing up. The place has a place for people to picnic, so you can even bring your own food and drink.

We stopped for gas across the street from there on the way to Northern Minnesota. It did look nice. Also have a Kalahari over there too, though that place is pricey.

Which reminds me...

Splash Lagoon - An indoor waterpark in Erie, PA. This place is nice and connected to three hotels. You can get a good deal here and there for admission with a room. It isn't huge, but adequate. The slides are pretty good, but my favorite one which was a slide into a large bowl you'd plop down at the bottom, I'd always slam my ankle on the exit into the bowl, which made doing that ride (which always had a shorter line perhaps for this reason) not quite as doable. The second time we went there, the kiddie side was starting to wear down, but it appears they've done some upgrades since then. A good size wave pool as well. This place isn't extreme... being indoors and all, but it is fun, and when the price is right, a good deal.

I don't get the Kalahari. It is named after one of most desolate deserts in the world, and the one in Wisconsin Dells has an indoor water park.

I've never seen an amusement park ride that I wouldn't try and have yet to try one that I wouldn't ride again. The only exceptions are stupid or boring ones, like the wooden one at Kings Dominion in Virginia called The Grizzly, I think. It just knocks you around and offers no real thrills. But definitely not scary, just annoying.

We used to go to Kings Dominion in the summers when I was growing up, and about every other year we'd drive down to Florida to Disney World, which I loved. At eight years old, Space Mountain was the coolest, most fun thing I'd every experienced.

I have to say, roller coasters don't really do it for me any more, after this no roller coaster can compare.

I have been to only a few parks in the US. I've been to 3 different Six Flags, and they always have a good mix of rides and non-ride attractions as well. Disney land was pretty boring, but I haven't been to Disney World yet, and I've heard it's better (for adults). I am more into the go-kart/racing type rides these days, since they offer some level of competitiveness, even if it's just trying to beat my own lap times.

ISIS had an interesting amusement park concept in Iraq and Syria but Allah couldn't afford the payments...

I've never seen an amusement park ride that I wouldn't try and have yet to try one that I wouldn't ride again. The only exceptions are stupid or boring ones, like the wooden one at Kings Dominion in Virginia called The Grizzly, I think. It just knocks you around and offers no real thrills. But definitely not scary, just annoying.

We used to go to Kings Dominion in the summers when I was growing up, and about every other year we'd drive down to Florida to Disney World, which I loved. At eight years old, Space Mountain was the coolest, most fun thing I'd every experienced.

If you want to test your limits of ride-based fear (and just visit an great country), try the "Star Flyer" at Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. Basically, it's one of those "swing" rides where you sit in a simple swing type seat suspended by chain and it spins around. Except, this one goes over 40mph and rises you 260 feet into the air with all your arms and legs just dangling in space, and the chains holding you up seem no thicker that the tiny carnival version of the ride. You feel like you're gonna fall out or the chains will break and you go flying. It takes your breath away.

I've never been really scared on any coaster or other ride, but I wanted this one to end. My fear was heightened b/c I'm a big guy at 6'/3" and 250 lbs, so I kept thinking this thing wasn't built to handle my weight.

If you can get over the fear, it's an amazing view. Also, Tivoli is the 2nd oldest Amusement park in the world and has great gardens, streams, solid food and alcohol, and good rides for all ages.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-AgUL3cxio[/YOUTUBE]

Back
Top Bottom