• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Anatomy of a meme: leftist virtue signalling on social media

It's interesting how metaphor SEES "mad" in context to the teaching of a thing, and interprets it as "mad it happened" rather than the clear interpretation that everyone here except metaphor seems to understand which is "mad it was taught".
The plain words of the quote do not talk about being mad or bad or uncomfortable about the teaching of a thing.

I have already explained that your leftist coterie would have had no problem divining the True Meaning. Unsurprisingly, the True Meaning bears little relation to the plain meaning and the fault, of course, lies not with the plain meaning being idiotic, but with the ignorance of the unbelievers.

To me it's plain as day. Yes I edited my
But she did not say "mad." Or "uncomfortable," or "bad."
into
But she did not say that she herself felt "mad." Or "uncomfortable," or "bad." [edited for clarity]
But my original quote IN CONTEXT always had the meaning of the second.

Do you even understand that much? I literally feel like a nurse-maid spoon-feeding English usage to a 6-year old.

Once you understand that much — and demonstrate your understanding by phrasing your new-found understanding in your own words — then, if you're still confused, I'll explain why you are "taking the piss."

But my original quote IN CONTEXT always had the meaning of the second.
No, it didn't. And you know it didn't, because you had to stealth an edit in.

But: worse. You saw that, in post #10, I was referring to the girl in my hypothetical exchange, not the girl in the picture, and that I understood your complaint--that I had used 'sad' when the girl had said bad or mad or uncomfortable--to be about the word 'sad' not appearing in the Antiracist Childlike Empresses' quote.
Do you even understand that much? I literally feel like a nurse-maid spoon-feeding English usage to a 6-year old.
You made a mistake. You thought that the imagined conversation was about the girl in the meme. It wasn't. You then stealth edited your response when you saw there was a misunderstanding, but somehow still had the balls to pretend there was no misunderstanding.
Once you understand that much — and demonstrate your understanding by phrasing your new-found understanding in your own words — then, if you're still confused, I'll explain why you are "taking the piss."
I am not taking the piss. I can see that you are not, either. There has been a misunderstanding.

In post #9, you got the impression that my imagined conversation was about the girl in the meme (Antiracist Childlike Empress) feeling bad, mad, or uncomfortable from reading white atrocities. I don't know why you thought that, but you thought that. I can see how it might have been better for me to change the sex of the child in the imagined conversation, but I did not indicate the conversation was about the girl in the meme. I was illustrating how what the girl in the meme said was ridiculous and wicked.

At this point, I had no idea whatever that you thought I was talking about the personal feelings of the girl in the meme. I understood your objection to my imagined conversation to be because I used the word 'sad' (which the girl did not say) instead of one of 'bad', 'mad', or 'uncomfortable' (which she did). That's why I repeated the imagined exchange with the words substituted in.

At some point, even though it was clear I was not talking about the personal feelings of the girl in the meme and never had been, you edited the exchange, and you are still treating my responses as if I am taking the piss.

In short: I never claimed the girl in the meme felt bad, mad or uncomfortable reading about white atrocities. In fact, it would be strange for her to say she did feel bad, mad or uncomfortable, since she says the white people who feel that way want to commit atrocities, and she is a white person and I'm sure she doesn't want to come across as somebody who wants to commit atrocities. (Again, this is all with the proviso that I don't think the girl in the meme said what is attributed to her anyway).

Now, I think that any 9 year old (including the real one in the meme) that does not feel bad, mad or uncomfortable while reading about atrocities is probably a little sociopath (or hasn't really understood what they're reading).

I give no special consideration to what children say and especially when they are carrying signs at protests, but see nothing obviously fake about this, especially if her mother expresses those kind of ideas around her, which seems likely.
^^^^ This. ^^^^ An awful lot of left-wingers make en masse accusations like that one on a regular basis against their political opponents, and small children are a species of parrot.
Using children to make a point is not restricted to one end of the political spectrum.
Nobody said it is; the fact that it isn't doesn't affect my point* at all; and aren't you the same guy who was just criticizing others for whataboutism?
It does affect your point, if you actually thought about it. Correcting the record is not "whataboutism" if you actually thought about it.
(* My point was that it's perfectly plausible that the kid really said what's attributed to her, but if so she was probably just repeating what she heard the adults** around her saying.)
If that was your point, there was no need to bring up the political leaning of the anyone. Yet you did. So, either your point was that only the left did it or you were taking a swipe at "the left". Since gratuitous swipes are beneath you, I was simply trying to be helpful and make the record more accurate.

Virtue signaling is all over the place. The other day, I saw a person use a turn signal to turn left, just to project to the public that they care about safe driving. Damn virtue signalers!

Hello I am Joe Conservative. You voters may ask where I stand on the issues. May I say I support motherhood, love good old American apple pie, and please note the flag I am waving. God bless our troops. God bless America. God bless you. Amerca is perfect and wonderful.

Vote for me.

Hello I am Joe Progressive. Day care will be free. College will be free. We will create a paradise where no one is offended or put off. America is evil and progressiveness will make it perfect for you. I like apple pie but not the American kind. We need a diversity in apple pie.

Vote for me.

On que, Biden closed his speech yesterday invoking god's blessing.

An awful lot of left-wingers make en masse accusations like that one on a regular basis against their political opponents, and small children are a species of parrot.
Using children to make a point is not restricted to one end of the political spectrum.
Nobody said it is; the fact that it isn't doesn't affect my point* at all; and aren't you the same guy who was just criticizing others for whataboutism?
It does affect your point, if you actually thought about it. Correcting the record is not "whataboutism" if you actually thought about it.
Ah, so "actually" means "the same way I do" in laughingdogese. Good to know, thanks.

(* My point was that it's perfectly plausible that the kid really said what's attributed to her, but if so she was probably just repeating what she heard the adults** around her saying.)
If that was your point, there was no need to bring up the political leaning of the anyone. Yet you did. So, either your point was that only the left did it or you were taking a swipe at "the left". Since gratuitous swipes are beneath you, I was simply trying to be helpful and make the record more accurate.
Sorry, I was simply identifying the source of the specific meme the girl appears to have been parroting; if she were being lionized for a mindless and trite right-wing slur against somebody right-wingers are hostile to I'd have said right-wingers. But you're right; what I should have said is that an awful lot of people who lump others into oppressor groups on the basis of race and unbelief make en masse accusations like that one on a regular basis against their political opponents. My bad.

Hmm. "People who lump others into oppressor groups on the basis of race and unbelief". I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Lumb-wingers? Limpund-wingers? Loofud-wingers?

An awful lot of left-wingers make en masse accusations like that one on a regular basis against their political opponents, and small children are a species of parrot.
Ah, so "actually" means "the same way I do" in laughingdogese. Good to know, thanks.

Sorry, I was simply identifying the source of the specific meme the girl appears to have been parroting; if she were being lionized for a mindless and trite right-wing slur against somebody right-wingers are hostile to I'd have said right-wingers. But you're right; what I should have said is that an awful lot of people who lump others into oppressor groups on the basis of race and unbelief make en masse accusations like that one on a regular basis against their political opponents. My bad.

Hmm. "People who lump others into oppressor groups on the basis of race and unbelief". I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Lumb-wingers? Limpund-wingers? Loofud-wingers?
I really need a super duper irony meter. Where did you get yours?

(*** It's a juvenile sentiment, but not a nine-year-old's sentiment -- more like a sentiment from the mentality of a fifteen-year-old.)
Meh, my nine years olds would definitely say something like that. I recall when my son was 4 and declared in a store, “Mama, I am inclined to buy this toy,” causing the other moms to smile. Or when my daughter observed at the age of 8, “Mama, I notice that all of the toys in the [grocery store] aisle are priced below the impulse purchase limit. Do you think that’s deliberate?” Causing the man in the aisle to laugh right out loud. (They had a $3 limit on spending their own money impulsively).

This definitely within the nine-yo realm.

(*** It's a juvenile sentiment, but not a nine-year-old's sentiment -- more like a sentiment from the mentality of a fifteen-year-old.)
Meh, my nine years olds would definitely say something like that. I recall when my son was 4 and declared in a store, “Mama, I am inclined to buy this toy,” causing the other moms to smile. Or when my daughter observed at the age of 8, “Mama, I notice that all of the toys in the [grocery store] aisle are priced below the impulse purchase limit. Do you think that’s deliberate?” Causing the man in the aisle to laugh right out loud. (They had a $3 limit on spending their own money impulsively).

You have awesome kids! :notworthy:

When my kid was 5 she asked me and my husband how water came to be. We told her about atoms and subatomic particles and then described how two oxygen atoms and one hydrogen atom come together to make a water molecule, and how billions of water molecules together make a teeny tiny droplet, and billions of droplets make a raindrop, etc.

A week later she asked me how God pulled all his bits together. When I asked her what she meant she indicated she wanted to know how God created himself.

I can totally identify with a parent being proud and delighted to hear their child express some kind of deeper insight than one might expect from a kid.

My MIL said that she liked teaching third grade (9 year olds) because that is when they really start thinking for themselves and have their own ideas. My daughter (9 yo) is definitely like that. Thinking, plotting, wondering how I found out about what she had plotted.

Back
Top Bottom