• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And Another GOP Talking Point Dies

Colonel Sanders

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/16/middleeast/iran-jason-rezaian-prisoners-freed/

These people were being held in Iran. Republicans were practically shitting themselves over this fact when the recent deal with Iran was made--you know, the one to begin normalization with them. The one in which a gaggle of idiot Republican senators took the massive shit they'd laid and smeared it on the Constitution by sending a letter to Iranian leadership stating they planned on not honoring the deal as soon as possible.

Besides the fear of developing peaceful relations with a longtime enemy rather than finding a way to invade them, many of their shrieks and cries concerned the fact that Iran held some Americans. I don't really know why Iran arrested them, but I do know that I wouldn't go to Iran and knowingly violate their laws and then expect GI Joe to come and bail me out. I don't find it all that dissimilar to the idiots who go dropping Bibles around North Korea and then suddenly find themselves as permanent guests of the NK government.

So will Obama get any credit for this? Will the deal get any credit?

The recent taking of American sailors was handled quickly and deftly. No one died. No bombs were dropped. No threats of hellfire reigned down from a righteous god were exchanged. In ten days the problem was solved. And American conservatives hate it.

But why? Why, when something doesn't escalate to war are they so disappointed? Why, when something works out for the obvious good, do they get so angry? I'm primarily thinking of the people rather than the politicians here. So what's so hard to accept about a good thing?

These people were being held in Iran. Republicans were practically shitting themselves over this fact when the recent deal with Iran was made--you know, the one to begin normalization with them. The one in which a gaggle of idiot Republican senators took the massive shit they'd laid and smeared it on the Constitution by sending a letter to Iranian leadership stating they planned on not honoring the deal as soon as possible.

Besides the fear of developing peaceful relations with a longtime enemy rather than finding a way to invade them, many of their shrieks and cries concerned the fact that Iran held some Americans. I don't really know why Iran arrested them, but I do know that I wouldn't go to Iran and knowingly violate their laws and then expect GI Joe to come and bail me out. I don't find it all that dissimilar to the idiots who go dropping Bibles around North Korea and then suddenly find themselves as permanent guests of the NK government.

The recent taking of American sailors was handled quickly and deftly. No one died. No bombs were dropped. No threats of hellfire reigned down from a righteous god were exchanged. In ten days the problem was solved. And American conservatives hate it.

But why? Why, when something doesn't escalate to war are they so disappointed? Why, when something works out for the obvious good, do they get so angry? I'm primarily thinking of the people rather than the politicians here. So what's so hard to accept about a good thing?

Crap, this really hurts the theory that there is no difference between democratic foreign policy and republican! To answer your question, Obama will get no credit.

GOP talking points never die.

Remember, even though the US economy has been recovering steadily for years, the Republicans are still repeating the talking point that the economy is terrible.

Illegal immigration from Mexico is a net zero now for years, with record number of deportations happening, yet the GOP keeps repeating the talking point that we're being overrun by Mexicans.

The Iran deal put the brakes on what was left of Tehran's nuclear ambitions, but the GOP talking point was literally the exact opposite: "OMG Obama has handed Iran the Bomb!"

This is a political outfit that claims discrimination as "religious liberty" and thinks the entire scientific community is part of a sinister conspiracy to undermine their party.

My guess is they've already got the "Obama surrenders to the Ayatollah" talking point in the works.

GOP talking points never die.

Remember, even though the US economy has been recovering steadily for years, the Republicans are still repeating the talking point that the economy is terrible.

Illegal immigration from Mexico is a net zero now for years, with record number of deportations happening, yet the GOP keeps repeating the talking point that we're being overrun by Mexicans.

The Iran deal put the brakes on what was left of Tehran's nuclear ambitions, but the GOP talking point was literally the exact opposite: "OMG Obama has handed Iran the Bomb!"

This is a political outfit that claims discrimination as "religious liberty" and thinks the entire scientific community is part of a sinister conspiracy to undermine their party.

My guess is they've already got the "Obama surrenders to the Ayatollah" talking point in the works.

Fox 'analysts' are already pumping the idea that this was an act by Iran to insure that they do indeed get the $150 billion that the Obama nuclear deal offers them. So its an action that really isn't good for America.

What a rush to breathless and giddy faith-based wagering at the Obama administration's crap table - you might take a break and count your credibility money before squandering the rest of it.

First, you forgot to ask the most basic question: "What did it cost us this time"? I know, I know, it is such a downer to ask rude questions but it must be asked...don't you think?

Second, do you actually think this was done out of the goodness of the heart of Muslim theological fascism? According to Iran its a prisoner swap, initial reports being that the US has to free six or seven of its actual wrong-doers. In fact, according to fars the US has freed seven: Nader Modanlou, Bahram Mechanic, Khosrow Afqahi, Arash Ghahreman, Touraj Faridi, Nima Golestaneh and Ali Sabounchi. These seven have been convicted of various schemes to aid Iran, including money laundering, shipping sensitive electronics to Iran, and providing illegal satellite services.

Nima Golestaneh in particular, was convicted of attempting to hack into the network of a Vermont aerodynamics company and attempting to steal aerodynamic software and data.

The Iranian media also says the US agreed to drop another fourteen Iranians from an INTERPOL watch list - isn't this sweet?

Is this a great deal or what? Several US national innocents traded for the release of a bunch of guilty Iranians. However, what else might one expect from the awesome negotiators of the (supposedly) most powerful nation on earth?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/16/iran-releases-washington-post-journalist-jason-rezaian
http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13941026001314

Yep no GOP talking points here :)rolleyes:)

Is this a great deal or what? Several US national innocents traded for the release of a bunch of guilty Iranians.
Maybe. You seem to have a clear cut assessment of guilt and innocence. Are there any Americans in Iran for nefarious reasons? My point is, your statement is naive.

Your point is that you believe Iran's courts and judicial system are credible - talk about naive.

Maybe. You seem to have a clear cut assessment of guilt and innocence. Are there any Americans in Iran for nefarious reasons? My point is, your statement is naive.

Your point is that you believe Iran's courts and judicial system are credible - talk about naive.
How do you feel about our friend, Saudi Arabia's court system? Or Indonesia's?

What a rush to breathless and giddy faith-based wagering at the Obama administration's crap table - you might take a break and count your credibility money before squandering the rest of it.

First, you forgot to ask the most basic question: "What did it cost us this time"? I know, I know, it is such a downer to ask rude questions but it must be asked...don't you think?

Second, do you actually think this was done out of the goodness of the heart of Muslim theological fascism? According to Iran its a prisoner swap, initial reports being that the US has to free six or seven of its actual wrong-doers. In fact, according to fars the US has freed seven: Nader Modanlou, Bahram Mechanic, Khosrow Afqahi, Arash Ghahreman, Touraj Faridi, Nima Golestaneh and Ali Sabounchi. These seven have been convicted of various schemes to aid Iran, including money laundering, shipping sensitive electronics to Iran, and providing illegal satellite services.

Nima Golestaneh in particular, was convicted of attempting to hack into the network of a Vermont aerodynamics company and attempting to steal aerodynamic software and data.

The Iranian media also says the US agreed to drop another fourteen Iranians from an INTERPOL watch list - isn't this sweet?

Is this a great deal or what? Several US national innocents traded for the release of a bunch of guilty Iranians. However, what else might one expect from the awesome negotiators of the (supposedly) most powerful nation on earth?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/16/iran-releases-washington-post-journalist-jason-rezaian

Looks like these guys were wrong-doers also--they cut through Iranian waters when they shouldn't have.

Or America's?

I mean these people we exchanged for our citizens were (for the most part) found guilty of some low-level sanctions violations, yet former Halliburton CEO Dick Cheney somehow managed to evade prison despite the fact that his company did more business with Iran than any of these "criminals" could ever hope to do.

:thinking:

- TV and credit cards implied I was naive to think that all those Americans in Iran prisons being released were innocent.
- I replied that to believe Iran's courts and judicial system used to imprison them are actually credible is far more naive.

Thank you for your contribution of an irrelevant question about "my feelings" over Saudi Arabia and Indonesia courts. There is nothing like a touch of Nice Squirrel non sequitur whimsy.

Looks like these guys were wrong-doers also--they cut through Iranian waters when they shouldn't have.

These guys? Iranian waters?

This trade has nothing to do with the Navy. This has to do with the long-term imprisonment of American civilian journalists (and others) such as Jason Rezaian, the Washington Post reporter held in Iran for nearly a year before being convicted last October for espionage and spreading propaganda. He was tried in a secret tribunal by that paragon of jurisprudence virtue, the Iranian revolutionary court. And being a secret trial, Rezaian's attorney has not been allowed to discuss proceedings.

No one else, other than his wife, was allowed to see him. It is not clear what sort of evidence Iran used to charge Rezaian but according to Rezaian’s brother, Ali, two pieces of evidence used against him were a visa application he had lodged for his Iranian wife in order to be able to travel to the US and a letter he sent to Barack Obama’s 2008 White House transition team offering help to improve bilateral relations between Iran and the US.

His employer, the Washington Post, vehemently denied the charges against him. The Post’s executive editor, Martin Baron, has condemned the trial as “the shameful acts of injustice” facing his reporter and has said “there is no justice in this system, not an ounce of it”.

While I am rarely surprised by the situational partisan cynicism at TFT, this is one of those occasions - I would have never thought that the the mere existence of a GOP talking point would obligate some GOP haters to endorse a theocratic oligarchy's religious (fake) court system.

Shame on some.

Back
Top Bottom