• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And (board) gamers here?

Worldtraveller

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I've been gaming since long before nerds were cool. I have a pretty extensive collection (~150 games), and spend a lot more time playing board games than I do computer games these days.

With kickstarter and similar crowdfunding schemes these days, we are living on the golden age of board gaming, IMO.

I'm going to a 2 day convention fri-sat. With any luck, I can find enough players to run at least one game of MegaCivilization. :D

These days I mostly play Race for the Galaxy and Splendor.

If anybody wishes Stratego was a much better game, Reiner Knizia crossed it with Cosmic Encounter and produced the excellent but obscure and unfortunately-named Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation.

theConfrontation.jpg

Yes, that's a four by four board, but you don't notice; it feels bigger. The game is grossly asymmetrical yet still somehow balanced. Combat is ingenious and intriguing.

I like Splendor a lot, and have purchased 3 copies now...all as gifts. :)

Not a huge fan of Race for the Galaxy, but I'll play it when it hits the table.

My collection: https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Wylann

I think that's mostly up to date. I've currently got 2 kickstarter projects that should deliver before the end of the year.

I love worker placement games, and I like games with a lot of negotiating/trading as well. I hadn't heard of that particular LotR game. It looks intriguing. Reading some reviews on BGG now.

That's a lot of games. Unexploded Cows, that's at least a good title.

I used to like board games until I got into IT. My job is literally solving little mini-puzzles, so in my down-time I prefer to not play games where I have to do similar.

This is why I like Crokinole so much. It's more physical, less mentally intensive.

Just found out two of my current co-workers are avid board gamers! Recently got my sister into Carcassonne and Catan. I like Imhotep, Mansions of Madness, Twilight Struggle..so many to mention!

We like Carcassonne. If you play it in public, like in airports or hospital waiting rooms, strangers ask what you're doing and then join in.

I used to, but being able to schedule long enough blocks of time these days is difficult.

I have to say, the internet has been a great resource to boost the hobby. Meetup.com in particular, is great for finding a local group or groups for when you're available. As much as I move, I always look at the local meetup groups for boardgaming and usually have no problem finding a gaming group or two.

I'm going to a game convention this weekend, and there's another one in march here. I may go to one of the bigger ones in Vegas or CA next year too.

Heh...yeah, sorta...
.really low level...my stoner friends and I play Risk fortnightly as a limp excuse to convene and consume copious quantities of ganga and engage in convivial reparte. We considered stepping up to a more complex vaersion, but trashed that when we found it interferred with the conviviality. It harshed our vibes.

Picked up another new game last week. It's been around for years, but the 2nd edition includes all the expansions and updated artwork. The artwork is the one part I'm not actually fond of, but it's tolerable.

Kingsburg

Back
Top Bottom