• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And Sanders to Endorse Clinton in 5...4....3....2....1....

I would prefer if Clinton _asked_ Warren and Warren refused on the grounds that she can do more as Clinton's partner from the Senate.
That way the young voters get their enthusiastic endorsement, they get Clinton having shown the requisite deference to the left, and we all get a one-two powerhouse in two branches working together.

That's my dream team.

This makes a lot more sense. Having to replace a Democratic senator, and relying on a governor's appointment, or a special election, could end up being the difference between Democratic & Republican control of the Senate. I don't think that the Democrats can take back the House this election due to gerrymandering. At the very least HRC would be able to get an appointment to replace Scalia that's much more favorable to left of center voters with a Democratic Senate than a Republican one.

All this pick Warren talk doesn't take into account the possibility that whether or not the Democrats retake the Senate could come down to one Senate seat. Another Scott Brown could mean the difference between Schumer or McConnell being Majority Leader.
Republicans aren't holding onto the Senate. It just isn't possible. Even if they have a good election in '16, they'd likely lose because the seats were won in a crazy landslide in '10. The question is how big of a majority in the Senate the Dems can get. A supermajority is mathematically possible, but would seem terribly unlikely. With the Sanders endorsement, the War for Congress is on.

I would prefer if Clinton _asked_ Warren and Warren refused on the grounds that she can do more as Clinton's partner from the Senate.
That way the young voters get their enthusiastic endorsement, they get Clinton having shown the requisite deference to the left, and we all get a one-two powerhouse in two branches working together.

That's my dream team.

I think that's unlikely to happen. I think Warren really wants to be VP. I also think if Warren stays in the Senate she will become Clinton's strongest Democratic opponent, rather than her partner. I see choosing Warren as a sacrifice (or rather re-triangulation) Clinton must make in order to satisfy Sanders' supporters that she must now and in the future actually address their issues, rather than a one-time gesture to appease them. We are tired and angry at the way Obama continually caved in under the naive assumption that the other side would then play ball.

Fair enough. In that case, pedal to the metal on energizing voters!

This makes a lot more sense. Having to replace a Democratic senator, and relying on a governor's appointment, or a special election, could end up being the difference between Democratic & Republican control of the Senate. I don't think that the Democrats can take back the House this election due to gerrymandering. At the very least HRC would be able to get an appointment to replace Scalia that's much more favorable to left of center voters with a Democratic Senate than a Republican one.

All this pick Warren talk doesn't take into account the possibility that whether or not the Democrats retake the Senate could come down to one Senate seat. Another Scott Brown could mean the difference between Schumer or McConnell being Majority Leader.
Republicans aren't holding onto the Senate. It just isn't possible. Even if they have a good election in '16, they'd likely lose because the seats were won in a crazy landslide in '10. The question is how big of a majority in the Senate the Dems can get. A supermajority is mathematically possible, but would seem terribly unlikely. With the Sanders endorsement, the War for Congress is on.

I hope you're right; I wouldn't bank on it. I'll feel a lot more comfortable after election day about the Democrats' chances of holding the Presidency & regaining the Senate. I do think that the war for the House is on, but I don't think that the war for the Senate is won either. I hope it is; I fear that it isn't.

I hope you're right; I wouldn't bank on it. I'll feel a lot more comfortable after election day about the Democrats' chances of holding the Presidency & regaining the Senate. I do think that the war for the House is on, but I don't think that the war for the Senate is won either. I hope it is; I fear that it isn't.
A lot can happen between now and then. It'll be in stages, first the RNC Convention (does Trump salvage respect or turn most against him... is he nominated at all?) then the DNC Convention (are the Sanders supporters mobilized and energetic) then the debates.

Brexit was a shot in the arm for Clinton and since then, she has conceded to more of Sander's platform. The moderates and liberals should be united now and ready to take this election on.

A lot can happen between now and then. It'll be in stages, first the RNC Convention (does Trump salvage respect or turn most against him... is he nominated at all?) then the DNC Convention (are the Sanders supporters mobilized and energetic) then the debates.

Brexit was a shot in the arm for Clinton and since then, she has conceded to more of Sander's platform. The moderates and liberals should be united now and ready to take this election on.

Yeah, I'm still concerned that the Republicans might dump Trump at the convention. It's why I'd like for the political action committees that support HRC, to hold their fire somewhat until they're sure that Trump is the nominee. If he isn't then those resources already spent on negative ads against him are wasted. I've already seen more than a few anti-Trump ads on TV.

I don't know who they'd replace Trump with if he were ousted at the convention. I'm glad that the Republican convention will come first this year, it gives HRC more time to decide on her VP pick. I don't think she should come to a final decision prior to the Republican Convention. HRC should make the Republicans commit to a decision before she goes public with hers.

I think there's an informal agreement between the parties that the party that's not in control of the White House has their convention first.

I'd also like to see some of the street violence that's occurring at this time wind down. I think that it favors Trump for it to continue. Trump has the option of saying "law & order" and it could play to his advantage ala Nixon in 1968. Trump's replacement may get more mileage out of it if Trump gets dumped. I think that the Dallas shooting has potential to work to the Republicans advantage. Republicans could potentially use it to stoke fear.

Revolution Undermined: On Bernie Sanders’s Endorsement of Hillary Clinton

I join millions of Americans who see Hillary Clinton’s campaign as the opposite of what they and Bernie Sanders have fought for. Despite her penchant for flip flopping rhetoric, Hillary Clinton has spent decades consistently serving the causes of Wall Street, war and the Walmart economy.

The policies she fought for – along with her husband and political partner, Bill Clinton – have been foundations of the economic disaster most Americans are still struggling with: the abuses of deregulated Wall Street, rigged corporate trade agreements, racist mass incarceration, and the destruction of the social safety net for poor women and children. The consistent efforts of the Democratic Party to minimize, sideline, and sabotage the Sanders campaign are a wake up call that we can’t have a revolutionary campaign inside a counter-revolutionary party.

Sadly, Sanders is one of a long line of true reformers that have been undermined by the Democratic Party.

I join millions of Americans who see Hillary Clinton’s campaign as the opposite of what they and Bernie Sanders have fought for. Despite her penchant for flip flopping rhetoric, Hillary Clinton has spent decades consistently serving the causes of Wall Street, war and the Walmart economy.

The policies she fought for – along with her husband and political partner, Bill Clinton – have been foundations of the economic disaster most Americans are still struggling with: the abuses of deregulated Wall Street, rigged corporate trade agreements, racist mass incarceration, and the destruction of the social safety net for poor women and children. The consistent efforts of the Democratic Party to minimize, sideline, and sabotage the Sanders campaign are a wake up call that we can’t have a revolutionary campaign inside a counter-revolutionary party.

Sadly, Sanders is one of a long line of true reformers that have been undermined by the Democratic Party.

Bernie was never a Democrat anyway. Well, for a year or so he was when it was convenient for him. Besides, no one ever gets everything they want. Only children think that's realistic.

Whoever wrote that is delusional. Hillary's campaign is not the opposite of Bernie's, and has in fact taken up many of the changes Bernie was pushing for. This after having secured the nomination. The campaign that is the opposite of Hillary's would be Trump's campaign.

Whoever wrote that is delusional. Hillary's campaign is not the opposite of Bernie's, and has in fact taken up many of the changes Bernie was pushing for. This after having secured the nomination. The campaign that is the opposite of Hillary's would be Trump's campaign.

The "whoever" who wrote that is Green Party candidate Jill Stein. So, standard rhetoric from the hard left.

The "whoever" who wrote that is Green Party candidate Jill Stein. So, standard rhetoric from the hard left.

Wait, so one of the people who is running against Hillary Clinton had something negative to say about Hillary Clinton? I did not see that coming.

Yeah, I'm still concerned that the Republicans might dump Trump at the convention. It's why I'd like for the political action committees that support HRC, to hold their fire somewhat until they're sure that Trump is the nominee. If he isn't then those resources already spent on negative ads against him are wasted. I've already seen more than a few anti-Trump ads on TV.
Things are starting slowishly in the media world. They most likely are holding back for the RNC to be officially over.
I don't know who they'd replace Trump with if he were ousted at the convention.
Kasich or Gingrich are the only two. Neither have much to lose in losing in '16, but in doing the party a major favor.
I'd also like to see some of the street violence that's occurring at this time wind down. I think that it favors Trump for it to continue. Trump has the option of saying "law & order" and it could play to his advantage ala Nixon in 1968. Trump's replacement may get more mileage out of it if Trump gets dumped. I think that the Dallas shooting has potential to work to the Republicans advantage. Republicans could potentially use it to stoke fear.
Yeah, unfortunately Texas will likely swing for the Republicans this time. ;)

Tough words about a guy who wasn't even in the Democrat Party endorsing Clinton, after getting a lot of serious concessions in the party platform.

Dear Jill Stein:

Maybe you haven't noticed that even when the Democrats had a freebie in '08, the best we could do progressive wise was Obama. You need to get off your rump and get people to the polls in the mid-term elections so that we can take back the states and Congress.

Not delusional, just politics as usual as she is running against Clinton.

Nah, I'm still going with delusional, even though I voted for her last cycle.

Things are starting slowishly in the media world. They most likely are holding back for the RNC to be officially over.
I don't know who they'd replace Trump with if he were ousted at the convention.
Kasich or Gingrich are the only two. Neither have much to lose in losing in '16, but in doing the party a major favor.
Yeah, unfortunately Texas will likely swing for the Republicans this time. ;)

Tough words about a guy who wasn't even in the Democrat Party endorsing Clinton, after getting a lot of serious concessions in the party platform.

Dear Jill Stein:

Maybe you haven't noticed that even when the Democrats had a freebie in '08, the best we could do progressive wise was Obama. You need to get off your rump and get people to the polls in the mid-term elections so that we can take back the states and Congress.

I hope they are holding off, but since I'm already seeing some pretty hard hitting ads against Trump right now, I wonder what they have to bring next. Ads about how he acts towards women (Megyn Kelly, Rosie O'Donnell, his daughter Ivanka) started 2 or 3 weeks ago, if not more. Currently there are attack ads on Trump's temperament airing here. I agree with the point of these ads, but I can see how it's a waste if Trump gets dumped. They're already tiresome and it's not even Labor Day yet.

I wouldn't dismiss Kasich winning a general election. It would be a different electorate than just the Republican primary. I can't say it would play out in Kasich's favor, but I wouldn't rule it out.

I don't doubt that TX will be red this election, and for a while into the future. What I wonder is how this news affects the votes in other states. Who is motivated by it, and how. Does it help Trump, or if he's ousted, his replacement? Maybe it's a wash. I don't know.

I fully agree with you on Jill Stein, as well as anyone who is considering voting for her in a general election. As far as I know, the Green Party hasn't won a statewide election in the U.S. ever. I do have concern that she could end up being Nader 2.0.

She claims to be about liberal causes, but either she's lying, or lacks the wisdom to realize that what she's doing isn't helping said causes. The U.S. voting system is configured in such a way that a 2 party system will be the norm. If she wants liberal policies, she should join the Democratic party and run for Congress. She also has to realize that she's going to have to compromise and take some of what she wants, rather than insisting on ideological purity. Right now she's just helping the Republicans.

Polling at this point seems oddly contradictive. In general, Clinton is leading in most battleground states, but the numbers are not outside margin of error. And there is a decent amount of undecideds, who knows where that would go. Rasmussen is showing Trump up in national polls. Yes, Rasmussen is a partisan hack, but I believe they were most accurate for 2014.

Also, the senate races in a couple states leaning Clinton are leaning the Republican Senator candidate. So while I'm still pretty certain Clinton should win, the polling isn't settled by any means.

... Also, the senate races in a couple states leaning Clinton are leaning the Republican Senator candidate. So while I'm still pretty certain Clinton should win, the polling isn't settled by any means.

I've read that McCain is worried about losing in Arizona. If he disses Trump he could get Jebified.

Back
Top Bottom