• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And the Winner is.... Russia....

Zeluvia

Basic Beliefs
Thinking
http://dabrownstein.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/crop-yield-with-climate-change-world-map.jpg

Apparently, this file is too large for the board to handle as an image.

The OLD board could take it, this one is a wuss.

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...nvironment-climate-change-food-security-crops

The researchers found this by comparing results from almost 100 independent studies—more than double the number used in the IPCC's fourth assessment—that measured the impact of higher temperatures on three of the globe's primary staple crops: maize, wheat, and rice. It's currently the largest dataset we have that demonstrates how crops will respond to changing climates, and it suggests that decreases in yields will grow larger, affect both temperate regions and the tropics, and become increasingly erratic as the weather turns more unpredictable too.

Once mid-century hits, crop losses of up to 25% will become more commonplace, as well—a number that does account for basic mitigation efforts in farming regimes.

Canada is looking pretty good too. Take note they tried to account for mitigation efforts, including GM crops.

Zeluvia: I don't think anybody's looking very good. All our activities are driven by the same regimen that causes global warming...and other pollution. It is clear to me that as our population continues to swell and the world gets hotter, human life will become more and more difficult. Technology will definitely be part of the attack on the problem of keeping as many of us alive as possible. What concerns me is that the capitalists really don't care who lives or dies as long as it is not them dying.

What this problem represents to me is a fulminating need for societies worldwide to engage in laborious adjustments one after the other and to do so rapidly, if human life is the thrust of their efforts. That means they will have to drop a lot of nationalistic and personality based political foolishness. So far we are behind the mark in that area.

Back
Top Bottom