• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Anita Sarkeesian called someone "a garbage human", but before we talk about that....

The twitter skirmish that Sargon was involved in when he made the "I wouldn't even rape you" tweet was overly long and complex. There was also a lot of sarcasm piled upon sarcasm, so you had to know his real position and be current with the thread.

So while he technically may have been right, tactically he was as dumb as a box of rocks. No one even remembers what point he was trying to make.

Sarcasm beyond reacting to one specific tweet is going to be lost by the masses.

And she discusses several counterexamples - Distressed Dudes, women who are not Damselled, comparing the relatively strong role that Zelda plays in that series, and so forth. Again, you're attacking a strawman.

And yet again...Her claim is that it's the unbalanced portrayals, in our relatively misogynistic (compared to ideal) society that are harmful, not any individual.

But wait I thought we just established that she never claimed the misogynistic tropes are harmful, just offensive as far as I could find? So did she say the tropes are harmful or not? I'm sorry to brick you over word choice but it kind of matters here.

No, I said that she didn't take a simplistic Jack Thompson view - you may remember him as the guy that claimed that video games directly led to school shootings and therefor should be banned. THat's far different than "contributes to culture in potentially negative ways.", which is why she also called attention to games like Beyond Good and Evil or Overwatch as positive counterexamples.

Isn't that just so many words for imparting roughly the same idea? At some point down the road this has to culminate in some form of harm for someone because if it doesn't then what's so negative about it?

Back
Top Bottom