• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another study verifies that the best way to help poor people is to give them cash

ksen

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinist
http://www.vox.com/2014/10/3/6894029/cash-refugees-international-rescue-committee-study

They found that giving the cash resulted in a range of benefits:

1 Those getting the payments spent more on heating fuel and clothes, and were "significantly more likely to own an oven and heater."

2 They were less likely to skip meals or have adults eat less to help children.

3 They were less likely to engage in child labor or physically dangerous work, or to sell productive assets.

4 Children in recipient families were more likely to go to school.

5 Families getting cash were less likely to report domestic disputes.

6 Those getting the cash worked a tiny bit less but there's barely any work to go around: recipient adults worked, on average, 2.7 hours in the past four weeks, compared to 3.1 for those not getting the cash.

7 Recipients spent no more on candy or beverages and significantly less on tobacco; once again, there's no evidence that poor people blow cash transfers on booze and cigarettes.

8 Survey responses suggest the cash "did not lead to increased crime or jealousy."

Further analysis suggested that there was no evidence of increased inflation due to the transfers and that every $1 spent on the transfer translated into $2.13 additional dollars for the Lebanese economy. It turns out when you help desperately poor people start spending money, the economy as a whole benefits.

I know, I know, it can't work in America because we have too many blacks we're not a homogenous society.

Small world. The guy who mugged me last night referenced the exact same study.

I guess he didn't get to finding #8.

No, he'd mugged someone the night before too. It's just that yesterday, he had a better justification for it than doing it just because he's a dick.

I know, I know, it can't work in America because we have too many blacks we're not a homogenous society.
Two different types of poverty. One has a social safety net, the other has people literally starving. I can only guess but if you gave every poor adult American 10k today, many would do good things with it. I also think the emergency rooms would be filled tonight and the morgues tomorrow with blacks, whites, hispanics, other.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/3/6894029/cash-refugees-international-rescue-committee-study

They found that giving the cash resulted in a range of benefits:

1 Those getting the payments spent more on heating fuel and clothes, and were "significantly more likely to own an oven and heater."

2 They were less likely to skip meals or have adults eat less to help children.

3 They were less likely to engage in child labor or physically dangerous work, or to sell productive assets.

4 Children in recipient families were more likely to go to school.

5 Families getting cash were less likely to report domestic disputes.

6 Those getting the cash worked a tiny bit less but there's barely any work to go around: recipient adults worked, on average, 2.7 hours in the past four weeks, compared to 3.1 for those not getting the cash.

7 Recipients spent no more on candy or beverages and significantly less on tobacco; once again, there's no evidence that poor people blow cash transfers on booze and cigarettes.

8 Survey responses suggest the cash "did not lead to increased crime or jealousy."

Further analysis suggested that there was no evidence of increased inflation due to the transfers and that every $1 spent on the transfer translated into $2.13 additional dollars for the Lebanese economy. It turns out when you help desperately poor people start spending money, the economy as a whole benefits.

The article relates to refugees who would generally be poor, and not just to poor people.
Is it really necessary to write an article to show that when refugees are given money they buy things?

- - - Updated - - -

Two Jews mugged me last month. One was a dentist and the other was a lawyer.

Refugees, not poor people. We are talking about a group that has been managing their finances properly until an external disaster displaced them. That's a very different matter than those who are poor due to mismanagement.

I have no problem with giving them cash. It's only the ones that have demonstrated mismanagement that should get aid that's hard to misuse.

I can only guess but if you gave every poor adult American 10k today, many would do good things with it. I also think the emergency rooms would be filled tonight and the morgues tomorrow with blacks, whites, hispanics, other.

...and you would think this, why? Do you imagine that they'd get that 10K in easy to rob cash? Do you imagine that suddenly, the lure of adding their neighbor's 10K to their own would cause people to turn to rampant violence, even though they have just as much incentive to do so *right now* as they would in this hypothetical scenario?

I can only guess but if you gave every poor adult American 10k today, many would do good things with it. I also think the emergency rooms would be filled tonight and the morgues tomorrow with blacks, whites, hispanics, other.

...and you would think this, why?
I believe it is a fair assumption that if you give any large group of people a sudden influx of cash they are not accustom to, a percentage of them that have substance abuse problems may exacerbate that problem and end up in the emergency room and/or morgue. Do you not agree with this?

Do you imagine that they'd get that 10K in easy to rob cash?
???

Do you imagine that suddenly, the lure of adding their neighbor's 10K to their own would cause people to turn to rampant violence, even though they have just as much incentive to do so *right now* as they would in this hypothetical scenario?

Perhaps not in the severe context you are framing it. Though, yes this would be an issue just as much as it would amongst people with substance abuse problems. Criminals who would rob others in any case would be more opportunistic.

I believe it is a fair assumption that if you give any large group of people a sudden influx of cash they are not accustom to, a percentage of them that have substance abuse problems may exacerbate that problem and end up in the emergency room and/or morgue. Do you not agree with this?

I don't think so.

A few years back we had the US give a 'tax rebate' a few hundred dollars to most of its citizens. A certain % of the general population have substance abuse problems, particularly alcoholics. How much of a bump in emergency room entries did that cause?

I don't think so.

A few years back we had the US give a 'tax rebate' a few hundred dollars to most of its citizens. A certain % of the general population have substance abuse problems, particularly alcoholics. How much of a bump in emergency room entries did that cause?

Yes, but that was different. That was a handout given to the public by a patriotic Real AmericanTM, and therefore that was a good thing that produced good results. In this case, we are talking about a handout that could potentially come from America-hating, freedom-hating terrorist-lovers, and therefore would have completely different results when compared to a handout from a patriotic Real AmericanTM.

;) :cheeky:

Do you imagine that they'd get that 10K in easy to rob cash?
???

Do you imagine that suddenly, the lure of adding their neighbor's 10K to their own would cause people to turn to rampant violence, even though they have just as much incentive to do so *right now* as they would in this hypothetical scenario?

Perhaps not in the severe context you are framing it. Though, yes this would be an issue just as much as it would amongst people with substance abuse problems. Criminals who would rob others in any case would be more opportunistic.

The only problem with this analysis is that it has never been borne out when unconditional cash transfers have been tried.

Other than that you might be on to something!

The only problem with this analysis is that it has never been borne out when unconditional cash transfers have been tried.

Other than that you might be on to something!

Well, when theory conflicts with demonstrable reality, theory wins every time. Just ask any communist.

Back
Top Bottom