• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another unarmed man killed by police

It was New Jersey, not Pennsylvania. And he wasn't exactly unarmed as the whole confrontation was precipitated by the police officer seeing a gun (which Reid as a felon would not be allowed to possess anyway).
From here:
nj.com said:
Days asks the driver to produce his license and seconds later, Days is seen pulling his gun. He orders the men in the car, identified as Leroy Tutt, 46, of Long Branch, and Reid, of the Seabrook section of Upper Deerfield Township, to show their hands and not to move.

"Get 'em out the car, Rog. We've got a gun in his glove compartment," Days said. He reaches into the passenger window and retrieves what appears to be a silver object. They continue to tell the men not to move and at one point Days addresses the passenger, Reid, by his first name.

Days shouts, "He's reaching! He's reaching!"

In the passenger seat, Reid, 36, can be heard what sounds like "let me out of the (expletive) car" and seconds later, the passenger side door opens and Days goes backward.

Reid gets out of the car with what appear to be his hands in front his chest.

Both Days and Worley discharge their weapons. Roughly nine shots are heard between them.
[...]
Q. Was that a gun the officer removed from the car before Reid got out? If so, whose gun was it?

A. The prosecutor's office has said that a gun was "revealed" and later recovered during the traffic stop. Police have not said who the gun belonged to. The video appears to show Days removing a silver object from the car.

Q. Was there another weapon in the car?

A. We don't know. In the video, Days appears to remove the silver object from the car, then continues to tell Reid not to move and says he is reaching for something.

"I'm telling you, I'm telling you! Keep your (expletive) hands right there. Eh, eh, Jerame, you reach for something, you're going to be (expletive) dead," Days is heard saying. "He's reaching! He's reaching."

The cop is understandably amped-up because he saw a gun and recognized the perp from a previous arrest and he knew that he was a career criminal with a history of shooting at police.
Q. Did either the driver, Tutt, or the passenger, Reid, have a criminal record?

A. Reid previously spent 13 years in a state prison for shooting at New Jersey State Police troopers when he was a teenager. During that incident, the NJSP came to his home in Buena Vista with a warrant regarding a stolen handgun. He ran, and exchanged gunfire with police. Police were not injured in the gunfire. According to court records, Tutt was found guilty on an aggravated assault charge in 2012 and previously was charged with narcotics offenses in the 1990s and mid-2000s.

Q. Was there a history between Reid and the police officers? How did Days know Reid's name?

A. Reid was previously arrested in Bridgeton last August at South Avenue and Henry Street — the same intersection, according to previous reports. He was charged with obstruction, resisting arrest and possession, and had a warrant for failure to appear in Millville Municipal Court. Days was one of the arresting officers.

#blacklivesmatter should really look for some better victims.

Did this cop have reasonable evidence his life was in mortal danger?

Does a man exiting a car with his hands up represent a mortal danger?

Let's hope some jury has to decide.

It was New Jersey, not Pennsylvania. And he wasn't exactly unarmed as the whole confrontation was precipitated by the police officer seeing a gun (which Reid as a felon would not be allowed to possess anyway).

*Was* there actually a gun, or is this another bullshit "I thought he had a gun, I could swear there was a gun, shooting him half a dozen times was totally warranted" type of justification like we've heard so many times before? Because at no point does the video actually show the dude reaching for a gun or wielding a gun. All we see is the guy getting out of the car, clearly with both his hands in the air and empty, and the cops immediately open fire on him like a pack of headless chickens.

I would not put it past these cops to plant a gun on the guy and get his prints on it.

There was something very personal and menacing about the cop. Also it seemed a very close call the stop sign running the driver did. He did seem to come to a full but very short stop at the sign.

I would not put it past these cops to plant a gun on the guy and get his prints on it.
Well it sure didn't take long for conspiracy theories. Shades of Vonderrit Myers or Antonio Martin. :rolleyes:
There was something very personal and menacing about the cop.
He arrested the perp a year before - that's how he knew his name. This also means he knew that the perp had a history of shooting at the police (for which he went away for 13 years). Then he sees a gun.

But at least this time nobody can claim racism as a cause.

He arrested the perp a year before - that's how he knew his name. This also means he knew that the perp had a history of shooting at the police (for which he went away for 13 years). Then he sees a gun.

Dashboard footage from a fatal police shooting in Bridgeton, New Jersey confirm eyewitness accounts that the victim was stepping out of the car with his arms raised when officers shot and killed him, the Press of Atlantic City reports.

No he didn't. The video clearly shows the man's hands up and empty.

Well it sure didn't take long for conspiracy theories.

Nope, it didn't take you and the cops long at all.

But at least this time nobody can claim racism as a cause.

:unsure:

This case seems quite different from many of the other recent police shootings that have been given the #blacklivesmatter hashtag. For once, given the video evidence, I am on the cops side here. First off, Days saw a gun in the glove compartment, so he is not dealing with an unarmed man, and it is not clear from the video that the gun was removed by the officer. Also, if the convicted felon the officer was confronting had one gun in reach, he could easily have another. Days ordered Reid to stay put, and told him he would shoot him if he moved or reached for anything. This is not to say that I think one should blindly follow police orders or be executed. In this case, Days has a very good reason to expect Reid to comply, and meet significant noncompliance with deadly force, Fields was a known convicted felon with at least one handgun in reach. Days gave several warnings to Fields as Fields did exactly the opposite of the orders Days gave. Fields not only opened the passenger door, but forced it open by slamming the door into Days as Days continued to warn him not to get out of the vehicle. Finally, Days is black, so it seems ridiculous that he would have executed Reid simply because Reid was black.

All in all, I think that given the video evidence, this shooting was justified for Days, if unfortunate for Fields. There are certainly more valid grievances that #blacklivesmatter should concentrate on.

This case seems quite different from many of the other recent police shootings that have been given the #blacklivesmatter hashtag. For once, given the video evidence, I am on the cops side here. First off, Days saw a gun in the glove compartment, so he is not dealing with an unarmed man, and it is not clear from the video that the gun was removed by the officer. Also, if the convicted felon the officer was confronting had one gun in reach, he could easily have another. Days ordered Reid to stay put, and told him he would shoot him if he moved or reached for anything. This is not to say that I think one should blindly follow police orders or be executed. In this case, Days has a very good reason to expect Reid to comply, and meet significant noncompliance with deadly force, Fields was a known convicted felon with at least one handgun in reach. Days gave several warnings to Fields as Fields did exactly the opposite of the orders Days gave. Fields not only opened the passenger door, but forced it open by slamming the door into Days as Days continued to warn him not to get out of the vehicle. Finally, Days is black, so it seems ridiculous that he would have executed Reid simply because Reid was black.

All in all, I think that given the video evidence, this shooting was justified for Days, if unfortunate for Fields. There are certainly more valid grievances that #blacklivesmatter should concentrate on.

When do you think it is lawful for a cop to not only shoot somebody but shoot them several times?

When they are merely afraid?

Or when their life is in serious danger?

The victim here said he was getting out to get on the ground. The cop did not permit this.

Days tells his partner, "He's reaching for something."

Faintly on the video, Reid can be heard telling the officer, "I ain't doing nothing. I'm not reaching for nothing, bro. I ain't got no reason to reach for nothing."

Then one of the men in the car tells the officer, "I'm getting out and getting on the ground."

The officer again orders Reid not to move. Seconds later, Reid emerges from the car, raising his hands, which appear to be empty. Both officers fire immediately, shooting at least six rounds.

Bystanders start yelling at the officers, and other emergency vehicles arrive.

If you think they guy has more guns in the car, getting him out and on the ground is a not-bad idea?
Guy is saying he plans to lie down. Guy has his hands in teh air. Cops so hopped up on shout juice they can't even think.
Why do cops always shout like that. Shouting repeatedly never helps understanding. Really, ever. Why do they shout like that instead of giving calm instructions?

Is it to try to scare the person into thinking you're about to shoot them dead? That'll make 'em act rationally, right? Not think, "oh shit cop gonna kill me, I gotta do something, gotta show him I'm not planning anything, gonna getn on the ground and be good." BLAM.

When do you think it is lawful for a cop to not only shoot somebody but shoot them several times?

When a known convicted felon with a handgun in reach is forcing his way through a door a police officer is blocking with his body, and the police officer has given the convicted felon a lawful order not to do exactly what he is doing, I feel it is reasonable for that officer to think his life is in serious danger.

The victim here said he was getting out to get on the ground. The cop did not permit this.

And of course you can count on a known convicted felon with a violent past, including gun crimes, to tell the truth at all times. The officer needs to carefully control the situation. You do this by removing the suspects from the vehicle, one at a time, starting with the driver. You make sure that the driver is cuffed and safely detained, before allowing the passenger to make any movement.

No it was a regular police car.

LOL.

:nada:

- - - Updated - - -

When a known convicted felon with a handgun in reach is forcing his way through a door a police officer is blocking with his body, and the police officer has given the convicted felon a lawful order not to do exactly what he is doing, I feel it is reasonable for that officer to think his life is in serious danger.

And of course you can count on a known convicted felon with a violent past, including gun crimes, to tell the truth at all times. The officer needs to carefully control the situation. You do this by removing the suspects from the vehicle, one at a time, starting with the driver. You make sure that the driver is cuffed and safely detained, before allowing the passenger to make any movement.

Obviously the best thing to do in this situation is keep the guy you are worried about inside the car and closer to his gun.

Is that a Jaguar that these thugs were in ?
They took the ads a bit too seriously.
landingHero.jpg

:nada:

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously the best thing to do in this situation is keep the guy you are worried about inside the car and closer to his gun.

In this case, you are worried about both suspects. You get the driver out and detain him first, as he could easily speed off, or try to run you over with the car as you are dealing with the passenger.

Back
Top Bottom