• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Anti Trump Republican loses

I think that Bernie hurt Clinton as much as anything because I know quite a few Bernie bros that voted third party because they just couldn't vote for Hillary.

How is that on Bernie? That's entirely on Hillary for being a historically horrible candidate and the DNC for pushing her regardless. Politicians are not entled to your vote. They have to convince you they are the best opition and motivate you to vote for them. Hillary's overwhelming sense of entitlement and corruption, and yes, her lack of likeability, is why she failed in such a dramatic and historic way.
Won the popular vote. So yes, her loss was dramatic and historic for having won the popular vote by 2ish million votes and lost handily in the electoral college. But she still won the popular vote, so this idea that she "failed" in a historic fashion is wrong.

I think that Bernie hurt Clinton as much as anything because I know quite a few Bernie bros that voted third party because they just couldn't vote for Hillary.

How is that on Bernie? That's entirely on Hillary for being a historically horrible candidate and the DNC for pushing her regardless. Politicians are not entled to your vote. They have to convince you they are the best opition and motivate you to vote for them. Hillary's overwhelming sense of entitlement and corruption, and yes, her lack of likeability, is why she failed in such a dramatic and historic way.
Won the popular vote. So yes, her loss was dramatic and historic for having won the popular vote by 2ish million votes and lost handily in the electoral college. But she still won the popular vote, so this idea that she "failed" in a historic fashion is wrong.

Well, it's not "wrong" in the sense that there's something incorrect about it. Given that the aim of the election was to win the electoral college and not the popular vote, her winning the thing which didn't lead to victory means that she lost and failed - full stop.

That's kind of the Democrats' thing, though. They get all the moral victories while sticking it to the dumb Republicans who end up being left with nothing except actual victories - and how fucking useful could those ever be?

Well, it's not "wrong" in the sense that there's something incorrect about it.
People talk about her loss as if she were Walter Mondale in '84.

Well, it's not "wrong" in the sense that there's something incorrect about it.

You make it sound like there's a difference. A loss is a loss and this one is magnified because it should have been an easy win and it's Clinton's failures as a candidate which turned that easy win into a loss.

You make it sound like there's a difference.
There is a big difference, when someone refers to her loss as "dramatic and historic". Yes, she lost and I haven't said otherwise. What I objected to was the "dramatic and historic" loss portion of the statement.

We get it. You don't like Hillary and now you're trying to deflect from your and others stupid decision to not vote for her and aiding the orange menace into office.

There is a big difference, when someone refers to her loss as "dramatic and historic". Yes, she lost and I haven't said otherwise. What I objected to was the "dramatic and historic" loss portion of the statement.
The part where her opponent was frigging Donald Trump.
His election was the aberration, not her loss. No scandal stuck. No "gaffe" or incitement of violence against Clinton supporters stuck. No other politician got away with what he did in his campaign.

The part where her opponent was frigging Donald Trump.
His election was the aberration, not her loss. No scandal stuck. No "gaffe" or incitement of violence against Clinton supporters stuck. No other politician got away with what he did in his campaign.

Bull. There's a reason that the Comey announcement the week before the election had the effect that it did. That reason was that her scandals stuck, regardless of how inane they were or how serious Trump's competing scandals were. She didn't have what it took to have them slide off of her and move on and she didn't have what it took to motivate enough people to come out and vote, so she narrowly lost the races which mattered.

We get it. You don't like Hillary and now you're trying to deflect from your and others stupid decision to not vote for her and aiding the orange menace into office.

That must be true. I've been told that by voting third party in California I contributed to Hillary's loss.

JP is Canadian, so he could not vote for her even if she was a sex worker.

Candidates are responsible for attracting votes. HRC failed to attract the right distribution of voters. Her campaign miscalculate the states of Wisconsin, Pennslyvannia and Michigan. Maybe she would have carried those states if she had run a better campaign in those states, maybe she wouldn't - we will never know.

HRC fought an uphill battle. It is difficult (although not unheard of) for a woman to be directly elected by the citizenry to lead a country. If my information is correct, it has not happened in the countries of North America yet.

Back
Top Bottom