• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Any avid (or not so avid) bicyclists here?

Worldtraveller

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Since moving back to AZ, and subsequently to N UT, I've really started riding pretty consistently again (80-100 miles/week on average). Mostly commuting to work and taking the 'long way' home, but occasionally just going for longer rides on the weekends as well.

I ride a recumbent. Have been since 2011, and I don't think I'll ever go back to riding an upright bike. I'm getting my sadly neglected mtn bike fixed up, but just to be able to sell it and get an offroad capable trike.

Since it gets pretty snowy and icy here in the winter, I plan on using the trike to continue commuting in the winter, and offroading in nicer weather. :)

Eventually, if the roads aren't too bad, I'll upgrade to a full on velomobile for winter commuting. I may use it for year round commuting when I go full velo, but the hills around here are pretty steep, and the extra weight really makes it a workout.

I have a category 5 (the lowest official classification) climb every morning on my way to work. Almost 500 feet of climbing each day.

I'd be of the 'not so avid' variety. Partner and I both go for the occasional bike ride but neither of us have great bikes. We're interested in an upgrade but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I consider myself more of a walker/runner than biker since I'm situated in the middle of a city and long distance biking can be difficult. But one of these days I'll likely upgrade my bike and get a little more serious about it, maybe before next summer.

There's a guy not far from me that is going to let me try out his velomobile next weekend. I'll probably do about 3 miles in it to get a good feel for handling, and getting it up to speed.

This one. Should be fun.

I've been told that with the modest power output I make (~170W), I should be able to cruise on level ground at about 25 mph. That's a good 7-8 mph than my normal level ground cruise speed. :)

I gave up bicycles after my third upper tier bicycle was stolen....from being cable-locked to a tree and another bicycle in my front yard.

I don't need to continue to outfit other bicyclists.

I gave up bicycles after my third upper tier bicycle was stolen....from being cable-locked to a tree and another bicycle in my front yard.

I don't need to continue to outfit other bicyclists.
Yeah, my bike is only stored inside, either the apt, or the garage.

This is my current ride: http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/Wylann/Bike Stuff/Elegance01.jpg

I'm negotiating with a guy to potentially purchase a velo by the end of the year. Well, ok, I'm negotiating with my wife to let me buy it..... ;)

Back
Top Bottom