• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Any classical music lovers?

My favorite classical performers, in order:

Glenn Gould (piano)
Hillary Hahn (violin)
John Williams (the guitarist, not the composer)
David Russell (guitar)
Yehudi Menuhin (violin)

Lists may be updated as I think of others

Some of my favorite performers:

Piano (alphabetical order): Emil Gilels, Wilhelm Kempff, Steven Kovacevich, Sviatoslav Richter, Artur Rubinstein
Violin (a clear #1, rest alphabetical): David Oistrakh, Hilary Hahn, Anne-Sophie Mutter, Itzhak Perlman
Cello: Jacqueline du Pre
Horn: Dennis Brain

Johann Sebastian Bach was not just the best composer ever (shut up, you ignoramuses in the peanut gallery). He also had that exquisite sense of humour Germans are so famous for.

Check out the Coffee Cantata, for instance. Bach appreciated jokes so much that he set one of his favourites to music, and it is a truly hilarious one indeed. This is how it goes.

Lieschen loves to drink coffee. Her dad, Schlendrian, disapproves on health grounds and thinks of a way to stop her. It turns out to be blackmail. He tells his daughter that he will not allow her to marry unless she gives up her addiction. Lieschen goes something like "Yeah. All right. Now go and round me up some suitors pronto." While Schlendrian is off on his merry way, Lieschen tells everyone in the audience, which had coincidentally gathered at the Café Zimmermann in Leipzig for the premiere of the half hour long cantata, that she has a cunning plan: She will secretly tell each suitor who is introduced to her that if he is to have any realistic hope of marrying her, he'll have to promise as part of the pre-nuptial agreement that he'll let her drink as much coffee as she likes.

The cantata consists of ten movements. The last one could be summarised as "Girls will be girls. If they want something you can't stop them from getting it."

Favorite composer is Bach and I never tire of hearing the Brandenburgs. They play a mix of early music to mofern composers .

I listen to King FM 24/7 classical. Should be available online. Non commercial.

I'd still like to find a nice book that strings a narrative through classical music, because I don't feel like I've been able to get a handle on it yet.

That said, I especially like solo piano and string quartets, more solo piano recently. Have listened to many youtube videos of Martha Argerich lately. I really like this one:

And when a classical show comes to town, which is fairly often, I sometimes try to make it out.

Hard to believe I made this post nearly seven years ago, I'd almost forgotten about my stint attending classical shows. That was shortly before my wife and I got engaged and our lives ramped up. Now as a parent music's really taken a back seat, I just don't have the time for it anymore.

Everybody hates finger exercises. There are only five words to describe them: boring, boring, boring, frustrating and boring. So, as soon as students dare, they bin their Hanon and move onto Chopin's lessons. He wrote two sets of twelve. They too can be frustrating, but at least they are not boring. Here is one of them.

I forgot to include a comment when I posted Stravinsky's Petruschka: It is so difficult that its composer, who was a concert pianist himself, admitted he could not play the piece.

I'd still like to find a nice book that strings a narrative through classical music, because I don't feel like I've been able to get a handle on it yet.

That said, I especially like solo piano and string quartets, more solo piano recently. Have listened to many youtube videos of Martha Argerich lately. I really like this one:

And when a classical show comes to town, which is fairly often, I sometimes try to make it out.

Hard to believe I made this post nearly seven years ago, I'd almost forgotten about my stint attending classical shows. That was shortly before my wife and I got engaged and our lives ramped up. Now as a parent music's really taken a back seat, I just don't have the time for it anymore.

I read a book way back on the history of music, and a book with bios of major composers.

You should be able to find some books.

Parts of it is personality, part is busness and competition. Publishing guilds once held a stakehold on music.

Louis 14th had music playing around the palace all day.

It is in a general sense no different than today. Today you look for new music on line or buy a CD. From a Bach bio, his patron on Monday tells him he is having a party on Saturday and tasks Bach to come up with something mew for the party.

Or if yiu are hired to play for somebody you go to a publisher and buy music.

What I got from reading Bach's bio is it was a job. There were techniques used for generating compositions. He was a naster of counterpoint.

In an interview a more modern Quincy Jones said composition is a skill you learn. I listened to T Bone Walker in an interview on how he used a compositional technique to create the song Green Onions.

Structurally there is no differnce between classical music and modern music, same underlying theory. Chords and progressions.

I grew up surrounded by classical music, literally back stage at the opera or the symphony. My mother was a gifted, professional violist, and my father was a very good amateur oboe player. My mother played in the local symphony (quite a good outfit actually) and the opera orchestra, and managed a chamber music series that brought top artists from around the world into the city. We had two grand pianos in our living room, where some of the world’s great musicians played.

All us kids were expected to learn instruments.

It didn’t take with me.

Segovia, or Rudolf Serkin could be playing in the living room, and I would be fretting about missing sleep before a history test the next day.

I listened to Rock surreptitiously. I taught myself jazz and boogie-woogie on the piano.

But some of it must have rubbed off. Today MS Tharmas and I are opera fans. We’d attend the symphony more except the local hall is murder for handicapped people like myself. I don’t listen to much true classical, as in Mozart and Bach, Vivaldi and those dudes, because I favor the Romantics and later, Brahms, Chopin, Mahler, Stravinsky and the like for symphonic, and I seem to be listening to composers I did learn to play for piano music - Debussy, Satie, Poulenc or Bartok.

My recommendation would be to fool around with a keyboard instrument and teach yourself some simple stuff, scales, simple chords, simple songs. Learn to read music at least at a rudimentary level. Learn the circle of fifths. I know you play guitar, and that’s good, but seeing the notes all laid out makes the relationships much clearer, at least in my judgement. Then you will start to see what Bach is doing in his “Well tempered” music, his Inventions and the like. That’s really where it starts.

My two cents.

Back
Top Bottom