• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Are poor white people priviliged?

Test hypothesis. Count percentage of poor white people killed by cops per arrest and percentage of all blacks arrested killerper arrest. Should provide a clear index of whether there is poor white privilege.

Oh wait, statistics aren't collected on income of those killed by cops ..... sorry.

Test hypothesis. Count percentage of poor white people killed by cops per arrest and percentage of all blacks arrested killerper arrest. Should provide a clear index of whether there is poor white privilege.

Oh wait, statistics aren't collected on income of those killed by cops ..... sorry.

But getting shot is a pretty extreme corner case. I think a more telling statistic would be whether or not poor whites have an above average social mobility than average poor people. And those statistics are available. Or why not compare white Americans with black Americans, just to narrow it down even more.

Because, like driving, not getting shot by police for no reason is a privilege, not a right?

The study's casual equating of race neutralization with "whitening" weakens its case. The authors appear to have made no attempt to control for that.
So the reason you call it "privilege" and "advantage" instead of "inequality" is because inequality is a fact. Got it.

Do we agree that there is discrimination against minorities? Simple yes or no.
Yes. Obviously.

And hey - you're being overly aggressive in this conversation, why can't it be a polite discussion? Why the hostility? I welcome opposing views, but do we need the name calling?
Why can't we just have a polite discussion about whether you've stopped beating your wife yet?

"Your assertion implies you feel you are a victim."

"Who is victimizing you? Are you unwilling to accept that there is inequality in society?"

"Does that concept deny you your victim-hood?"

"If you think minorities are to blame for white poverty, I’d sure like to hear about it."
Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

If you are autistic and therefore sincerely unaware that what you said to me was hostile, sorry, I didn't know. If you want me to make allowances for your disability, you need to tell me about it -- I'm not a Christian and turning the other cheek doesn't come naturally to me. If you need instruction on how to communicate in a non-hostile manner, just say so and I'll try to be helpful, although there are others here who'd be better at it.

Black Privilege

An Unintentional, Robust, and Replicable Pro-Black Bias in Social Judgment

Empirical evidence and social commentary demonstrate favoring of Whites over Blacks in attitudes, social judgment, and social behavior. In 6 studies (N > 4,000), we provide evidence for a pro-Black bias in academic decision making. When making multiple admissions decisions for an academic honor society, participants from undergraduate and online samples had a more relaxed acceptance criterion for Black than White candidates, even though participants possessed implicit and explicit preferences for Whites over Blacks. This pro-Black criterion bias persisted among subsamples that wanted to be unbiased and believed they were unbiased. It also persisted even when participants were given warning of the bias or incentives to perform accurately. These results suggest opportunity for theoretical and empirical innovation on the conditions under which biases in social judgment favor and disfavor different social groups, and how those biases manifest outside of awareness or control.

DlVT9bIWwAAEwY2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom