• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Are you morally superior to a crack whore?

A gay person is indeed not a threat or a serious moral issue. But you cannot deny that for centuries society has considered such behavior to be immoral, and thus those who engaged in such actions risked banishment or worse. It may not be logical, but that’s never stopped social norms of behavior from developing. The point I was making, and I made above is that society as a whole decides what is moral or not, and you seem to agree. How they come up with that may depend on a number of factors, way beyond our topic. And of course society evolves. 120 years ago, homosexuality, interracial marriage, premarital sex, and a host of other things were considered immoral that we would scoff at today. We think we’re more enlightened, even, dare I say it, morally superior to them.

SLD

Where you go wrong is in believing that morality is a spectrum which ranges from less than superior to superior. This is a very common misconception and every modern culture(since 5000 BCE, give or take) has someone who claims their morality is superior.

OK, but, if society has morals, however decided upon and what ever they are, then those who adhere to those morals are morally superior to those who do not.

As I said above, I think people’s issues are with the phrase "morally superior to" rather than to the actual content. We all make moral judgments about others and in doing so we are asserting our moral superiority, even if only silently condemning some others actions.

SLD

SLD said:
OK, but, if society has morals, however decided upon and what ever they are, then those who adhere to those morals are morally superior to those who do not.
That has repeatedly been shown to be false, in this thread. Having the moral beliefs of the majority, or even a vast majority, or behaving according to those beliefs, is not a guarantee of moral superiority over those who - for example - bravely fight against evil behavior by the vast majority who believe that they are the ones on the right.

Examples like slavery, punishment for homosexual behavior, etc., abound.

A gay person is indeed not a threat or a serious moral issue. But you cannot deny that for centuries society has considered such behavior to be immoral, and thus those who engaged in such actions risked banishment or worse. It may not be logical, but that’s never stopped social norms of behavior from developing. The point I was making, and I made above is that society as a whole decides what is moral or not, and you seem to agree. How they come up with that may depend on a number of factors, way beyond our topic. And of course society evolves. 120 years ago, homosexuality, interracial marriage, premarital sex, and a host of other things were considered immoral that we would scoff at today. We think we’re more enlightened, even, dare I say it, morally superior to them.

SLD

Where you go wrong is in believing that morality is a spectrum which ranges from less than superior to superior. This is a very common misconception and every modern culture(since 5000 BCE, give or take) has someone who claims their morality is superior.

As I said above, I think people’s issues are with the phrase "morally superior to" rather than to the actual content. We all make moral judgments about others and in doing so we are asserting our moral superiority, even if only silently condemning some others actions.

SLD

Then moral superiority is nothing more than majority behavior. That can get tricky because we have majorities all over the place. Shall we use the entire human race, states, this neighborhood, that tribe over there, etc.? Moral superiority is relative so how valuable is it? All those different groups have different behaviors and therefore different morals. Who becomes superior to who?

Morals are really environmental dictates. A tribe that abandons old people and deformed newborns is no less moral than a society that does not.

And there is misplaces morality.

A small group has birth rate, motaslity, and resources in balance.

Go in and inoculate children, provide pre natal care increasing ,ive birth rate and population grows beyond resources.

Further reflections.
1) The question partly hinges on some ancillary issues. Does the crack whore use a cloth tote instead of accepting plastic bags at the store? Does the crack whore signal both left and right turns? Does she suppress elevator farts? Does she trap and release spiders and centipedes living in her house? Does she contribute to the Special Olympics? Does she air dry her clothes when possible, instead of relying on the dryer?
Because I do. Ta-da!
2) Because the question is original and off the beaten path and could use a collaborative approach, I suggest airing it at a large gathering -- say, Thanksgiving dinner, and in a somewhat playful, speculative manner, i.e., 'Who says Nana is better than a crack whore? Who says she's worse? Who wants to start? Kids?'

Further reflections.
1) The question partly hinges on some ancillary issues. Does the crack whore use a cloth tote instead of accepting plastic bags at the store? Does the crack whore signal both left and right turns? Does she suppress elevator farts? Does she trap and release spiders and centipedes living in her house? Does she contribute to the Special Olympics? Does she air dry her clothes when possible, instead of relying on the dryer?
Because I do. Ta-da!
2) Because the question is original and off the beaten path and could use a collaborative approach, I suggest airing it at a large gathering -- say, Thanksgiving dinner, and in a somewhat playful, speculative manner, i.e., 'Who says Nana is better than a crack whore? Who says she's worse? Who wants to start? Kids?'

That would be fun.

SLD said:
That has repeatedly been shown to be false, in this thread. Having the moral beliefs of the majority, or even a vast majority, or behaving according to those beliefs, is not a guarantee of moral superiority over those who - for example - bravely fight against evil behavior by the vast majority who believe that they are the ones on the right.

Examples like slavery, punishment for homosexual behavior, etc., abound.

I think you miss my point. All of us, except for maybe someone who is a complete moral nihilist, have views about things they consider immoral. And by doing so, you are, of necessity saying you are morally superior to those who engage in such activities. You may not like that phraseology, but that is what you are engaging in. You bring up slavery as an example. You consider it a moral evil. Do you not therefore consider yourself morally superior to a slaveowner? Let’s make it a modern slaveowner in the US. There have been some recent examples of such resulting in prosecution. I don’t see how you can avoid not considering yourself morally superior, unless you’re telling me that you make no moral condemnation of slavery.

SLD

SLD

Then moral superiority is nothing more than majority behavior. That can get tricky because we have majorities all over the place. Shall we use the entire human race, states, this neighborhood, that tribe over there, etc.? Moral superiority is relative so how valuable is it? All those different groups have different behaviors and therefore different morals. Who becomes superior to who?

Morals are really environmental dictates. A tribe that abandons old people and deformed newborns is no less moral than a society that does not.

Well social consensus would be more than a bare majority. It would be something the vast majority would agree upon. That can change over time obviously but that’s another issue.

SLD

SLD said:
I think you miss my point. All of us, except for maybe someone who is a complete moral nihilist, have views about things they consider immoral. And by doing so, you are, of necessity saying you are morally superior to those who engage in such activities. You may not like that phraseology, but that is what you are engaging in. You bring up slavery as an example. You consider it a moral evil. Do you not therefore consider yourself morally superior to a slaveowner? Let’s make it a modern slaveowner in the US. There have been some recent examples of such resulting in prosecution. I don’t see how you can avoid not considering yourself morally superior, unless you’re telling me that you make no moral condemnation of slavery.
I did not miss the point. But my point was that the claim "if society has morals, however decided upon and what ever they are, then those who adhere to those morals are morally superior to those who do not." is false.

That aside, then no, by claiming something is immoral, one does not claim one is morally superior to those who engage in that something, for several reasons. For example, say Joe reckons that X is immoral. But Joe might say:

Joe:

"1. It might be that Jack engages in behavior X, but I engage in other behaviors that are worse, or that are less immoral individually, but I engage in many of them.
2. It might be that Jack engages in X, but also in morally praiseworthy behavior Y, and I do not do Y.
3. I engage in X as well. "

SLD said:
I did not miss the point. But my point was that the claim "if society has morals, however decided upon and what ever they are, then those who adhere to those morals are morally superior to those who do not." is false.
No. that statement almost by definition is absolutely true. That our moral views have changed overtime is a very, very different issue, and utterly irrelevant. You may no longer see such behavior as immoral. But during those times when people viewed such things as homosexuality as immoral, then such people who did not engage in such behavior would have logically concluded that they were morally superior.
That aside, then no, by claiming something is immoral, one does not claim one is morally superior to those who engage in that something, for several reasons. For example, say Joe reckons that X is immoral. But Joe might say:

Joe:

"1. It might be that Jack engages in behavior X, but I engage in other behaviors that are worse, or that are less immoral individually, but I engage in many of them.
2. It might be that Jack engages in X, but also in morally praiseworthy behavior Y, and I do not do Y.
3. I engage in X as well. "

Yes, but I premised my original point that such examples were not the case. Granted we can almost always find someone else who is engaging in far worse immoral behavior. Maybe you’re a genocidal maniac in which case I dare assume most people would consider a crack whore to be far more morally superior. WRT my question above, I’m assuming you’re not a slaveowner or worse. Now maybe you can find a slaveowner who engaged in some morally praiseworthy deed. US Grant once owned a slave, but later fought against slavery and helped significantly to bring about its destruction.

But the example I gave above was a modern US 21st century slaveholder, of which there have been a few examples. So are YOU (not some hypothetical other person) morally superior to a slaveowner? All other things being equal, I’d argue you should view yourself as morally superior to such a person.

SLD

SLD

Well social consensus would be more than a bare majority. It would be something the vast majority would agree upon. That can change over time obviously but that’s another issue.

SLD

Interestingly, however, it can never change over time unless people outside that majority consensus are in fact morally superior, and then gather a new majority around their new morality. It is true that those new morals can come from within that majority, but those defectors from the old majority immediately become a minority holding a superior morality.

Interesting how the dialogue is centered on the notion of superiority.

SLD said:
No. that statement almost by definition is absolutely true. That our moral views have changed overtime is a very, very different issue, and utterly irrelevant. You may no longer see such behavior as immoral. But during those times when people viewed such things as homosexuality as immoral, then such people who did not engage in such behavior would have logically concluded that they were morally superior.
That would not have been the logical conclusion, no. But you miss the point. Even if they had concluded that they were morally superior, that does not imply that they were morally superior. The claim "if society has morals, however decided upon and what ever they are, then those who adhere to those morals are morally superior to those who do not." is false, and would remain false even if those who adhere to those morals believe that they are morally superior to those who do not. There is a crucial difference between the question of whether some some people (say, A1,...,An) believe that B1,..., Bm (which might or might not overlap with A_1, .., A_n) are morally superior to C_1, ..., C_k, and whether B1,..., Bm are morally superior to C1, ..., Ck. The first question is a question about the beliefs of A1, .., An. The second question is a question about moral truth, not about the beliefs of a group - however numerous they might be.

SLD said:
Yes, but I premised my original point that such examples were not the case. Granted we can almost always find someone else who is engaging in far worse immoral behavior. Maybe you’re a genocidal maniac in which case I dare assume most people would consider a crack whore to be far more morally superior. WRT my question above, I’m assuming you’re not a slaveowner or worse. Now maybe you can find a slaveowner who engaged in some morally praiseworthy deed. US Grant once owned a slave, but later fought against slavery and helped significantly to bring about its destruction.
But that misses the point. The point is that by claiming something is immoral, one does not claim one is morally superior to those who engage in that something.

SLD said:
But the example I gave above was a modern US 21st century slaveholder, of which there have been a few examples. So are YOU (not some hypothetical other person) morally superior to a slaveowner? All other things being equal, I’d argue you should view yourself as morally superior to such a person.
You mean, an adult slaveowner?
In practice, probably yes, though not of necessity. The person who owns slaves very probably is behaving immorally (though I can easily construct counterexamples).
However, that example misses the point entirely because:

1. It asks your interlocutor (me, in this case), and by doing so, puts pressure on that person to lie if the answer is otherwise. But for example, if I were a genocidal maniac, I may well not consider myself probably better than the slave owner, but you would be putting very serious pressure on me to lie about it, lest not be exposed.

2. Even more crucially (because it does not apply just to genocidal maniacs and the like), your example involves behavior (i.e., owning slaves) that is (usually) so immoral that it's very improbable that I might do worse. But forget about owning slaves, and go for a much less immoral behavior. Consider, for example, an adult who has had time to think about religion, and is a Christian (or a Muslim, or any other religion). I believe that that person is almost certainly behaving immorally by failing to assess the truth of Christianity with a sufficiently cool head. That results in their remaining Christians. In fact, I would say at least (being very conservative here; in reality, I think it's much higher) 90% of Christians are being immoral. But I do not consider myself morally superior to 90% of Christians. It might well be that much more than 10% of them compensate in another manner, by not being immoral where I am, or by supererogatory actions, etc.

That would not have been the logical conclusion, no. But you miss the point. Even if they had concluded that they were morally superior, that does not imply that they were morally superior. The claim "if society has morals, however decided upon and what ever they are, then those who adhere to those morals are morally superior to those who do not." is false, and would remain false even if those who adhere to those morals believe that they are morally superior to those who do not. There is a crucial difference between the question of whether some some people (say, A1,...,An) believe that B1,..., Bm (which might or might not overlap with A_1, .., A_n) are morally superior to C_1, ..., C_k, and whether B1,..., Bm are morally superior to C1, ..., Ck. The first question is a question about the beliefs of A1, .., An. The second question is a question about moral truth, not about the beliefs of a group - however numerous they might be.

But that misses the point. The point is that by claiming something is immoral, one does not claim one is morally superior to those who engage in that something.

SLD said:
You mean, an adult slaveowner?
In practice, probably yes, though not of necessity. The person who owns slaves very probably is behaving immorally (though I can easily construct counterexamples).
However, that example misses the point entirely because:

1. It asks your interlocutor (me, in this case), and by doing so, puts pressure on that person to lie if the answer is otherwise. But for example, if I were a genocidal maniac, I may well not consider myself probably better than the slave owner, but you would be putting very serious pressure on me to lie about it, lest not be exposed.

2. Even more crucially (because it does not apply just to genocidal maniacs and the like), your example involves behavior (i.e., owning slaves) that is (usually) so immoral that it's very improbable that I might do worse. But forget about owning slaves, and go for a much less immoral behavior. Consider, for example, an adult who has had time to think about religion, and is a Christian (or a Muslim, or any other religion). I believe that that person is almost certainly behaving immorally by failing to assess the truth of Christianity with a sufficiently cool head. That results in their remaining Christians. In fact, I would say at least (being very conservative here; in reality, I think it's much higher) 90% of Christians are being immoral. But I do not consider myself morally superior to 90% of Christians. It might well be that much more than 10% of them compensate in another manner, by not being immoral where I am, or by supererogatory actions, etc.

Well, if it makes you feel better, I think you’re morally superior to 90% of Christians.

SLD

Interesting how the dialogue is centered on the notion of superiority.

GLOOP!

Speaking for myself, the problem with Christians is the presumption of moral superiority and position of an absolute moral high ground.

While I detest adults who sell drugs to kids and would like to have their throats cut and the body left in the gutter, I do not feel superior. It for me is a moral position, I am not 'superior' to anyone. Lest I become like Christians.

As to 'crack whore', there butfor the grace of god go I.

Literature is full of the stories of the once proud and self righteous who fall. I have seen it enough.

I worked in a high stress division of Lockheed in the 80s. Some people broke under the stress. Alcohol. One guy I knew had a breakdown and was running down the street screaming. Somebody blew his brains out in a car.

Unless you have been tested a feeling of superiority is about as meaningful as a Christian hypocrite.

Back
Top Bottom