• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Automation and future human occupations

My nephew gets free university, he even gets stipend. Generally speaking, commercially lucrative diplomas you need to pay for to get, these include bullshit professions like diplomats, lawyers, economists, business manaers, etc. Engineers, doctors and scientists are not commercially lucrative and you can get these for free.

Then the Russian systems is nothing like the Swedish system, because:

• Swedish undergraduate students can get any course for free, regardless of whether some guy thinks they are bullshit, and the only condition is that they pass the basic admission requirements.
  • Russian undergraduate students can get some courses for free but only by means of earning a scholarship or some other pathway that has extra conditions attached to it.

(The US has probably very similar to Russia in this regard.)

My nephew gets free university, he even gets stipend. Generally speaking, commercially lucrative diplomas you need to pay for to get, these include bullshit professions like diplomats, lawyers, economists, business manaers, etc. Engineers, doctors and scientists are not commercially lucrative and you can get these for free.

Then the Russian systems is nothing like the Swedish system, because:

• Swedish undergraduate students can get any course for free, regardless of whether some guy thinks they are bullshit, and the only condition is that they pass the basic admission requirements.
  • Russian undergraduate students can get some courses for free but only by means of earning a scholarship or some other pathway that has extra conditions attached to it.

(The US has probably very similar to Russia in this regard.)

I've never said russian system presently was like swedish. I merely said it had been like that in the past (during USSR and some time after that)

I've never said russian system presently was like swedish. I merely said it had been like that in the past (during USSR and some time after that)

Your post:

You confuse stipend with what they call legacy admission I think. In US grad school student stipend is a norm.
Russia had stipend system where all students were getting the same amount which was more less enough to get food, housing was free. So stop pretending that Sweden has something unique.
You were sounding as if people were literally paid to take classes. In reality they are paid to be able to live while attending university full time. It's called a stipend.

In any case, we were discussing utopia where people don't have a need do any work to support themselves. So one way to gently direct people to something constructive is to pay them for continuing education throughout their lives.

Sweden's undergraduate students do not receive a stipend to pay for their courses: the courses are free and the students receive financial aid. It is not a stipend because the students aren't required to work as teachers or assistants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stipend
Universities usually refer to money paid to graduate students as a stipend, rather than as wages, to reflect complementary benefits.

Sweden's system differs radically from that in the US (and Russia, both now and in the past) where undergraduate courses are not free and undergraduate students do not receive financial aid (except for scholarships and other special programs). It serves as a useful model for what countries might need to move to once university ceases to provide economic benefits to potential students.

Your post:

You confuse stipend with what they call legacy admission I think. In US grad school student stipend is a norm.
Russia had stipend system where all students were getting the same amount which was more less enough to get food, housing was free. So stop pretending that Sweden has something unique.
You were sounding as if people were literally paid to take classes. In reality they are paid to be able to live while attending university full time. It's called a stipend.

In any case, we were discussing utopia where people don't have a need do any work to support themselves. So one way to gently direct people to something constructive is to pay them for continuing education throughout their lives.

Sweden's undergraduate students do not receive a stipend to pay for their courses: the courses are free and the students receive financial aid. It is not a stipend because the students aren't required to work as teachers or assistants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stipend
Universities usually refer to money paid to graduate students as a stipend, rather than as wages, to reflect complementary benefits.

Sweden's system differs radically from that in the US (and Russia, both now and in the past) where undergraduate courses are not free and undergraduate students do not receive financial aid (except for scholarships and other special programs). It serves as a useful model for what countries might need to move to once university ceases to provide economic benefits to potential students.

I am confused. Are you saying education was not free in USSR?

Back
Top Bottom