• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron concept art

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03...-first-looks-at-quicksilver-and-scarlet-witch

Marvel_Studios-_Assembling_a_Universe_22.jpg

Iron Man's Hulkbuster armor? As much as I salivate at the prospect, isn't that going to wipe out half of the movie's special effects budget on what's probably going to be a side story early in the movie?

avengers2-scarletwitch-olsen-concept-art-610x365.jpg

I like the new look for Scarlet Witch a lot, but then again almost anything would have been an improvement over the stupid-looking original from the comic books.

ant-man-reel1-610x343.jpg

I still question the decision to include Ant-Man even if he is the creator of the movie's central villain. Not only does he have a stupid power but... ugh. You know how Marvel characters always have real-world flaws? Ant-Man's flaw is one that is even more depressing and unforgivable than Iron Man's alcoholism. Ant-Man is a wife-beater. Ick.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Ant-Man is not in Avengers 2. They are changing Ultron's backstory for the film so that he is not created by Hank Pym. Word is Ultron will probably be Iron-Man related. The Ant Man concept art in your link is from a separate film, about Scott Lang.

Ultimate Ant-Man is a wife-beater. A hilariously over-the-top one. But 616 Ant-Man? I don't consider a guy who, during a mental breakdown, hits his wife once because she's trying to stop him from hatching a villainous scheme, to be a wife-beater. 616 Ant-Man is a guy with a lame power (it occurs to me that every non-superhero story about shrinking that I can think of features shrinking as a source of tremendous peril/inconvenience to the shrunken character, not an asset) who writers keep defining by one panel a few decades ago because that's probably the most interesting thing he's ever done, apart from invent robo-Hitler, but I guess they figured "my surrogate child is a mass murderer" isn't as down-to-earth a flaw as "I hit my wife".

The picture of Quicksilver looks like the kid from Breaking Bad.

I like how Elizabeth Olsen says that Scarlet Witch "has more things wrong with her than any character I've ever played". Last time I saw her in a film, her character fucked a guy a little while after he gets her almost raped. The time before that, she played a cult member. It's refreshing to see an actor admit that the character they're playing is crazy, not just misunderstood.

At this point, my main reason to watch this film is the presence of James Spader. It'll be nice to see him take a break from this "somewhat villainous, somewhat heroic" thing he's got going with The Blacklist and play someone unambiguously malevolent.

And just for pedantics, the Antman I know (616) did not hit his wife. Hank Pym at that point was Yellow Jacket, which was after he was Giant Man, and before he became Dr. Pym.

Note my Avatar is Ultron related. Many years ago, on BITNET Chat, I went regularly by the handle

Vision..

People loved the peeking eyes.

@Unbeatable,

I always thought of Scarlet Witch as damaged goods anyway. Vision has emotions, but not a lot of emotion, which I guess is what you expect from a robot. What kind of woman wants to form a relationship with someone so emotionally unavailable like that? A woman with a homicidal father who is more interested in his political movement than in his family, of course.

Besides, someone with the power to warp reality is a little bit scarier if they're a little bit crazy, right?

@Unbeatable,

I always thought of Scarlet Witch as damaged goods anyway. Vision has emotions, but not a lot of emotion, which I guess is what you expect from a robot. What kind of woman wants to form a relationship with someone so emotionally unavailable like that? A woman with a homicidal father who is more interested in his political movement than in his family, of course.

Besides, someone with the power to warp reality is a little bit scarier if they're a little bit crazy, right?

But the Vision was not in fact emotionless, thanks (kind of) to Simon Williams. He hardly came across as emotionally unavailable when he was with her.

(My sweet spot in reading Avengers was from the late 70's into the mid 80's, I actually stopped about the time Vision was stolen and disassembled)

The comic books in this days also took to task characters that referred to Vision as a "robot". He is supposed to be a synthetic man, they called him a Synthazoid, in which he is supposed to have all the right "parts", just synthetic.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that this movie should not even be given the secondary title 'Age of Ultron'. It is so obviously not going to have anything to do with the post apocalyptic Age of Ultron comic book run. As Unbeatable noted, it also will not feature Hank Pym, nor Ant Man in any of his personas. I suspect the third Avengers movie will be 'Avengers 3: Hunger', without a single space scene, and without featuring Galactus in the film.

Also, as noted previously, Ant Man will center on Scott Lang as Ant Man, though Hank Pym will be in the film as it has been revealed that Michael Douglas will be playing that role. I preferred Hank Pym as Ant Man, though I agree that his power is fairly lame in the Marvel universe. Hank Pym was also extremely intelligent (he created Ultron, after all), whereas Scott Lang had little else going for him, other than being a thief, which is hardly a super-heroic quality.

It is interesting to note that certain characters that would seem to have overwhelming powers can never seem to get out of their own way. The Super Adaptoid is a good example. Granted, most of them seem to be bad guys, so their failures would seem a good thing.

Not even tangentially related to anything other than the Avengers. Many years ago there was a "What If" in which Rogue fully absorbed the powers of Thor, and, by the end of the book, became a "female Thor". (OK, the Adaptoid got me thinking about Rogue)

Sometimes I wonder if people know that Reed Richards has slapped Sue several times and acts like a complete dick regularly. Yet how often does this come up?

Sometimes I wonder if people know that Reed Richards has slapped Sue several times and acts like a complete dick regularly. Yet how often does this come up?

It doesn't come up because I don't read FF. Never liked the book.

It doesn't come up because I don't read FF. Never liked the book.

When I was reading them regularly, the "cool" folks read X-Men, the overgrown kids, like myself, were more into the FF. (And in my case a bunch of Spider-Man titles,
Avengers, Iron Man). My only Strange" title was Defenders. (Yes, you see what I did there)

Sometimes I wonder if people know that Reed Richards has slapped Sue several times and acts like a complete dick regularly.
I didn't know about Reed slapping Sue (pretty much the only Fantastic Four run I've read was the Mark Millar/Bryan Hitch one), but I know he's a dick.

btw, I'm trying to find evidence of the "several times" part, but the only references online that I can find to Reed ever slapping Sue are one time when he did it in order to free her from Psycho-Man's mind control.

Yet how often does this come up?

I think it's common knowledge that Reed is an emotionally unavailable obsessive nerd, but it seems like the slapping part only comes up as a response to people bringing up Pym hitting Jan. Pym has so little going for him as a character that the time he went crazy and hit his wife is the most memorable thing about him. But Reed's the most prominent member of the FF franchise, the top scientist/inventor in the Marvel Universe, Doom's nemesis, etc. He's had more memorable moments, so the time he slapped Sue is just trivia, like Superdickery.

I didn't know about Reed slapping Sue (pretty much the only Fantastic Four run I've read was the Mark Millar/Bryan Hitch one), but I know he's a dick.

btw, I'm trying to find evidence of the "several times" part, but the only references online that I can find to Reed ever slapping Sue are one time when he did it in order to free her from Psycho-Man's mind control.

I think it's common knowledge that Reed is an emotionally unavailable obsessive nerd, but it seems like the slapping part only comes up as a response to people bringing up Pym hitting Jan. Pym has so little going for him as a character that the time he went crazy and hit his wife is the most memorable thing about him. But Reed's the most prominent member of the FF franchise, the top scientist/inventor in the Marvel Universe, Doom's nemesis, etc. He's had more memorable moments, so the time he slapped Sue is just trivia, like Superdickery.

I don't really follow the Avengers or FF, so I probably got 3rd hand info from the Ultimates version mixed up with the Earth 616 version.

Sue can turn invisible and put up force fields. I don't like blaming the victims of domestic abuse, but if that woman got slapped, it's really her own damn fault because she let it happen.

Back
Top Bottom