• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Bear cubs in California are developing an unexplained illness that makes them friendly and not afraid of people

The sad part is that these bears cannot survive in the wild. It's an interesting situation. It's not a matter of flight distance like we see in canines, but rather a pathology, at least a pathology from our perspective.

When I've had a nip I get the same way. :D

The sad part is that these bears cannot survive in the wild. It's an interesting situation. It's not a matter of flight distance like we see in canines, but rather a pathology, at least a pathology from our perspective.

The real sad part is that it could lead to people being mauled by bears when those cubs grow up. They are still wild animals and, as adults, very powerful wild animals. The combination of a wild animal that has no fear of humans and people who think wild animals are 'cute' and need to be petted could have some nasty results.

There are several cases of people trying to feed grizzlies, who weren't afraid of humans, that ended with predictable results.

My place last summer.

Can't get it to paste?

Last edited by a moderator:

The real sad part is that it could lead to people being mauled by bears when those cubs grow up. They are still wild animals and, as adults, very powerful wild animals. The combination of a wild animal that has no fear of humans and people who think wild animals are 'cute' and need to be petted could have some nasty results.

There are several cases of people trying to feed grizzlies, who weren't afraid of humans, that ended with predictable results.

There are no grizzlies in California. Black bears are quite safe if one has the good sense not to approach them. They are nervous around people and will show it by fake charging. In Yosemite NP, no one has ever been attacked or killed by a black bear. Which is really something in that visitors seem to be mesmerized by them and simply have to see how close they can get. As a park employee, I watched a group do just this, slowly approach a bear sniffing around a garbage can. A lady asked me if I was going to do anything about it and I said, "Yeah. I'm gonna walk the other way". You're much more likely to be killed by bees, the neighbor's dog, or an 18-24 year old male human.

There are no grizzlies in California. Black bears are quite safe if one has the good sense not to approach them. They are nervous around people and will show it by fake charging. In Yosemite NP, no one has ever been attacked or killed by a black bear. Which is really something in that visitors seem to be mesmerized by them and simply have to see how close they can get. As a park employee, I watched a group do just this, slowly approach a bear sniffing around a garbage can. A lady asked me if I was going to do anything about it and I said, "Yeah. I'm gonna walk the other way". You're much more likely to be killed by bees, the neighbor's dog, or an 18-24 year old male human.
Yes, I understand that black bears are not as dangerous as brown bears... they are much less aggressive. But they are still wild animals and, as such, not predictable. Even grizzlies can be approached by people who have a good understanding of their behavior. I would say to ask Timothy Treadwell who lived with grizzlies during the summers for over a decade... but you can't ask since the bears ate him and his girlfriend.

People really should not try to feed or pet wild animals no matter how friendly the animal appears. While someone can be able to with no bad consequences, they can also end up with a serious clawing or bite. And petting a cute little black bear cub could result in being charged by the protective mama bear.

You being a park employee, I am surprised that you didn't warn the woman to keep her distance. Maybe you should ask your supervisor about park policy. Would you have been in trouble with your supervisor if the bears had given her a nasty clawing and she said that you gave her permission?

Yes, I understand that black bears are not as dangerous as brown bears
Oddly enough Asiatic black bears are more likely to attack than brown bears
ebff3c752ecdbf80098640869d0b9276.jpg

There are also more incidents of black bears than brown bears clawing or biting humans in the U.S. but that is likely because there are more black bears. As I understand, bears will attack primarily when they feel threatened. People trying to sneak up on a bear, people inching closer to a bear (to get that close up picture), or people trying to touch a bear could all easily be (and sometimes is) interpreted as a threat by a bear.

If great white sharks were furry and 'cute' more people would probably try to get close to and pet them. But then there are some SCUBA divers that do try to pet great white sharks. After all, there are many, many fewer attacks on humans by great white sharks in the U.S. than there are bear attacks.

Wild animals should be respected but respect does not mean trying to cuddle with them.

There are also more incidents of black bears than brown bears clawing or biting humans in the U.S. but that is likely because there are more black bears. As I understand, bears will attack primarily when they feel threatened. People trying to sneak up on a bear, people inching closer to a bear (to get that close up picture), or people trying to touch a bear could all easily be (and sometimes is) interpreted as a threat by a bear.

If great white sharks were furry and 'cute' more people would probably try to get close to and pet them. But then there are some SCUBA divers that do try to pet great white sharks. After all, there are many, many fewer attacks on humans by great white sharks in the U.S. than there are bear attacks.

Wild animals should be respected but respect does not mean trying to cuddle with them.
and interestingly enough the highest human kill count of an induvial ursine goes to a sloth bear

Back
Top Bottom