• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Bears were used in test flights of world’s first supersonic jet bomber

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/the-sid...flights-world-first-supersonic-225331539.html
When the U.S. Air Force was designing its first supersonic jet bomber in the 1950s, it turns out bears were an essential part of the process, helping to test the plane’s new ejection seats during the Cold War, according to i09.com.
The website has put together a summary of the role bears played in testing the supersonic Convair B-58 Hustler. Apparently, because Himalayan and American black bears are reasonably close in size to humans, they were deemed acceptable substitutes, after a team of humans died in an early ejection test.

Great, so now they're training bears to become paratroopers. There's no way that is going to completely blow up in our faces.

Nice job, army. :boom:

I don't know why they bothered using Bears anyway, they've always had a running game, but haven't been particularly good at air superiority.

I don't know why they bothered using Bears anyway, they've always had a running game, but haven't been particularly good at air superiority.
That's the whole point of an ejection system, though. If they had air superiority, they wouldn't need a hail-beary play.

Back
Top Bottom