• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Beat Unknown Soldier at his own game of math.

Other than the obvious reason, that is, because I included yet another error for you or anyone else to spot.
Of course, why didn't I realize that. Now it all your posts makes perfect sense. Ferengi from Star Trek DS 9 come to mind. Utterly unethical and duplicitous.

I am not intimidated or diminished by others who actually have a skill greater than mine, like math. My guess is yiu are picking things off the net and posting in Latex to create an air of competence.

Have you tried posting on math forums where mathematicians hang out?

People sometines end up here after gettig booted oof of other sites.

Other than the obvious reason, that is, because I included yet another error for you or anyone else to spot.
Of course, why didn't I realize that. Now it all your posts makes perfect sense. Ferengi from Star Trek DS 9 come to mind. Utterly unethical and duplicitous.

I am not intimidated or diminished by others who actually have a skill greater than mine, like math. My guess is yiu are picking things off the net and posting in Latex to create an air of competence.

Have you tried posting on math forums where mathematicians hang out?

People sometines end up here after gettig booted oof of other sites.

If you're trying to suggest the answer was 8/3 rather than 8 because the transformation \(x \to 3x\) compresses the width under the curve by a factor of 3, you're doing it wrong.

And like every other error I've inserted into my answers, it was at the tail end with great honking clues preceding it for anyone paying attention.

Why was the answer 8 rather than 4? Because the height of the curve \(y=2 \sin (3x)\) was stretched by a factor of 2.

Anyone who knows anything about transformations on the cartesian plane — I'm talking college algebra level here, the basics needed for any bachelor's degree outside the college of social work — is going to spot the fact the x-axis had also been transformed by a scale factor.

I understand you have vision issues, so I'm not going to take you task for missing these things. But the fact that you literally can't see things doesn't make them less obvious to anyone else, or imply that they've been included to make you feel foolish. They weren't even targeted at you.

And no, we don't hang around posting on "math forums." Good gawd what a ludicrous idea.

Nobody in the history of academia has ever received tenure for their forum posting.

To the extent we collaborate, we work with co-authors on occasion, meeting in person by preference, sometimes presenting preliminary work at conferences where we can provide preprints and judge interest. When we're fairly sure we've got something worthwhile to share, we submit to journals, like any other academic discipline, and wait for feedback from the reviewers.

Juvenal

Hmmm..thought I was quoting Soldier. I have severe diabetic retinopathy. Reading through the multiple quotes in a post can be problematic for me. As is following lenthy sequences of posts..

Being retired a big problem for me is I can no longer easily read books.

I take you to be who you say you are

Sorry for the mistake.

Hmmm..thought I was quoting Soldier. I have severe diabetic retinopathy. Reading through the multiple quotes in a post can be problematic for me. As is following lenthy sequences of posts..
Can that cause difficulties for you to understand mathematics?
Being retired a big problem for me is I can no longer easily read books.
That's unfortunate. Have you explored ways to study math in other ways? In addition to books, I also make use of videos.

In any case, the polite and honest thing to do is admit your limitations and not blame your difficulties on innocent people who are trying to help you.

As I said. I am not the one who claims to be an expert mathematician Soldier, you are.

Your response to the simple problem with coins says it all to me. The simple grade school arithmetic problems you pose as supposedly clever problems says a lot.

I never had use for set theory. On rare occasions I had a reference library, that is what books are for.

Basic math to me.

I measure the time repose of a second order system meaning described a second order differential equation. The response is a damped oscillation with the oscillation period t2 in seconds. The duration of the response is t2 seconds.

What is the differential equation?

You can try search phrases but I don't think you will find easy explicit solution on the net.

When you have some numbers on something which vary, why would you use the arithmetic mean to estimate a mean value?

You have a large box of widgets. You pull a random sample of 100 out d 10,000. The measured mean of a variable is taken. Mathematically why would it be justified as an estimate of the mean of the entire box?

Hint: It is an appliqued calculus question.

Anybody can look at a book and post somethng. Applied math skill is dealing with problems you have not seen before and which do not fit into a tectbook form.

You seem to think the simple problems you post equate to mathemtcal expertise. Test your self on a math forum with matemetcians.

A problem I am sure yo u will shine with.

Juan, Jack, Greta, and Maria are standing around a pile of 100 widgets.

Juan picks 3 and hands 1 to Greta and 1 to Jack.
Greta picks 7 and hands 1 to Jack and takes 1 from Juan.
Greta gives all but 1 to Juan.
Jack picks 4 and gives 2 to Maria, and puts 1 back in the pile.
Maria picks 7 and gives 2 to Juan, 3 to Jack who puts 1 back in the pile.
Gary walks up with 10 widgets and gives 3 to Juan, 2 to Jack, and 5 to Greta.
Greta gives all but 1 to Gary,

How many does each have and how many are in the pile?

Can you do it quickly without using pencil and paper to keep track?

Some basic math problems from my universe.

In a system there is a sine wave signal with frequency 1kz and amplitude 1. There is a corrupting noise source with a normal distribution, with parameters zero mean and a standard deviation 0f .02.

Starting at t= 0 seconds what is the probability of the amplitude of the signal at times 1.0, 1.001, and 250e-6 seconds?

A simple real practical problem in my universe. Something I might ask a junior engineer in an job interview.

Given a linear system such as a control system with a system equation f(S), how would you analytically determine if the system is stable? What would define a stable system?

A lot of it goes back to Bell Labs during WWII. People like Bode who was a mathematician developed what became control systems. There were others like Nichols. I used to have a hard copy of Bode's original book from the 40s.

For clrication on the signal and noise problem y = sin() + noise at any time t.

Juan, Jack, Greta, and Maria are standing around a pile of 100 widgets.

Juan picks 3 and hands 1 to Greta and 1 to Jack.
Greta picks 7 and hands 1 to Jack and takes 1 from Juan.
Greta gives all but 1 to Juan.
Jack picks 4 and gives 2 to Maria, and puts 1 back in the pile.
Maria picks 7 and gives 2 to Juan, 3 to Jack who puts 1 back in the pile.
Gary walks up with 10 widgets and gives 3 to Juan, 2 to Jack, and 5 to Greta.
Greta gives all but 1 to Gary,

How many does each have and how many are in the pile?
I need to know how many widgets Juan, Jack, Greta and Maria have to begin with. Zero each?

The answer to the widget problem is I don't know and don't care. Who would want to solve such a problem? Start with zero inhand, and knock yourself out.

For the answer to the differential equation problem search on rlc circuit second order differential equation for examples.

The answer to the sine wave noise problem is simple, if you understand periodic trigonometric functions and elementary probability theory.

Y = A*sin(2*pi*f*t) + noise(t) where A is peak amplitude, f frequency in Hertz, t time in seconds.

The period in seconds of a sine wave is 1/f. In the equation as t → inf the sine wave repeats at intervals of 1/f. Starting at t0 = 0 y is zero. So at t = 0 and t = 1.001 seconds y = 0 and y will have a 50% probability of zero noise occurring is zero. The range of probabilities will be approximately 0 +- 5 5standard deviations.

At t = 250e-6 seconds y = A*sin(2*pi/4) = 1. The probability range of y at 250e-6 seconds = 1 +- 5 standard deviations. The probability of 1 is 50%.

Related to this problem is ARMA auto regressive moving average. to reduce the noise.

For shits and giggles a nuise reduction example. Scilab script.

Code:
clear

yn = grand(1, 10000, "nor", 0, .1)
n = length(yn)
tmax = 1
dt = tmax/n
t = 0:dt:tmax-dt
f = 1.
y = sin(2*%pi*f*t)  + yn
nfilter = 20
for i = 1: n-nfilter
    _sum = 0
    for j = 0:nfilter-1  //ARMA
            _sum = _sum + y(i+j)
     end
    _avg = _sum/nfilter
     yf(i) = _avg
end     

w1 = scf(1)
clf(w1)
subplot(2,1,1)
plot2d(y)
xgrid
subplot(2,1,2)
plot2d(yf)
xgrid

If you are intectualy curious you can download Sclab,free, and run the script.

My point is posting math you are familiar with and declaring mathematical superiority when others are unfamiliar with demonstrates hubris not expertise.

Would you like another homework problem?

This could be a real implementation.

There are two wheels rotating next to each other on a common axis. Wheel 1 has an angular velocity ω1, wheel 2 ω2.

A magnet is attached to the rim of wheel 1, and a magnetic sensor is attached to the rim of wheel 2.

When the magnet and the sensor align a signal is created. How often will the sensor indicate alignment? This could be part of control system to maintain a phase difference between the two wheels in a machine.

It is all math.

The answer to the widget problem is I don't know and don't care. Who would want to solve such a problem? Start with zero inhand, and knock yourself out.
Please don't be rude. I asked you a polite question, and so I deserve a polite answer.

Anyway, I can see that that problem is just an accounting exercise. It's long and tedious, but to solve it, one method is to set up "accounts" for the pile along with Juan, Jack, Greta, Gary, and Maria. Start with a beginning balance of 100 widgets in the pile account and zero beginning balances in the accounts for Juan, Jack, Greta, and Maria. From then on record the listed transactions in each related account by adjusting the beginning balances in those accounts to an ending balance to reflect the effect of each of the transactions. When Gary comes along with his additional widgets, create an account for him and apply any related transactions to all of the accounts that are affected by what he does with those widgets.

I studied accounting for two years in college, by the way.
For the answer to the differential equation problem search on rlc circuit second order differential equation for examples.

The answer to the sine wave noise problem is simple, if you understand periodic trigonometric functions and elementary probability theory.

Y = A*sin(2*pi*f*t) + noise(t) where A is peak amplitude, f frequency in Hertz, t time in seconds.

The period in seconds of a sine wave is 1/f. In the equation as t → inf the sine wave repeats at intervals of 1/f. Starting at t0 = 0 y is zero. So at t = 0 and t = 1.001 seconds y = 0 and y will have a 50% probability of zero noise occurring is zero. The range of probabilities will be approximately 0 +- 5 5standard deviations.

At t = 250e-6 seconds y = A*sin(2*pi/4) = 1. The probability range of y at 250e-6 seconds = 1 +- 5 standard deviations. The probability of 1 is 50%.

Related to this problem is ARMA auto regressive moving average. to reduce the noise.

For shits and giggles a nuise reduction example. Scilab script.

Code:
clear

yn = grand(1, 10000, "nor", 0, .1)
n = length(yn)
tmax = 1
dt = tmax/n
t = 0:dt:tmax-dt
f = 1.
y = sin(2*%pi*f*t)  + yn
nfilter = 20
for i = 1: n-nfilter
    _sum = 0
    for j = 0:nfilter-1  //ARMA
            _sum = _sum + y(i+j)
     end
    _avg = _sum/nfilter
     yf(i) = _avg
end    

w1 = scf(1)
clf(w1)
subplot(2,1,1)
plot2d(y)
xgrid
subplot(2,1,2)
plot2d(yf)
xgrid

If you are intectualy curious you can download Sclab,free, and run the script.
Everything you've posted here is not pure math but an application and computer code. It's then not relevant to the topic.
My point is posting math you are familiar with and declaring mathematical superiority
Where exactly did I claim "mathematical superiority"? I just post what I know about math and let it speak for itself.
when others are unfamiliar with demonstrates hubris not expertise.
I like hubris especially when it can be backed up.
Would you like another homework problem?
I suppose I would like another problem as long as it's a math problem.
This could be a real implementation.

There are two wheels rotating next to each other on a common axis. Wheel 1 has an angular velocity ω1, wheel 2 ω2.

A magnet is attached to the rim of wheel 1, and a magnetic sensor is attached to the rim of wheel 2.

When the magnet and the sensor align a signal is created. How often will the sensor indicate alignment? This could be part of control system to maintain a phase difference between the two wheels in a machine.

It is all math.
I'll try this one when I have more time.

Well, on thiis and the other thread you told all of us we were all wrong about math and we 'did not get it', but you do.

As to \pure math' so far opu are posting simple algebra and arithmetic problems. Reminds me of high school math.

On the other thread you said for us to prove 2+2 = 4. There is a proof, and was discussed a ways back on the math forum.

There is a mathematician on the forum who is very much into pure math. I gnerally do not post on his math threads because I am not up to it. Start a thread on the math forum Provimg 2 + 2 = 4 and see where it goes.. if you are adventurous.

As the old cliche says it is you who has to live with yourself.

Adios muchacho.

This Board doesn't have a Forum for general-interest puzzles or trivia contests; so I'm going to post a puzzle here.

It has nothing to do with Math (or with Logic or Epistomology) but it DOES relate to something in OP. And it's unlikely to interest anyone who lacks a math-oriented mind.

It is probably quite difficult, so feel free to make this a Game of Twenty Questions: Ask Yes/No questions to zero in on the answer.

PUZZLE: How did I derive this set? :--
{Argentina, Iran, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, Turkey}

This Board doesn't have a Forum for general-interest puzzles or trivia contests; so I'm going to post a puzzle here.

It has nothing to do with Math (or with Logic or Epistomology) but it DOES relate to something in OP. And it's unlikely to interest anyone who lacks a math-oriented mind.

It is probably quite difficult, so feel free to make this a Game of Twenty Questions: Ask Yes/No questions to zero in on the answer.

I was going to say they are all members of the G20 but then.. Iran is not quite a member.

I was going to say they are all members of the G20 but then.. Iran is not quite a member.

Well done! VERY close. And you've not used any Yes/No clues yet.

You're right that only three of the six countries are in the G20. What's special about those three? What's special abut the other three countries in the puzzle set?

Am I correct that the G20 has only 19 "countries" with the EU getting the 20th seat? If so I'd exclude EU and work with the "G19" for puzzles about countries.

Hint: Unknown Soldier introduced a particular set operator in OP of this thread.

Well, on thiis and the other thread you told all of us we were all wrong about math and we 'did not get it', but you do.
I was objecting to the vague babbling on the thread Why does mathematics works? about the relationship between logic and mathematics. Contrary to the rambling on that thread, there is a precise, explicit, and well worked out relationship between logic and mathematics. Blathering out anything about it doesn't advance knowledge. Allow me to post an example of the relationship between logic and math.

Let's say you want to prove that it is not true that all real numbers can't have square roots. This statement is awkward and might be tricky to prove. Fortunately, there is a logically equivalent statement that is much simpler to work with. First, let's come up with a predicate key:

P - 'x is a real number'
Q - 'x might have a square root'

Now, using this statement key we can translate "It is not true that all real numbers don't have square roots" into a logical form. So using the predicate key and some logical operators we have '¬(P ∧ ¬Q)' The symbol '¬' means "not" and the symbol '∧' means "and." Logicians have come up with many important logical equivalences, and as we have it '¬(P ∧ ¬Q) ≡ (P → Q) where '≡' means "is logically equivalent to." This equivalent logical form 'P → Q' is the conditional "if P then Q" or using the predicate key: "If x is a real number, then x might have a square root." That statement is much easier to prove than to prove "It is not true that all real numbers don't have square roots."

So do you now realize that when it comes to logic and mathematics that not anything you say goes? You need to know what you're talking about.
As to \pure math' so far opu are posting simple algebra and arithmetic problems. Reminds me of high school math.
Then you either don't know how to use logic to prove mathematical theorems or don't know high school math! The mathematics I'm posting is college-level or even graduate level. If you're a college math major, then you'll need this kind of math to advance to graduate school.
There is a mathematician on the forum who is very much into pure math. I gnerally do not post on his math threads because I am not up to it. Start a thread on the math forum Provimg 2 + 2 = 4 and see where it goes.. if you are adventurous.
I already did that!
As the old cliche says it is you who has to live with yourself.
Just so I don't need to live with anybody who reacts to things he doesn't understand with fits of jealousy.

You're asking us to read your mind here. There are many ways you could have thought up this set. Sets are arbitrary collections of things. Some sets are fairly obvious if they are denoted using the roster (list) method, but some sets may require set builder notation to explain what they are.

You're asking us to read your mind here. There are many ways you could have thought up this set. Sets are arbitrary collections of things. Some sets are fairly obvious if they are denoted using the roster (list) method, but some sets may require set builder notation to explain what they are.

No. What you say might apply to a BAD puzzle constructed by a bad puzzle designer. ("Same to you, Bud!")
But GOOD puzzles have nice non-arbitrary solutions. Good puzzles can be very difficult. If nobody here can solve this puzzle, I've clearly made it too hard. But if five or more can solve it, it's too easy!

This one IS difficult -- that's why I suggested a series of Yes/No questions to "zero in". BUT Gospel got a big part of the solution already without asking a question.

I've already mentioned that I use a set operator from your OP. Of course I mean the S________ ____E____E.
Three of the members of the set are in the G19; three are not. What is the G19 intended to represent anyway? Is there a S________ ____E____E that might logically be applied?

The G20 is well-known, but I talk about the "G19." Sorry, I didn't intend to obfuscate -- it's just that the G20 has only nineteen member countries ... PLUS the European Union.

To make it a puzzle about the G20 instead of the "G19", Perhaps an alternate puzzle set should be considered instead, similar to the above but with two more elements:

{Argentina, European Union, Iran, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey}

No. What you say might apply to a BAD puzzle constructed by a bad puzzle designer. ("Same to you, Bud!")
There's no need to snip. Your puzzle is ambiguous because the set {Argentina, Iran, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, Turkey} can be derived in many different ways. It's perfectly legitimate, for example, to describe it as the names of nations that Swammerdami posted on the thread.
But GOOD puzzles have nice non-arbitrary solutions.
The solution to your puzzle might not be arbitrary but what you had in mind when making it up clearly is arbitrary.

Allow me to explain by posting a puzzle of my own that's similar to your puzzle. How did I derive the set A = {1, 2}? One possibility is that I wanted to list the two positive integers that are less than or equal any positive integer greater than 2. Another possibility is that I wanted to list the real-number solutions to the equation (x - 1)(x - 2) = 0. In fact, if n is any positive integer, then A = {1, 2} is the solution set of the equation (x -1)^n(x - 2). So there is literally an infinite number of ways I could have come up with set A = {1, 2}.

Fortunately, mathematicians are well aware of this problem of set-description ambiguity and have come up with a solution. Your set and my set are both described as lists of the elements in our sets. Denoting a set that way is known as the "roster method." The roster method can often be ambiguous as I've just explained. To remove the ambiguity, set-builder notation comes to the rescue. So set A = {1, 2) = {x ∈ R | (x - 1)^4(x - 2) = 0} which is read "x is a real number such that (x - 1)^4(x - 2) = 0." See that? Now you should be aware of exactly what is significant about A = {1, 2}.
I've already mentioned that I use a set operator from your OP. Of course I mean the S________ ____E____E.
Three of the members of the set are in the G19; three are not. What is the G19 intended to represent anyway? Is there a S________ ____E____E that might logically be applied?
I don't know what G19 is intended to represent. You never mentioned it in your puzzle.

Let's recapitulate. Mine is NOT a Math Puzzle (it isn't even framed as a math topic). It was OFF_TOPIC in this thread.
I SHOULD have started a "Guessing Game" thread in the Lounge, but wasn't sure there'd be enough interest.
Do others want this to be a thread for posting interesting recreational math puzzles? I'll enclose one at the end.

The only one playing along is Gospel, and he submitted only a single post. I like to imagine math-inclined Infidels would click hen Swammi bumps this thread and -- although it's NOT a math puzzle -- it tends to adhere to that bent.

Here's the puzzle, restated briefly. I'll let Gospel fill in with any gleanings.

Puzzle:
This 8-sized set
{Argentina, European Union, South Africa, Turkey}
UNION​

{Iran, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland }​

is the Symmetric Difference between two other sets.​
What are those two other sets?

I expect Mr. Soldier to ask whether he should infer anything from the breakout into two 4-sized sets. I reply now that I am indifferent.

There's no need to snip.
I didn't intend to snip or snit, let alone resort to pejorative. It just seemed the tersest way to direct to the meme.
Your puzzle is ambiguous because the set {Argentina, Iran, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, Turkey} can be derived in many different ways. It's perfectly legitimate, for example, to describe it as the names of nations that Swammerdami posted on the thread.
But GOOD puzzles have nice non-arbitrary solutions.
The solution to your puzzle might not be arbitrary but what you had in mind when making it up clearly is arbitrary.
Can we agree to use a modified Kolmogorov complexity for measuring arbitrariness?
Allow me to explain by posting a puzzle of my own that's similar to your puzzle. How did I derive the set A = {1, 2}? One possibility is that I wanted to list the two positive integers that are less than or equal any positive integer greater than 2. Another possibility is that I wanted to list the real-number solutions to the equation (x - 1)(x - 2) = 0. In fact, if n is any positive integer, then A = {1, 2} is the solution set of the equation (x -1)^n(x - 2). So there is literally an infinite number of ways I could have come up with set A = {1, 2}.

Fortunately, mathematicians are well aware of this problem of set-description ambiguity and have come up with a solution. Your set and my set are both described as lists of the elements in our sets. Denoting a set that way is known as the "roster method." The roster method can often be ambiguous as I've just explained. To remove the ambiguity, set-builder notation comes to the rescue. So set A = {1, 2) = {x ∈ R | (x - 1)^4(x - 2) = 0} which is read "x is a real number such that (x - 1)^4(x - 2) = 0." See that? Now you should be aware of exactly what is significant about A = {1, 2}.

I solicited Yes/No questions.
However no questions have been offered excepting Mr. Soldier's, paraphrased as
How do we know the "solution" isn't arbitrary?​
Briefly, you choose to trust or not trust the puzzle composer. First let's review the criteria for an entertaining puzzle:

* Fun. In the general population MANY people don't find puzzles fun. Puzzle fans are more plentiful on SOME message-boards.

* Pleasant solution. In extreme cases, the razzle-dazzle factor.

* Challenge. Top solvers may need severe challenge to maximize fun. This is closely related to the next trait.

* Difficulty. Obviously a puzzle can be TOO difficult. I like to shoot for "one or more on the Board should solve it." I did know this one is difficult, so I encouraged the "Twenty Questions" game to run on the same puzzle concurrently.

* Low Kolmogorov Modified Complexity. We're all mathematicians here :) :cool: and know that is a measure of "arbitrariness."

3.169399371105280974944593207141978979253846564333827450288407916939 is arbitrary.
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307 has very low Kolm'ov Complexity
Start a new thread if you don't understand why we'll want to modify the Kolmogorov measure.

Back
Top Bottom