• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Beyonce bows to the twitter mob, drops "problematic" word

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
My goodness, the ever vigilant snowflakes have managed to get Beyonce to change the lyric in her song. It took me a while to actually find the offensive word that was causing such outrage;

It’s not very often that I don’t know what to say, rendered speechless by ignorance, sadness and a simmering anger born of bone-deep exhaustion. But that’s how I feel right now. Six weeks ago I called out American singer, Lizzo, on Twitter for her use of an ableist slur (“spaz”) in a new song. That tweet of mine – which explained how the slur was connected to my disability, cerebral palsy – took me less than five minutes to write and it went viral, landing on the front page of global news outlets including the BBC, New York Times and the Washington Post. I thought we’d changed the music industry and started a global conversation about why ableist language – intentional or not – has no place in music. I found out by way of a snarky mention on Twitter asking if I planned to tell Queen Bey to “do better” like I had with Lizzo. My heart sank. Here we were again, but this time the stakes feel higher. Calling this one out is a whole other level.

Teh Gruaniad

What happened to artistic integrity?

"You're not artistic and you have no integrity".

My goodness, the ever vigilant snowflakes have managed to get Beyonce to change the lyric in her song. It took me a while to actually find the offensive word that was causing such outrage;
Yes, and we all remember how the right-wing rallied to the aid of the Dixie Chicks and their right to free speech when they were critical of President George W. Bush regarding the Iraq War.

Yes, and we all remember how the right-wing rallied to the aid of the Dixie Chicks and their right to free speech when they were critical of President George W. Bush regarding the Iraq War.
LOL!

It’s not very often that I don’t know what to say, rendered speechless by ignorance, sadness and a simmering anger born of bone-deep exhaustion. But that’s how I feel right now. Six weeks ago I called out American singer, Lizzo, on Twitter for her use of an ableist slur (“spaz”) in a new song. That tweet of mine – which explained how the slur was connected to my disability, cerebral palsy – took me less than five minutes to write and it went viral, landing on the front page of global news outlets including the BBC, New York Times and the Washington Post. I thought we’d changed the music industry and started a global conversation about why ableist language – intentional or not – has no place in music. I found out by way of a snarky mention on Twitter asking if I planned to tell Queen Bey to “do better” like I had with Lizzo. My heart sank. Here we were again, but this time the stakes feel higher. Calling this one out is a whole other level.

Teh Gruaniad

What happened to artistic integrity?

"You're not artistic and you have no integrity".
“Spaz” is very offensive. Instead, she can use the N word repeatedly or call women “hoes.” That would be okay.

That is so funny! Yea, right wingers invented "cancel culture, outrage culture, snowflakes, and etc.". It's just that their side is so much better with cute phrases and political language. I grew up in the 1980s. Right wingers were always boycotting something. They'd boycott music groups, companies, teams or whatever. I remember as a young kid going with my family to a comedy event. And there was this incredibly funny group of cross dressing men doing their routine. There was a small group of religious people protesting the event for whatever reason. One of them threw a bible and hit one of the cross dressers in the back. I remember the cross dresser was kinda bent over and was wearing this pink floral dress. He turned around and looked mad. Started going toward the bible thumpers. The thumpers shrieked and ran for their life with the big guy in the floral dress chasing after them. It was so funny...

Back
Top Bottom