• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Biden labels massacre of Armenians in WWI as "genocide"

The funny thing is, Nazis are only unvarnished baddies when you're taking about them as the unquestioned objects of historical narrativism, or as the storybook villains in a TV series.

Bingo!

With all the revisionism and white washing of U.S. history, it's difficult to find out that Hitler was a hero here, until he wasn't. Charles Lindbergh was a Nazi. Hitler had a framed portrait of Henry Ford in his office.
The USA supported Nazis until the Nazis interfered with business.
Tom
Charles Lindbergh
In the years before the United States entered World War II, Lindbergh's non-interventionist stance and statements about Jews led some to suspect that he was a Nazi sympathizer, although Lindbergh never publicly stated support for Nazi Germany.

Charles Lindbergh
In the years before the United States entered World War II, Lindbergh's non-interventionist stance and statements about Jews led some to suspect that he was a Nazi sympathizer, although Lindbergh never publicly stated support for Nazi Germany.

The ideals or cultural, ethnic and racial purity was the Zeitgeist. The German Nazi movement was only one expression of this. Lindbergh, in his own time he was just a forward thinking intellectual keeping up with the ideas and ideals of his own age. He fits into the same bag. Saying he wasn't a Nazi because he wasn't a member of the party, is nitpicking IMHO. The American Nazi party, ie German American Bund, was not an American independent thing. No proud patriot or American hero would be a member of that.

If the label Nazi is a description of a belief, rather than a club membership, then he was a Nazi.

edit:

Here's a great little short film about the American Nazi parties biggest rally, 20 000 attended. Take note of the strong German accent of the leader. It was held in 1939. A couple of months later the party was gone.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2-E5DHQMbY[/YOUTUBE]

The funny thing is, Nazis are only unvarnished baddies when you're taking about them as the unquestioned objects of historical narrativism, or as the storybook villains in a TV series.

Bingo!

With all the revisionism and white washing of U.S. history, it's difficult to find out that Hitler was a hero here, until he wasn't. Charles Lindbergh was a Nazi. Hitler had a framed portrait of Henry Ford in his office.
The USA supported Nazis until the Nazis interfered with business.
Tom

Exaggerate much? I'm sorry to tell you this but the The Plot Against America was fiction.

Charles Lindbergh

The ideals or cultural, ethnic and racial purity was the Zeitgeist. The German Nazi movement was only one expression of this. ...

If the label Nazi is a description of a belief, rather than a club membership, then he was a Nazi.

You just said it yourself. The NAZI party expressed that Zeitgeist, but stood for a much broader agenda that Lindbergh may not have identified with or supported. One thing that hasn't changed is peoples' desire to pigeon-hole everyone into us and them. Lindbergh was anti-Semitic therefore he was a NAZI. Being anti-Semitic is bad enough on its own without making a strawman out of it.

ETA - Couldn't watch your video for some reason.

The ideals or cultural, ethnic and racial purity was the Zeitgeist. The German Nazi movement was only one expression of this. ...

You just said it yourself. The NAZI party expressed that Zeitgeist, but stood for a much broader agenda that Lindbergh may not have identified with or supported. One thing that hasn't changed is peoples' desire to pigeon-hole everyone into us and them. Lindbergh was anti-Semitic therefore he was a NAZI. Being anti-Semitic is bad enough on its own without making a strawman out of it.

I don't think you understood what I said. Yes, I think we should equate him with being a Nazi regardless if he was a member of the party. It's a pigeon hole that he fits into snuggly.

I don't think you understood what I said. Yes, I think we should equate him with being a Nazi regardless if he was a member of the party. It's a pigeon hole that he fits into snuggly.

Then you can explain why, since not everyone who believes in cultural, ethnic and racial purity is a NAZI. At least not outside of Europe. I'll leave it up to you to enlighten us on that.

Then you can explain why, since not everyone who believes in cultural, ethnic and racial purity is a NAZI. At least not outside of Europe. I'll leave it up to you to enlighten us on that.

He was for Eugenics. A big topic in the 1920's and 1930'ies was the problem of social welfare, the advance of medicine, keeping alive those who nature would otherwise deem as unfit. This is a movement obsessed with racial purity. It was about sterilization of those deemed unfit to procreate.

Since we hadn't discovered DNA yet, we know today that it was all pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo. But they coached their feelings of ickyness and uncomfortability around anybody who wasn't seen as normal in medical terminology, as if they were diseases and cancers that needed to be expunged from the national body. These people were all convinced they were good people. They all saw themselves as the saviours of mankind.

That's what I mean when I call somebody a Nazi. It's short hand for this way of thinking.

He was for Eugenics. A big topic in the 1920's and 1930'ies was the problem of social welfare, the advance of medicine, keeping alive those who nature would otherwise deem as unfit. This is a movement obsessed with racial purity. It was about sterilization of those deemed unfit to procreate.

Since we hadn't discovered DNA yet, we know today that it was all pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo. But they coached their feelings of ickyness and uncomfortability around anybody who wasn't seen as normal in medical terminology, as if they were diseases and cancers that needed to be expunged from the national body. These people were all convinced they were good people. They all saw themselves as the saviours of mankind.

That's what I mean when I call somebody a Nazi. It's short hand for this way of thinking.

Thanks. I respect your opinion and share your concerns about bigotry and nationalism. It's just that calling someone a NAZI or Nazi might carry a lot of other meanings. Militarism, Imperialism, Fascism, etc.

Back
Top Bottom