• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Billion + believe in Satan. Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic Christian & esoteric ecumenist
Billion + believe in Satan. Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?

We must save our children from foolish belief in the supernatural.

Education is the only tool that we have to drag ourselves and our children out of ignorance and superstition and that education should include that it is foolish to read myth literally. No more Dark Ages should be allowed.

Comparative Religion should be taught to insure that no child is lost to creationist intellectual dissonance. We must expose our children to Comparative Religion as soon as they can understand Evolution which would be taught alongside of it.

To do less would be shirking our duty to our children and their young minds. If you do not supports this type of all-inclusive education, please show why you oppose it?

Remember that when President Bush backed up stem cell research, it gave other countries a chance to advance away from the U.S. and hurt the U.S economy.

If the U.S. fails to educate it’s children properly in Comparative Religion and Evolution --- and the various sciences that stem from it, --- the U.S. will shrink it’s economy and power as compared to those countries who have a fuller and more intelligent education program.

Do you agree that it is the duty of the U.S. education system to maintain a first world standard of education in the teaching of Creationism, Comparative Religion and Evolution, --- and catch up to more intelligent countries?

Regards
DL

Do you agree that it is the duty of the U.S. education system to maintain a first world standard of education in the teaching of Creationism, Comparative Religion and Evolution, --- and catch up to more intelligent countries?

Regards
DL
There is no U.S. education system. And you'll never see mandatory comparative religious education in U.S. schools. Too threatening, though it would be nice to see religion disappear, which it would if we did just that.

Regards
DL
There is no U.S. education system. And you'll never see mandatory comparative religious education in U.S. schools. Too threatening, though it would be nice to see religion disappear, which it would if we did just that.

Indeed. Over time, you are likely correct.

I have not given up on a better standard though.

Americans may be slow but they are not hopeless.

Regards
DL

I think comparative religion should be a part of a school curriculum, including the creation myths that are associated with each religion.

I think comparative religion should be a part of a school curriculum, including the creation myths that are associated with each religion.

I agree. Thanks.

Every secular person should agree.
The secular adult world is better educated in religion than the religious world and that indicates a secular interest in religious studies. If secular parents want to know and teach themselves religious studies, it follows that they would not mind starting their secular interest in religion earlier for their children. They would vote for a more intelligent level of religious education. It would improve on what is being taught to religious children today.

It is also the duty of the secular world to insure that it's future members are not as deluded by superstitious belief as their parents. The tipping point of belief is fast approaching and duty says that we should facilitate change.

Is a good knowledge base a good defence against superstition?

Yes it is.

Regards
DL

Yes, by all means teach comparative religion - just the facts mind you. Also, teaching critical thinking earlier instead of in college would be helpful too.

Yes, by all means teach comparative religion - just the facts mind you. Also, teaching critical thinking earlier instead of in college would be helpful too.
If we taught critical thinking, we wouldn't need comparitive religion.

I think that would work better in the long run, anyway. We can justify a need for critical thought by pointing at advertising, internet scams, election years and financial planning. We don't have to make it a direct attempt to make religions look silly, because that'll get people all excited.

If we make comparitive religion part of the curricula, parents will have their kids removed rather than be exposed to the lies of false religions. They'll accuse the teacher or the sponsorts of the course as trying to confuse their kids. "Obama wants to teach my kids that being gay is normal and doing rain dances is acceptable!"
And some teachers will take the opportunity to teach their sect as true, and while 'comparing' they'll point out that all are false.

I think the whole topic just lends itself to abuses and lawsuits.

It is also the duty of the secular world to insure that it's future members are not as deluded by superstitious belief as their parents.
Exactly how is that a duty?
And how does that compare to the christains who feel it's their duty to share God's word with everyone?

The Constitution protects religious freedom. How do you read it such that it allows us to separate kids from their religious beliefs?

Regards
DL
My daughter's 6th grade world history class did have a 9 week session on comparative religions although they only touched on the top six world religions.

My daughter's 6th grade world history class did have a 9 week session on comparative religions although they only touched on the top six world religions.
That's pretty sweet. If that were tried in my district there would be howls.

Regardless of whether or not comparative religion is taught, let's keep evolution in the science class, where it belongs.

Two different categories: creation myths being articles of religion and faith, and evolution being a scientific explanation for a body of empirical evidence. Science and religion, like oil and water, do not mix.

That's pretty sweet. If that were tried in my district there would be howls.
Her school, although public, is really different than most. I think it's because it's a performing arts school.

If we taught critical thinking, we wouldn't need comparitive religion.

I think that would work better in the long run, anyway. We can justify a need for critical thought by pointing at advertising, internet scams, election years and financial planning. We don't have to make it a direct attempt to make religions look silly, because that'll get people all excited.

If we make comparitive religion part of the curricula, parents will have their kids removed rather than be exposed to the lies of false religions. They'll accuse the teacher or the sponsorts of the course as trying to confuse their kids. "Obama wants to teach my kids that being gay is normal and doing rain dances is acceptable!"
And some teachers will take the opportunity to teach their sect as true, and while 'comparing' they'll point out that all are false.

I think the whole topic just lends itself to abuses and lawsuits.

Part of the beauty of it. It brings religion out into the open where people will see it and what it is doing to our children.

Regards
DL

It is also the duty of the secular world to insure that it's future members are not as deluded by superstitious belief as their parents.
Exactly how is that a duty?
And how does that compare to the christains who feel it's their duty to share God's word with everyone?

The Constitution protects religious freedom. How do you read it such that it allows us to separate kids from their religious beliefs?

Teaching the various creation myths is not separating children from their beliefs. It is making them look at them in light of what the rest of the world believes.

I am a Canadian and am not impressed by your foolish constitution. Ours is better.

Is it not the duty of all citizens to try to have their children as well educated as possible?

Have you looked at the stats lately that show how low your standards are getting as compared to the rest of the world?

Regards
DL

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.copleston.suffolk.sch.uk/religious-studies

That was apparently taken from the U.K. who are definitely ahead of the U.S.

Regards
DL

Regardless of whether or not comparative religion is taught, let's keep evolution in the science class, where it belongs.

The greater part of it for sure but an outline does belong with the various creationist myths to add just a bit of thought to the whole program.

Regards
DL

Two different categories: creation myths being articles of religion and faith, and evolution being a scientific explanation for a body of empirical evidence. Science and religion, like oil and water, do not mix.

Look at any religion forum and you will see them mix.

That type of discussion is what makes comparing creation myths to evolution interesting. That is what is required to save our children from foolish supernatural belief.

Regards
DL

That type of discussion is what makes comparing creation myths to evolution interesting. That is what is required to save our children from foolish supernatural belief.

Why? We don't discuss that in schools over here, and kids here are in no danger of growing up with supernatural beliefs. And that with an education system that really only talks about religion in history lessons; and maybe vaguely addresses its basic beliefs in sociology classes in terms of how those beliefs can affect other shit. I don't see why you need schools to address creation myths at all; they're not particular useful things to know. If you want to save children from supernatural belief, then you need an education system that doesn't really touch upon the beliefs themselves except where its objectively relevant to the flow of history. Who cares that Christians believe Jesus died for their sins? That's completely irrelevant to understanding christianity's impact on history. Same goes for how Christianity thinks the world was created. It just doesn't matter. It's a footnote at best. Knowing the different beliefs between protestants and catholics is far more important, objectively, when it comes to understanding the grand flow of history; and even there you could suffice with a simple "these motherfuckers believed something else than these motherfuckers, and they went to war; here's how that war went."

Part of the beauty of it. It brings religion out into the open where people will see it and what it is doing to our children.
Why would we need a class to do that?
People who 'see' what religion is doing to our kids already either approve or disapprove. Some of them quite vocally.
This plan won't change anything except get people to fight over controlling the content.

Teaching the various creation myths is not separating children from their beliefs. It is making them look at them in light of what the rest of the world believes.
But your apparent goal in all of this is to separate kids from the religion they're being raised in.
Again, what makes that a 'duty.'
I am a Canadian and am not impressed by your foolish constitution. Ours is better.
Then stop using inclusive plural pronouns.
Is it not the duty of all citizens to try to have their children as well educated as possible?
I'm asking you, what makes that a duty? Asking the question back isn't an answer.
it's a reply, but a useless one.
Have you looked at the stats lately that show how low your standards are getting as compared to the rest of the world?
Still not answreing the question asked of you...

Back
Top Bottom