• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Birds are so funny when they get to fucking with other animals

The Brown Thrashers showed up today. I think my favorite bird. Bronze and white, sleek, and in control.

I've seen them dip their head and charge groups of grackles and red-wing blackbirds under the feeders.

Really cool birds.

The Brown Thrashers showed up today. I think my favorite bird. Bronze and white, sleek, and in control.

I've seen them dip their head and charge groups of grackles and red-wing blackbirds under the feeders.

Really cool birds.

People underestimate birds so often. I once watched sparrows, finches and robins get together to help one finch family that had a late nesting guard against a bluejay that tried invading. The way they moved, flew, took it on in small groups from different angles and when one f the robins rope and flapped oddly I thought it got hurt, but when the bluejay made a half hearted move that direction, the robin flew up and around my grandmas house to twitter madly at the larger bird. Eventually it gave up and most of the bird groups went away to leave the little finch family to their own.

They're the favorite to watch all day, especially young ones. Nevermind what they learn in lab studies, like the one part who learned how to identify objects by shape, how many corners, colors and type of matter as well as understanding the concept of zero or none.

I wish we had more types, and I lived in a better area for wildlife, far less human and human machines.

My favorite birds are ravens and lyre birds, so clever and well formed.

The Kirtland's Warblers will be returning soon.
Kirtland's warbler (Setophaga kirtlandii), also known as the jack pine warbler, is a small songbird of the New World warbler family (Parulidae), named after Jared P. Kirtland, an Ohio doctor and amateur naturalist. Nearly extinct just 50 years ago, it is well on its way to recovery. It requires large areas (> 160 acres) of dense young jack pine for its breeding habitat. This habitat was historically created by wildfire, but today is primarily created through the harvest of mature jack pine, and planting of jack pine seedlings.

Since the mid-19th century at least it has become a restricted-range endemic species. Almost the entire population spends the spring and summer in Southern Ontario or the northeastern Lower Peninsula of Michigan and winters in The Bahamas.

Winters in the Bahamas. Damn smart bird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirtland%27s_warbler

The Kirtland's Warblers will be returning soon.
Kirtland's warbler (Setophaga kirtlandii), also known as the jack pine warbler, is a small songbird of the New World warbler family (Parulidae), named after Jared P. Kirtland, an Ohio doctor and amateur naturalist. Nearly extinct just 50 years ago, it is well on its way to recovery. It requires large areas (> 160 acres) of dense young jack pine for its breeding habitat. This habitat was historically created by wildfire, but today is primarily created through the harvest of mature jack pine, and planting of jack pine seedlings.

Since the mid-19th century at least it has become a restricted-range endemic species. Almost the entire population spends the spring and summer in Southern Ontario or the northeastern Lower Peninsula of Michigan and winters in The Bahamas.

Winters in the Bahamas. Damn smart bird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirtland%27s_warbler

All birds that weather winter in the Bahamas are smarter and more physically adept than us, lolz.

The Brown Thrasher was in a tree in the backyard singing yesterday while I worked in one of my flowerbeds.

What a wonderful serenade. If you've never heard one sing, you're missing out.

We have a nesting pair of cardinals among some cane on our back yard. These can be the most ferocious little birds around despite their smallish size. I have seen one attack a bluejay and knock it to the ground and then attack it repeatedly. It was trying to inflict pain and damage on the bluejay. The bluejay finally flew off with the cardinal right behind it. I have heard our cardinal shriek unholy hell at a neighborhood cat climbing the fence. Loud and obnoxious.
They don't bother the grackles though.

Reminds me of ~35 years ago. The mockingbirds were harassing my mother's cat. One swooped in behind and pecked? grabbed some fur? and said cat reacts by trying to grab the offending bird.

However, what it looked like was the bird swooping in and hitting the cat so hard the cat was flipped over.

However, what it looked like was the bird swooping in and hitting the cat so hard the cat was flipped over.

I can picture that perfectly.

My Harris Sparrows haven't shown themselves yet. Hopefully soon.

Back
Top Bottom