• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Buddhism canonically accepts the existence of psychic powers

tantric

Basic Beliefs
rational buddhism
y'all haters are gonna love this.....we call them 'iddhi' . for me, it's just another impossible thing to believe before breakfast.

y'all haters are gonna love this.....we call them 'iddhi' . for me, it's just another impossible thing to believe before breakfast.
So, you believe in psychic powers.
Others on this board believe in talking snakes, talking donkeys.
I believe in talking apes.

Exactly why would I 'hate' this? Or even give a shit about this, really?

Does this mean that a Buddhist Monk can't bang his head against a solid wall?

PS I'm pretty sure I've seen a orangutan talking, though admittedly it wasn't very coherent.

Good for you. You might want to get in touch with James "the Amazing" Randi. He's got a million dollars waiting for you if the psychic powers you believe in can be verified. Good luck. Although, maybe, as a Buddist, you're not too interested in material wealth, but you could always give it to a charity somewhere, right?

P.S. I think you're in the wrong place if you're looking for "haters". Try some Trump supporter sites; I hear they're doing a good line in hate these days.

I heard the James Randi foundation doesn't do the challenge any more

You're right, they terminated it when Randi retired and funded the James Randi Educational Foundation instead, offering grants to promote critical thinking. A huge blow for all those psychics queueing up to win the million ...

You're right, they terminated it when Randi retired and funded the James Randi Educational Foundation instead, offering grants to promote critical thinking. A huge blow for all those psychics queueing up to win the million ...

Hey, if they couldn't be bothered to look into the future and see that they were operating on a deadline to provide this proof then they don't deserve the money.

I guess Buddhism also canonically accepts the existence of lazy-assed bitches who can't even pry their obese asses off the couch for a million bucks.

by 'haters' i meant those who like to yell 'woo' at buddhism, despite most of us being utterly rational. my experience with this is that in the 90s, when i was ingesting phenomenal amounts of dxm, a group of transcendent alien bodhisattvas (coincidence control central) taught me to manipulate reality by collapsing probability fields. it got out of hand - you can read about it on my blog, 'confessions of a weirdness magnet'. still, i did manage to create a sui generis western buddhism even if part of that involves starchild/george clinton from p-funk being the image of the next buddha.

part of the deal is that you're not supposed to actually use these powers to change anything - by the time you get them, you're pretty much living in bliss anyway.

part of the deal is that you're not supposed to actually use these powers to change anything - by the time you get them, you're pretty much living in bliss anyway.

So, it's like Invisible Boy from Mystery Men. He can turn invisible so long as his eyes are closed and nobody's looking at him. A fine power, to be sure, but one of limited use.

by 'haters' i meant those who like to yell 'woo' at buddhism, despite most of us being utterly rational.
Who would yell 'woo' at a belief system, like buddhism? Or Catholicism? Or Mormonism?

'Woo' is reserved for those moments when someone says, "I have evidence for (telepathy, angels, fae, UFOs, white supremacy, Sasquatch) and the evidence turns out to be 'i feel really strongly that it's true.'

So when you said "haters", you didn't mean "haters"? Oh, okay. My bad. I thought, when you said "haters", that you meant "haters". Just me being silly and taking words to mean what they're supposed to mean, again. :rolleyes:

Do people really call buddhism "woo", though? I suppose some of the more extreme forms might qualify for that, although the basic buddhism, form what I've learned and people I know, seems to be more about meditation and becoming a better person, which can't be too bad. All the same, though ... psychic powers? Sorry, but, "woo". At least until I see some evidence to support it. Does that make me a hater?

apologize for the haters bit. i'm geeked to the gills, perhaps not showing good judgement. my bad.

Back
Top Bottom