• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

But will it impact voters in November?

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
A lot of crazy shit going on obviously. The nation is in turmoil. Trump's actions are so disgusting that military leaders like Mattis and Mullen, even Pat fucking Robertson are saying he’s wrong.

But who gives a fuck?

That’s the real issue. Look on Facebook and see what people are saying. It’s insane. Trump is the greatest President ever for clearing out Lafayette Park. The military should be called in and throw these bastards out. They should be shot. They should be rounded up and sent off to gitmo. I just saw a picture of troops (guard or something) kneeling with the protestors and the comments were all about how these troops should be court martialed. You can’t make this up. I know of no trump supporter from 2016 who doesn’t still support everything he does. Do you know anyone who has changed his mind? Aside from Mattis. And I’m not sure he ever really supported him to begin with.

He may not win re-election but I am very pessimistic about Biden's chances. And if it’s close, Trump will fight it and he has the tools to do so.

SLD

On the positive side: T's approval rating stands just shy of 43%, and he needs key independent/disaffected Dems in states like WI, MI, PA to give him the breakout he needs. Right now, the polls aren't showing a replay of '16, and his behavior over the past 40 months hasn't shown that he can inspire those votes. He's a malignant "genius" at suckling his base, but as he says "dumb as a rock" at understanding how to drag others aboard.
On the negative: Presidential elections tend to be close -- Trump is already calling an election with a preponderance of mail-ins to be fraudulent. How hard will it be for T and his subservient wretch of an AG to find "substantial fraud" in any number of the hundreds of Congressional districts in the country -- they will take any hints of fraud and add T's pixie dust of crazy conspiracy theories and cook up a demonic brew (er -- make that legal brief) to take to SCOTUS. He could demand that the election results be declared invalid or that some eons-long new process be devised to recount. A man with no moral compass won't care what this does to the country, as long as he can avoid the most dreaded word in Trumpistan: loser.

On the positive side: T's approval rating stands just shy of 43%, and he needs key independent/disaffected Dems in states like WI, MI, PA to give him the breakout he needs. Right now, the polls aren't showing a replay of '16, and his behavior over the past 40 months hasn't shown that he can inspire those votes. He's a malignant "genius" at suckling his base, but as he says "dumb as a rock" at understanding how to drag others aboard.
On the negative: Presidential elections tend to be close -- Trump is already calling an election with a preponderance of mail-ins to be fraudulent. How hard will it be for T and his subservient wretch of an AG to find "substantial fraud" in any number of the hundreds of Congressional districts in the country -- they will take any hints of fraud and add T's pixie dust of crazy conspiracy theories and cook up a demonic brew (er -- make that legal brief) to take to SCOTUS. He could demand that the election results be declared invalid or that some eons-long new process be devised to recount. A man with no moral compass won't care what this does to the country, as long as he can avoid the most dreaded word in Trumpistan: loser.

I learned in 16 that the polls are fucked up. I don’t trust them. For years we’ve been hearing that the latest scandal from FFvC should spell his doom. He can’t possibly recover from this. And yet he won the nomination. But he can’t possibly win the general election. But here we are. Now I hear the same thing from the media I heard in 16, and I hope they’re right. But I am skeptical.

I find it incredible that Obama wasn't above 50% at this point of time either... and he was working to deal with a Great Recession he inherited, and getting the ACA passed.

Trump needs to help be responsible for making a pandemic worse, respond terribly to civil unrest (gas citizens to pose with a bible and have disturbing propaganda photos taken in a church), in order to get his numbers below Obama's.

It is enough to suggest the ACA will get seniors killed to get under-50 ratings for a Democrat where as Trump has to actually get tens of thousands of seniors actually killed to suppress his approval rating. And it is still above 40%!

If a Cat 5 hurricane hits North Carolina, I can just see Trump's response on Twitter whining about the convention and telling the Democrat Governor to make its own FEMA, and then his poll numbers dropping 1%.

I still feel pretty confident that Trump is going to get tossed out of office in the November election. He just scrapped by in 2016 against Hilary Clinton who was not even that popular with her Democratic supports.

Biden is not the perfect candidate, but what candidate is? I like him. This country needs to start taking some steps back to normalcy and I think he can help that process.

Am also encouraged by Generals Mattis and Allen expressing their displeasure with Trump.

Couple things: A lot of pro-trump noise you see on FB, twitter, IG, etc. are literally bots and russians. I don't under-playthe influence they have, but the signal to noise ratio is pretty messed up.

The polls are all messed up for a lot of the same reason. Online polls in particular can be influenced quite easily by bots and non_US sources. Some try to correct for the, but most are too lazy and just give raw numbers as if they are meaningful.

Lots of assholes do exist in the US and will still vote for the shithead. Hard to say how many this time around. The hardcore cult of personality types aren't going to be swayed by anything, even their own family dying around them, but there's a significant chunk that voted for the trumpolini last time who won't this time. They may not be motivated enough to vote for Biden, but they will likely sit out this november.

The one unquantifiable element is how many independents / conservatives would be able to vote for a good ole boy like Biden verses not capable of voting for Hilary Clinton. Any larger than tiny margin there provides Biden a win.

I learned in 16 that the polls are fucked up. I don’t trust them. For years we’ve been hearing that the latest scandal from FFvC should spell his doom. He can’t possibly recover from this. And yet he won the nomination. But he can’t possibly win the general election. But here we are. Now I hear the same thing from the media I heard in 16, and I hope they’re right. But I am skeptical.
Sure polls right now/today, don't mean a lot for November. The 2018 vote was real and a solid anti-Clownstick message. But, a few days before the 2016 election (never mind the Electoral College):
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-is-just-a-normal-polling-error-behind-clinton/
Four years ago, an average of survey results the week before the election had Obama winning by 1.2 percentage points. He actually beat Mitt Romney by 3.9 points.

If that 2.7-point error doesn’t sound like very much to you, well, it’s very close to what Donald Trump needs to overtake Hillary Clinton in the popular vote. She leads by 3.3 points in our polls-only forecast.

<snip>
And to be clear, we shouldn’t expect a polling error just because national polls struggled in the 2012 presidential election and in some international votes since then. The polling in the 2004 and 2008 presidential elections was quite good (after two elections in which the national polls were well off the mark). Also, in half of the contests since 1968, the final polls missed by a percentage point or less.

Still, Clinton’s lead is small enough that it wouldn’t take more than a normal amount of polling error to wipe the lead out and leave Trump the winner of the national popular vote. If Clinton wins by 3 percentage points, she’s very likely to win the White House. But that’s still a medium-sized “if.”

And when was the last time a sitting president survived an incoming recession broadside?

Unless there is massive voter suppression or something along those lines, I think this will be an easy win for Biden. He polls better against Trump with every passing week. As of yesterday, he was 11 points ahead in one of the national polls. ( sorry I don't remember which one ) He's tied or ahead of Trump is quite a few states that nobody would think would turn blue this quickly, like Georgia, Texas and Arizona. As long as the election is held and as long as people are able to vote without difficulty, thinks are looking very bad for Trump. I will vote, most likely by mail, but as a poster on WaPo said last week in the comment section, I will vote against Trump if I have to crawl through glass to make it to the polls. A lot of people feel that way.

Trump's hardcore supporters will defend him no matter what he says or does. They are members of a cult. They have drank the Kook-Aide. Nothing will change them, but they are only about a third of voters.

Trump is becoming more and more unhinged by the day. It's quite obvious to most of us.

Unless there is massive voter suppression or something along those lines, I think this will be an easy win for Biden. He polls better against Trump with every passing week. As of yesterday, he was 11 points ahead in one of the national polls. ( sorry I don't remember which one ) He's tied or ahead of Trump is quite a few states that nobody would think would turn blue this quickly, like Georgia, Texas and Arizona. As long as the election is held and as long as people are able to vote without difficulty, thinks are looking very bad for Trump. I will vote, most likely by mail, but as a poster on WaPo said last week in the comment section, I will vote against Trump if I have to crawl through glass to make it to the polls. A lot of people feel that way.

Trump's hardcore supporters will defend him no matter what he says or does. They are members of a cult. They have drank the Kook-Aide. Nothing will change them, but they are only about a third of voters.

Trump is becoming more and more unhinged by the day. It's quite obvious to most of us.
Way to fucking jinx it.

Is this true though? Is he becoming more unhinged? His Presidency started with a tantrum over the reported number of people at his Inauguration.

The difference is that Trump clearly is feeling more and more entitled and less and less restricted with what he can do thanks to the GOP in the House and Senate.

Nixon didn't order the National Guard to fire on the students at Kent State who had taken control of the school. Trump ordered the National Guard to attack protesters that were peacefully protesting in order to get a photo op. What's next?!

What's next is happening in plain sight. He's trying to get his chubby hands around the election process so that, if he loses, he can announce the biggest political crime of American history. (Bigger than Obamagate, and that means big.)

Sure polls right now/today, don't mean a lot for November. The 2018 vote was real and a solid anti-Clownstick message. But, a few days before the 2016 election (never mind the Electoral College):
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-is-just-a-normal-polling-error-behind-clinton/
Four years ago, an average of survey results the week before the election had Obama winning by 1.2 percentage points. He actually beat Mitt Romney by 3.9 points.

If that 2.7-point error doesn’t sound like very much to you, well, it’s very close to what Donald Trump needs to overtake Hillary Clinton in the popular vote. She leads by 3.3 points in our polls-only forecast.

<snip>
And to be clear, we shouldn’t expect a polling error just because national polls struggled in the 2012 presidential election and in some international votes since then. The polling in the 2004 and 2008 presidential elections was quite good (after two elections in which the national polls were well off the mark). Also, in half of the contests since 1968, the final polls missed by a percentage point or less.

Still, Clinton’s lead is small enough that it wouldn’t take more than a normal amount of polling error to wipe the lead out and leave Trump the winner of the national popular vote. If Clinton wins by 3 percentage points, she’s very likely to win the White House. But that’s still a medium-sized “if.”

And when was the last time a sitting president survived an incoming recession broadside?

The economy is down, but there are signs of a rebound already. He'll take credit for as much of it as he can. Yeah, we had a little blip, but we’re back on track. People aren’t blaming him for it anyways. The virus would’ve struck regardless of who was President. They’ll buy that line. I just don’t see Biden pulling this out. Maybe if he picks Kamala Harris as his running mate. She could energize black voters in swing states to come out and vote.

SLD

<snip>

The economy is down, but there are signs of a rebound already.
Sure, there are some improvements. But airlines, restaurants, hotels, et.al. dont' make a profit with 50% max capacity...don't assume this economic shitshow is over.

He'll take credit for as much of it as he can. Yeah, we had a little blip, but we’re back on track. People aren’t blaming him for it anyways. The virus would’ve struck regardless of who was President. They’ll buy that line.
Sure, the Trumpsuckers will, but as has been said before that is only a 1/3 of the voters. HWB faced a mild recession that was already recovering by early summer 2012, little good it did him in November.

I just don’t see Biden pulling this out. Maybe if he picks Kamala Harris as his running mate. She could energize black voters in swing states to come out and vote.

SLD
This is much more about what is wrong with Clownstick than it is about Biden. Biden has been well received by the black community, and if they aren't energized now, then maybe we need a zombie raiser... FFvC's numbers are bad in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, the 3 states he flipped by 0.1% to win. He is even now loosing in Arizona polls, in which his team has been already spending money on. He is only dead even in Texas. They have lots of places to try and defend let alone win. Don the Con's con is 3 years old and tired in lots of ways. At this point, I'd say Clownstick has a lot of digging to do...

The economy is down, but there are signs of a rebound already.
Sure, there are some improvements. But airlines, restaurants, hotels, et.al. dont' make a profit with 50% max capacity...don't assume this economic shitshow is over.

He'll take credit for as much of it as he can. Yeah, we had a little blip, but we’re back on track. People aren’t blaming him for it anyways. The virus would’ve struck regardless of who was President. They’ll buy that line.
Sure, the Trumpsuckers will, but as has been said before that is only a 1/3 of the voters. HWB faced a mild recession that was already recovering by early summer 2012, little good it did him in November.

I just don’t see Biden pulling this out. Maybe if he picks Kamala Harris as his running mate. She could energize black voters in swing states to come out and vote.

SLD
This is much more about what is wrong with Clownstick than it is about Biden. Biden has been well received by the black community, and if they aren't energized now, then maybe we need a zombie raiser... FFvC's numbers are bad in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, the 3 states he flipped by 0.1% to win. He is even now loosing in Arizona polls, in which his team has been already spending money on. He is only dead even in Texas. They have lots of places to try and defend let alone win. Don the Con's con is 3 years old and tired in lots of ways. At this point, I'd say Clownstick has a lot of digging to do...

From a Facebook post and not a Russian bot:

Here is my position on Donald Trump:
Make no mistake...I'm not posting this for debate (for those of you that love to debate every political thing I post...you know who you are!). I don’t seek or need commentary. It's ok if you don't agree because we are all entitled to our own opinions.
Just consider this...when you think the President is a jerk; he is. He’s a New Yorker. He’s crude and he can be rude. He gets his feelings hurt and he’s a hothead. He hits back; harder. The media hates it when he tweets. Why? Because he gets information out that they don’t want to report.

Let me tell you what else:
He’s a guy that demands performance. If you don't work as hard as he does; you're fired!

He is a guy that asks lots of questions. The questions he asks aren’t cloaked in fancy “political” phrases; they are “why" the questions.

For decades the health industry has thrown away billions of face masks after one use. Trump asked, “why are we throwing them away? Why not sterilize them and use them numerous times?” They called him stupid. What are they doing now? Sterilizing face masks.

He’s the guy that gets hospital ships readied in one week when it would have taken bureaucrats weeks or months to get it done.

He’s the guy that gets temporary hospitals built in three days. They said no way he could do it.

He’s the guy that gets auto industries to restructure to build ventilators in a business that’s highly regulated by agencies that move like sloths.

He’s the guy that asks “why aren’t we using drugs that might work on people that are dying; what the hell do we have to lose?”

He’s the guy that restricted travel from China when the Democrats and liberal media were screaming “xenophobia” and “racist.” Now they’re wanting to know why didn't he react sooner?

He’s the guy that campaigned on securing the border - protecting America - in the face of screaming Democrats and the liberal media. (Both Clinton and Obama talked about a crisis at the border and Obama did some things to address the crisis, but they proved insufficient.) When Trump shut down borders in the midst of the corona virus, they screamed louder. Then the rest of the world followed suit, including the European Union with travel between their member countries.

His policy is always 'America First.' For many years we have complained about sending billions abroad, while Americans suffer here. He's minimized that outflow of money.

Has he made mistakes? Yes.
Everyone I know has and does.
The “experts” wouldn’t and haven’t done any better.

Does he change his mind? Yes, who doesn't?

Trump is working harder than I’ve ever seen a President work. Twenty-four-hour days. He isn’t hiding in his office; he’s out front - Briefing - every day.
When he offers hope, they say he’s lying and when he’s straight forward, they say he should be hopeful. It’s a no-win situation, with the MSM, but he will not be deterred.

I’ll take this kind of leadership six days a week and twice on Sunday over a “polished, nice guy” politician who reads prepared speeches from a teleprompter and answers pre-scripted questions.

He is my President.
Copy and share if you agree!
Like it or lump it!

It’s hard to even know where to start. He has drank the Kool aid something fierce.

You still need to get your citizens to vote on the day. Nothing is as worthless as the average opinion poll.

Having polls that say that Biden will win don't choose your president. Only the one poll does. Your system of non-compulsory voting means that many people will take the result, say a Biden win for example for granted, and not turn up when it counts. Come from behind wins are very possible.
Having seen how polls in both Australia and the UK in the last few years that have been so incorrect means that I do not take them seriously.
. Start at about 1:10.

SLD

Don't be so sure about that. This is the only part you really need to pay attention to in order to see if the determination that this is NOT from a Russian bot could be wrong:

It’s hard to even know where to start. He has drank the Kool aid something fierce.

Regardless of whether or not you got the above from the Facebook page of someone you know personally, I guarantee you that person did not write it. This is what they were told to think, and they were told to copy and paste it to show that they are following along with their group. Chances are not all that bad that the actual words were written by a Russian, and initially deployed by bots to Facebook. Is the Facebook account that you got this from any less a Russian bot because there was an actual person behind it who hit ctrl +c followed by ctrl +v?

Don't be so sure about that. This is the only part you really need to pay attention to in order to see if the determination that this is NOT from a Russian bot could be wrong:

Regardless of whether or not you got the above from the Facebook page of someone you know personally, I guarantee you that person did not write it. This is what they were told to think, and they were told to copy and paste it to show that they are following along with their group. Chances are not all that bad that the actual words were written by a Russian, and initially deployed by bots to Facebook. Is the Facebook account that you got this from any less a Russian bot because there was an actual person behind it who hit ctrl +c followed by ctrl +v?

I’m ashamed to admit that he’s a relative. Fortunately living in a different state.

SLD

<Trumpsucker noise>

Yeah, I get it. I have evangelical proud redneck in-laws that fawn over Clownstick and post the dumbest of shit politically on Facebook.

But, they are not anything close to the plurality of voters. They may be 15-20%. They are not the 5-10% of swing voters that both sides covet and hope to get their notice. Bill Clinton's adviser was spot on with "Its the economy, stupid". The 'health care system' is teetering ever more so with it more broken than it was 3 years ago, coal is not great again, farmers are not exactly happy (not that many would change their vote, but some could stay home), the opioid crisis is still here, Clownstick did nothing on infrastructure, et.al. Don's con is old and tired. I really think that tons of voters are energized and pissed and will help provide a referendum on the 3 year old cesspool growing in DC.

SLD

Just consider this...when you think the President is a jerk; he is. He’s a New Yorker. He’s crude and he can be rude. He gets his feelings hurt and he’s a hothead. He hits back; harder. The media hates it when he tweets. Why? Because he gets information out that they don’t want to report.

The tweets are full of misinformation.

Let me tell you what else:
He’s a guy that demands performance. If you don't work as hard as he does; you're fired!

Working as hard as he does is no challenge at all.

He is a guy that asks lots of questions. The questions he asks aren’t cloaked in fancy “political” phrases; they are “why" the questions.

They are questions that show fundamental ignorance.

For decades the health industry has thrown away billions of face masks after one use. Trump asked, “why are we throwing them away? Why not sterilize them and use them numerous times?” They called him stupid. What are they doing now? Sterilizing face masks.

Because you degrade them when you sterilize them. A sterilized mask is better than no mask but not as good as a new mask.

He’s the guy that gets hospital ships readied in one week when it would have taken bureaucrats weeks or months to get it done.

And got them infected in the process.

He’s the guy that gets temporary hospitals built in three days. They said no way he could do it.

Where did he build a temporary hospital??

He’s the guy that gets auto industries to restructure to build ventilators in a business that’s highly regulated by agencies that move like sloths.

He's the guy who ordered them to do what they were already doing--and then cancelled the order when he didn't like the price tag.

He’s the guy that asks “why aren’t we using drugs that might work on people that are dying; what the hell do we have to lose?”

Because there was no reason to think they would do any good and history has shown that was the case--all he did was kill people.

He’s the guy that restricted travel from China when the Democrats and liberal media were screaming “xenophobia” and “racist.” Now they’re wanting to know why didn't he react sooner?

Except he never stopped the flights, just restricted them to Americans--but by then they had pretty much stopped anyway because people didn't want to fly. Meanwhile the "quarantine" of people on those flights was a total joke.

He’s the guy that campaigned on securing the border - protecting America - in the face of screaming Democrats and the liberal media. (Both Clinton and Obama talked about a crisis at the border and Obama did some things to address the crisis, but they proved insufficient.) When Trump shut down borders in the midst of the corona virus, they screamed louder. Then the rest of the world followed suit, including the European Union with travel between their member countries.

He campaigned on a racist symbol of closing the border. His wall won't work--most people don't come in that way anyway and as we have seen the wall can be climbed or cut.

His policy is always 'America First.' For many years we have complained about sending billions abroad, while Americans suffer here. He's minimized that outflow of money.

His policy is Trump first, screw America.

Has he made mistakes? Yes.
Everyone I know has and does.
The “experts” wouldn’t and haven’t done any better.

Nobody at the helm would have done better than he has.

Does he change his mind? Yes, who doesn't?

Changing your mind requires having one in the first place.

Trump is working harder than I’ve ever seen a President work. Twenty-four-hour days. He isn’t hiding in his office; he’s out front - Briefing - every day.

Note how many golf days he has taken.

Back
Top Bottom