• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Butker Speech

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
According to a lot of people a football player made a speech, which made him an instant hero and villain to many. The reports on the speech are limited, here is the text. It is slightly sugar coated awful. Borderline anti-Semetic:
Congress just passed a bill where stating something as basic as the biblical teaching of who killed Jesus could land you in jail.
Christian dominionist:
No. Today, our shepherds are far more concerned with keeping the doors open to the chancery than they are with saying the difficult stuff out loud.
And anti-women in the work force.
Heterodox ideas abound even within Catholic circles. But let's be honest, there is nothing good about playing God with having children — whether that be your ideal number or the perfect time to conceive. No matter how you spin it, there is nothing natural about Catholic birth control.
The dude brings up anal sex in a Graduation speech, and is beloved by the Christian Dominionists.

It always struck me as disingenuous to discuss the identity of the people who killed Jesus.

The people who killed Jesus were "those who were invested religious profiteering".

Some were Jews, some were Romans. Jesus was followed by both Jews and gentiles, and killed by both as well, of the story is to be believed as real.

Jesus was killed by religiously sanctioned greed, for calling out sanctimonious cash grabbers selling indulgences.

Catholics did the same.

So did Evangelicals.

Putting it specifically on "Jews" is antisemitic.

The problem here is that recognizing the class of people killed Jesus is generally going to be unflattering to religious interests even today.

I'd heard about the speech, but boy...he's got some wild stuff in there.

He seems to have forgotten who was President during the year of the pandemic lockdowns, and it is notable that he called it "the COVID fiasco." It was indeed a fiasco due to Trump's mishandling of the situation, and I'm gonna guess he hasn't gotten his latest booster shot.

He then lays directly into Biden over abortion, but not an unkind word about the serial philanderer who almost certainly paid to end a few unwanted pregnancies. He has an...interesting take on a Martin Scorsese passion project (an excellent film he probably didn't even watch) and seems to have missed that whole long history of his church abusing children and covering it up.

Then he says that the Catholic faith - led by an incredibly rich and powerful institution that ruled large parts of Europe for awhile and engaged in centuries of wars and crusades - "...has always been countercultural." A hot take to be sure.

Then he goes on a long and winding ramble about priests, and the takeaway seems to be that a priest should be viewed as our superiors, saying "The bishops and priests appointed by God as our spiritual fathers must be rightly ordered." Yes, they made some mistakes along the way, but that's just because they were afraid of being sued or prosecuted for things like...oh...I dunno...decades and decades of child molestation. Oh, and yes, lots of people died in the many plagues that happened while the Catholic church was a de facto empire, but the real tragedy is that so many of those died without receiving the sacraments. Oh...the horror.

He wraps up that section - where he complains about the lack of leadership at length - by saying "Focusing on my vocation while praying and fasting for these men will do more for the Church than me complaining about her leaders."

Then comes the part that has been getting all the attention from the evil, liberal media, where he tells the female students that they wasted their money getting an education but they can make up for that mistake by spending the rest of their lives serving a husband and popping out new Catholics. And you young men out there? Don't be a wuss! You must be a manly man who only gets on his knees when there's a priest present! Then he ends with demanding more fealty to church authority, and exhorts the students to go out in the world and find a place where there's a good, traditional, ultra-conservative parish.

I thought commencement speeches were supposed to contain a little bit more encouragement to graduating students about to go out into the world. I know there's no rebuttal given to commencement speeches, but if I had the chance, I'd encourage them to watch Hitchens deliver a "Hitch-slap" to the Catholic Church. I'm guessing Butker hasn't seen it.

I do wish he would have toned down the graphic talk about anal sex. Does he not know that there were children there?

I do wish he would have toned down the graphic talk about anal sex. Does he not know that there were children there?
What does anal sex have that makes it any different from sex in general that makes it particularly more inappropriate to bring up in front of kids?

Of course, the "anal sex" part wasn't the biggie. It was the give your womb to God part.

"there is nothing good about playing God with having children"

He isn't talk just about anal, but birth control (pill and condoms), and IVF. That pregnancy is god's will. IE, if you get pregnant, that was god... not you.

What does anal sex have that makes it any different from sex in general that makes it particularly more inappropriate to bring up in front of kids?
I'm being dead serious here BTW. Go ahead. Say it out loud for the class why you single out anal sex.

Of course, the "anal sex" part wasn't the biggie. It was the give your womb to God part.

He isn't talk just about anal, but birth control (pill and condoms), and IVF. That pregnancy is god's will. IE, if you get pregnant, that was god... not you.
Not to mention Matthew 19:12 seems to indicate not having kids is just fine, and that it's not actually God's will for anyone to reproduce.

I'm seeing some red flags here... He's preaching masculinism. In his job, he surrounds himself with men. He's making sure everyone knows he has a wife. Then, he's talking about anal sex... What's his position again? Kicker.

Look, I'm not saying he DEFINITELY went to gay conversion camp where the priests exorcised/exercised the gay out of him and then he had a relationship with a male cheerleader while in college, but that dude has some secrets.

I'm seeing some red flags here... He's preaching masculinism. In his job, he surrounds himself with men. He's making sure everyone knows he has a wife. Then, he's talking about anal sex... What's his position again? Kicker.

Look, I'm not saying he DEFINITELY went to gay conversion camp where the priests exorcised/exercised the gay out of him and then he had a relationship with a male cheerleader while in college, but that dude has some secrets.
Are you saying his name is missing a [tfuc]?

(Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

I'm being dead serious here BTW. Go ahead. Say it out loud for the class why you single out anal sex.

Not to mention Matthew 19:12 seems to indicate not having kids is just fine, and that it's not actually God's will for anyone to reproduce.
Dude, did you read the actual text that JH posted? There is no specific mention of anal sex anywhere in the text. JH put words into Butker's mouth regarding Butker's mention of Catholic birth control, so I was making a joke. Its been a long time since I even thought or heard about Catholic BC (I suspect the vast majority use it, either open or on the down low), but in the olden days it used to be just the rhytm method (and abstinence, of course). Anal and oral I guess were always on the table, but rarely discussed. But, I understand young Catholics these days do have anal and oral sex so as not to violate Church teachings or their purity pledges. As an atheist I think its all fucking ridiculous, and there is shit ton of nuttery in Catholicism. If people want to have anal sex, go for it. Doesn't bother me. I don't have kids so I'm not the one to ask about teaching it to the youngsters, and I don't really care much. You should ask people on this forum who have young kids if you want answers on that.

Dude, did you read the actual text that JH posted? There is no specific mention of anal sex anywhere in the text. JH put words into Butker's mouth regarding Butker's mention of Catholic birth control, so I was making a joke. Its been a long time since I even thought or heard about Catholic BC (I suspect the vast majority use it, either open or on the down low), but in the olden days it used to be just the rhytm method (and abstinence, of course). Anal and oral I guess were always on the table, but rarely discussed. But, I understand young Catholics these days do have anal and oral sex so as not to violate Church teachings or their purity pledges. As an atheist I think its all fucking ridiculous, and there is shit ton of nuttery in Catholicism. If people want to have anal sex, go for it. Doesn't bother me. I don't have kids so I'm not the one to ask about teaching it to the youngsters, and I don't really care much.
Wow, that's a lot of words to end with "You should ask people on this forum who have young kids if you want answers on that."

It's almost like you're prevaricating answering the question as to why you think anal sex is somehow more inappropriate, seeing as you ended your post claiming it wasn't with an implication that people ought to expect that it is.

You could have just answered the question like "it's not; I should not have singled out anal sex".

I kinda thought "killing Jesus" was a big part of the christian thing.

IIRC it was a big part of the officially sanctioned bigotry that the kicker's church pushed until about a year before I was born. Heaven forbid we mention that!

IIRC it was a big part of the officially sanctioned bigotry that the kicker's church pushed until about a year before I was born. Heaven forbid we mention that!
I was referring to the rising from the dead thing. You know the whole point of Christianity.

I was referring to the rising from the dead thing. You know the whole point of Christianity.
Yeah, it is definitely a snuff film with a twist.

Ah. I thought it was the whole "the Jews killed Christ!" thing...where the church spent centuries trying to pin the blame for the crucifiction on the Jewish people rather than the Romans.

Ah. I thought it was the whole "the Jews killed Christ!" thing...where the church spent centuries trying to pin the blame for the crucifiction on the Jewish people rather than the Romans.
I still find it quite telling that they never actually attempted to pin the blame where it actually belonged: on those who despoiled the sanctity of the temple with greed, and took issue at being called out for it for a day.

Dude, did you read the actual text that JH posted? There is no specific mention of anal sex anywhere in the text. JH put words into Butker's mouth regarding Butker's mention of Catholic birth control, so I was making a joke. Its been a long time since I even thought or heard about Catholic BC (I suspect the vast majority use it, either open or on the down low), but in the olden days it used to be just the rhytm method (and abstinence, of course). Anal and oral I guess were always on the table, but rarely discussed. But, I understand young Catholics these days do have anal and oral sex so as not to violate Church teachings or their purity pledges. As an atheist I think its all fucking ridiculous, and there is shit ton of nuttery in Catholicism. If people want to have anal sex, go for it. Doesn't bother me. I don't have kids so I'm not the one to ask about teaching it to the youngsters, and I don't really care much.
Wow, that's a lot of words to end with "You should ask people on this forum who have young kids if you want answers on that."

It's almost like you're prevaricating answering the question as to why you think anal sex is somehow more inappropriate, seeing as you ended your post claiming it wasn't with an implication that people ought to expect that it is.

You could have just answered the question like "it's not; I should not have singled out anal sex".
Jimmy was the one who brought up the subject of anal sex, and no other type of sex in the OP. That's why my tongue-in-cheek response concerning the children only refers to anal sex. Not because I think anal sex is some sort of evil, immoral type of sex, and thus I purposely singled it out. The context is important here. Sorry about the wordiness of my answer, though. I do tend to get a little carried away sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom